Zorka 's magnifier clarification

By aegean, in Tannhauser

Zorka may attack an opponent who he is adjacent to a voivode like was adjacent to her?

Yes we can! Sorry, SHE can.

she may attack simultaneously to an adjacent target and that near the voivode or she must choose one...

aegean said:

she may attack simultaneously to an adjacent target and that near the voivode or she must choose one...?

aegean said:

she may attack simultaneously to an adjacent target and that near the voivode or she must choose one...

She must choose one, otherwise it would be too powerful in my opinion

PsychoWolf is right, she may only target one character- either one adjacent to her or one adjacent to a Voivode. But she attacks not only her target but every character that's standing near the target (up to three circles away I think). She also attacks friendly characters standing in this area, only Voivodes and Zor'ka herself are immune to these attacks.

Yes, Zor'ka chooses the tatget, but all characters that can be targeted are shot simultaneously:

Zor'ka hits a character near her, but she always shoots the characters (friends o foes) within 3 circles of the target, near Voivodes, and near Smiljan Module too without choise.

I don't remember if characters within 3 circles of the target of Voivodes/Smilian Module are hit too using magnifier...

Carlos Castaneda said:

I don't remember if characters within 3 circles of the target of Voivodes/Smilian Module are hit too using magnifier...

She should hit them, too, if strictly playing by the rules.

Carlos Castaneda said:

Yes, Zor'ka chooses the tatget, but all characters that can be targeted are shot simultaneously:

Zor'ka hits a character near her, but she always shoots the characters (friends o foes) within 3 circles of the target, near Voivodes, and near Smiljan Module too without choise.

Strictly by the rules (Revised, p.57) it should work like this:

1) Zor'ka targets and attacks one character that is adjacent to her, any Voivodes or a Similjan Coil (or on a coil).

2) After the first attack is complete, if there are any other characters (friend or enemy) within three circles of the targeted character, a Magnifier attack must be rolled for each of these characters. Line of Sight is not needed for these extra attacks. As ??! wrote, Zor'ka herself and Voivodes are immune

Eiko is right, only the target that Zor'ka chose and characters within 3 circles of the target are attacked. The magnifier rules just state that circles adjacent to or containing a Smiljan Coil or Module are considered to be adjacent to Zor'ka and therefor may be attacked, the rules don't say that all characters on all those circles are automatically attacked.

Yes, it's right, sorry: I hadn't rule book in the vicinity.

Eiko said:

Carlos Castaneda said:

Strictly by the rules (Revised, p.57) it should work like this:

1) Zor'ka targets and attacks one character that is adjacent to her, any Voivodes or a Similjan Coil (or on a coil).

2) After the first attack is complete, if there are any other characters (friend or enemy) within three circles of the targeted character, a Magnifier attack must be rolled for each of these characters. Line of Sight is not needed for these extra attacks. As ??! wrote, Zor'ka herself and Voivodes are immune

I don't see in the rules where Zor'ka is immune to the magnifier.

I'm fairly certian that there is an official ruling from FFG stating she and her Voivodes are immune.

I asked FFG and they stated that Zor'ka and the Voivodes are immune to the magnifier. I posted the questinons regarding Zor'ka and the answers in the topic "Issue with Zor'ka".

Zor'ka can also attack an empty circle adjacent to her, enemy within or not, just to "trigger" the effect of the Magnifier on 3 circles around here and hit multiple targets with only one attack for example, is that right ?

Can she actually do that? The rules concerning the Magnifier always talk about targeting characters, they never mention that this weapon actually targets circles. Weapons that targets circles instead of characters (e.g. Irishka's or Ramirez' weapons) have rules that specifically state this ability.

I have never played with the revised rules and that's why I remember that in the first French edition of the rules, Zor'ka had this possibility.

So now, with the actual rules, she must come to a circle adjacent to a target in order to attack ? This is very restrictive…

Zor'ka can also attack if a Voivode is adjacent to the target, so you have more options. If you use Zor'ka's Command pack, you can even move a Voivode immediately before Zor'ka attacks, denying your opponent the chance to destroy the Voivode or avoid the attack.

Here are the french clarifications of the 1st rules:

" Attaque directe:

Zor'ka frappe une case adjacente vide située sur son Pathfinding. Elle ne désigne pas de cible et l'attaque se propage à l'ensemble du Pathfinding. Si Zor'ka n'a pas de case adjacente libre mais qu'un Voïvode lui est adjacent et sur le même Pathfinding , elle peut frapper sur le Voïvode. Le résultat est le même.

Attaque indirecte: (par relais)

Zor'ka a également la possibilité d'envoyer une décharge en passant par un Voïvode où qu'il se trouve sur la carte. Pour cela Zor'ka n'a pas besoin de frapper le sol, il lui suffit de désigner le Voïvode qui servira de relais. Dans ce cas la décharge se fera uniquement sur les cases adjacentes au Voïvode désigné et les figurines touchées ne subissent pas le malus de Physique. Cette attaque constitue la Phase d'Action de Zor'ka, et non du Voïvode. Il est donc tout à fait possible de choisir comme relais un Voïvode qui a déjà été joué ce Tour-ci."

The indirect attack via a Voïvod seems to be the same as v2 of the rules : the attack reaches all adjacent circles around it

The direct attack was IMO better and more simple: Zor'ka hits the ground on an empty adjacent circle, no need to have a target. The attack spreads on all the circles of the same Path, hitting foes and allies. I found it more logical and coherent with the character.

I guess the designers from FFG found the direct attack too powerful ?

Sorry, it's been to long since I actually had to read French, so I'm unable to comment on that. But the attack really seems to be powerful. The new rules make Zor'ka's attack more easy to control as it requires a target and only works within 3 circles, but it's also easier to control for the player controlling Zor'ka because it's easier for him to keep his other characters away from the blast.