Read any good books lately?

By Phoenix Guard, in UFS Off Topic

or Comic books/Manga. Currently reading Yendi by Steven Brust and the Rage of the Red Lanterns arc in the main Green Lantern comic series.

my last book was Ghost/Aliens because lately, i can't read anything serious xD

The most recent books I've read were the Republic Commando series of Star Wars. They revolve around cloning and the ethical implications there-of.

Phoenix Guard said:

or Comic books/Manga. Currently reading Yendi by Steven Brust and the Rage of the Red Lanterns arc in the main Green Lantern comic series.

Great call. The Brust books are some of my absolute favorites; I'm pretty sure I own all the Taltos/Dragaera books, but I'm missing a few stand-alones.

Best book I read this year? Little Brother , by Cory Doctorow.

I also read two Charles Stross books over the past month ( Halting State and Jennifer Morgue ) that were excellent.

I just read the Street Fighter Legends graphic novels, and the Sakura bonus book. Surprisingly good reads considering the source. (Let's be honest: these characters were created to be colorful and interesting avatars for a game where characters hit and kick each other. The fact that any kind of story can hold together around that framework is pretty impressive. The fact that it's not that bad of a story is near amazing.)

On my list? Heaven's Net is Wide (the Tales of the Otori prequel), Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, the Dresden Files (all of them) by Jim Butcher, and Domino Men (the sequel to The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes) when it arrives in the mail next month.

Almost tempted to just copypasta the bibliography for a Sexual Identity Theory course I'm taking and leave it at that.

I just finished with Bret Hart's autobiography. it is a great read and I highly recommend it.

kimano said:

I just finished with Bret Hart's autobiography. it is a great read and I highly recommend it.

Isn't that the one where he openly admits on cheating on his wife?

I'm reading The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud. It's very interesting.

Homme Chapeau said:

kimano said:

Isn't that the one where he openly admits on cheating on his wife?

yep. he repeatly admits to it.

Actually no, I'm reading bad books right now. I've repeatedly told people how bad Laurell K. Hamilton is as an author and that the Anita Blake series is nothing but non-existant character develepment and random sex. Then someone asked me if I actually read the books, which I had to reply "no." So I'm currently reading through them at the library during free time so I can intelligently complain about them...

I'm stuck on book 9, I can only get a few pages before I vomit a bit inside of my mouth.

on a side note of good recent books I've read, Robin McKinley's Sunshine is good, and I've been having fun re-reading the original Gundam trilogy novels by Yoshiyuki Tomino and my Battletech books ^_^

quarzark said:

Actually no, I'm reading bad books right now. I've repeatedly told people how bad Laurell K. Hamilton is as an author and that the Anita Blake series is nothing but non-existant character develepment and random sex. Then someone asked me if I actually read the books, which I had to reply "no." So I'm currently reading through them at the library during free time so I can intelligently complain about them...

Alexis Berbiguier de Terre-Neuve du Thym is arguably worse, but then again we're talking about literature crazies from two centuries past, so yeah.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of my favorite reads. Other than that, I've been catching up on FullMetal Alchemist, and the Star Wars: Coruscant Nights series. Oh, and I just finished Inkheart last week.

Just finished "This is your brain on music". It was actually pretty fantastic.

I'm reading the Watchmen comics. Also finished "Looking for Alaska" by John Green.

i just went on a death note spree. other than that haven't read anything in a while.

Finished Storm Front (Book 1 of the Dresden Files). Quite pleased.

Next up: Graveyard Book , followed by Domino Men , then the Night Angel trilogy.