Feint and Ranged Attacks

By Darth Smeg, in Dark Heresy House Rules

I was reading this thread about Accurate Damage, and Chester pointed out that Single-shot attacks are often completely negated by a Dodge, whereas auto-fire will still have a chance to get a few hots in, and melee combatants often have more than one attack.

Another thread discussed dodging ranged attacks, suggesting variants were dodging had to be declared before the attack roll was made, etc.

The point being, you do not dodge the bullet, you move out of the way when you see an enemy pointing his gun at you.

So... why not Feint? Point the gun, as if you were going to shoot, but wait.... then shoot after he has made a nice little acrobatics roll to the left.

Make an opposed BS test (basically pitting your weapon-handling skill Vs the targets ability to "read" your actions). If you win, your next shot cannot be Dodged.

What do you think?

Darth Smeg said:

I was reading this thread about Accurate Damage, and Chester pointed out that Single-shot attacks are often completely negated by a Dodge, whereas auto-fire will still have a chance to get a few hots in, and melee combatants often have more than one attack.

Another thread discussed dodging ranged attacks, suggesting variants were dodging had to be declared before the attack roll was made, etc.

The point being, you do not dodge the bullet, you move out of the way when you see an enemy pointing his gun at you.

So... why not Feint? Point the gun, as if you were going to shoot, but wait.... then shoot after he has made a nice little acrobatics roll to the left.

Make an opposed BS test (basically pitting your weapon-handling skill Vs the targets ability to "read" your actions). If you win, your next shot cannot be Dodged.

What do you think?

I quite like this.

I think it is at least as plausible as dodging a bullet that was fired from 100m away, and it does make a kind of cinematic sense. It would be a close combat thing in my mind, so I would include a limitation on range, be that an exact figure (for example: limited to short range or less, but no greater than 20m) or an situation/narrative based guideline (e.g. you must be within the target's immediate area of notice/attention or the target must be eligable to dodge).

Zakalwe said:

I quite like this.

I think it is at least as plausible as dodging a bullet that was fired from 100m away, and it does make a kind of cinematic sense. It would be a close combat thing in my mind, so I would include a limitation on range, be that an exact figure (for example: limited to short range or less, but no greater than 20m) or an situation/narrative based guideline (e.g. you must be within the target's immediate area of notice/attention or the target must be eligable to dodge).

Quite. Obviously you must be able to see that the shooter is "feinting", but if you do not see the shooter pointing the gun, then you are not aware of the attack either. In which case you may not Dodge anyway. Being "aware" of a shot fired 200m away is a bit silly. Claiming to hunker down and move fast to avoid fire is covered by the Run and Tactical Advance maneuvers anyway.

Agreed, please let us know how it plays if you try this out. It might be just the ticket for fighting those pesky Vindicares everyone seems so unhappy with.