News: Spawn of the Sleeper launched / CoC League about to begin

By marius8, in CoC General Discussion

Promos are a pain in the $#%# to collect, Dr. Zoltar. Agreed. And that's exactly the point. They are outside of the set, more weird in their origin than the rare card. There is even less a certainty that it can be acquired. To this day I am still desparately seeking The Challenge From Beyond. Would I rather that card never existed? Of course not. These cards have intrinsic special value. Be it the first Cthulhu, Cthulhu for President, Tentacular, Nameless, Mr Six, or the Yithians, they are their own genre and are the place where things in the game that can't be, are allowed if only for a little time - see the stories and tentacular. I have never had the pleasure to compete in a tournament. I live in New England. Cthulhu is a rare occurence here. Must be because we're so far removed from the mythos, WHICH MOSTLY TAKE PLACE RIGHT *$%# HERE! My point here is that I never had the official means to acquire promos. For me they have always been completely community based, which is a good thing.

I would like some promo's. The text mentions them:

Future league kit prize packs will vary, and will include playmats, promos, and other custom Call of Cthulhu Prizes.

Art prints are nice, but I would really like promo's that have to do with the actual game. It's a good incentive to have players show up. I hope this means FFG's have reconcidered the "Promo's have no place in the LCG" stance. Yup, promo's give some players a small edge over others, which is more appearant in a fixed deck situation, but... What good promo's have we seen before? Cthulhu for President was the only really playable one. Others, like "Shadows over Cairo" where funny, but only in the context of the tournaments they came with, so it wouldn't be really that unbalancing.

So, promo's yay! I hope some will be included ASAP.

they might make collecting promos easier too. since they said before they want all cards availble to everyone, they might sell them in the store or have some thing when you buy x amount(s) of asylum packs you get a free promo along with it.

johnny shoes said:

Promos are a pain in the $#%# to collect, Dr. Zoltar. Agreed. And that's exactly the point. They are outside of the set, more weird in their origin than the rare card. There is even less a certainty that it can be acquired. To this day I am still desparately seeking The Challenge From Beyond. Would I rather that card never existed? Of course not. These cards have intrinsic special value. Be it the first Cthulhu, Cthulhu for President, Tentacular, Nameless, Mr Six, or the Yithians, they are their own genre and are the place where things in the game that can't be, are allowed if only for a little time - see the stories and tentacular. I have never had the pleasure to compete in a tournament. I live in New England. Cthulhu is a rare occurence here. Must be because we're so far removed from the mythos, WHICH MOSTLY TAKE PLACE RIGHT *$%# HERE! My point here is that I never had the official means to acquire promos. For me they have always been completely community based, which is a good thing.

I didn't think "Challenge from Beyond" actually got printed?

Marius said:

I would like some promo's. The text mentions them:

Future league kit prize packs will vary, and will include playmats, promos, and other custom Call of Cthulhu Prizes.

Art prints are nice, but I would really like promo's that have to do with the actual game. It's a good incentive to have players show up. I hope this means FFG's have reconcidered the "Promo's have no place in the LCG" stance. Yup, promo's give some players a small edge over others, which is more appearant in a fixed deck situation, but... What good promo's have we seen before? Cthulhu for President was the only really playable one. Others, like "Shadows over Cairo" where funny, but only in the context of the tournaments they came with, so it wouldn't be really that unbalancing.

So, promo's yay! I hope some will be included ASAP.

It says promos, not promo cards. Technically everything they give you in the prize kits is promotional: the poker chips and decks of cards all have Cthulhu art on them. The Art prints are as well. Anything that shows off the game is promotional. They might mean promo cards, but until I see them, or they say promo cards, I'm defaulting to their "Promo cards have no place in the LCG".

Shoes, if you need "The Challenge From Beyond", seven folks have it up for trade on Mahasamatman.com. Joining is free, and it is a great site. I've traded there for all the promos I couldn't easily score. Check it out.

Big Show, YEP, tCfB was definitely printed.

Chick

Dang, that sucks. Was it a super super promo, because I've never seen it on EBay or anywhere else.

Gonna have to find me a copy of that.

Oh, I'm perfectly aware of the the seven Challenge traders. I respect that they should drive a hard bargain for this card. Instead, I'm finding...let's call them steep requests. No one trades away multiple AE block rares for one such card. But that's pretty much the type of offers I have found. With respect to those traders, I'll be in touch to try again, thanks.

might be a crap shoot but email ffg and see if they can hook you up. never know.

Thanks for the idea. I'd rather give them something home made cthulhu in return, so as not to contribute to an avalanche precedent.

@johnny: i still got a few and i wont ask very much. no pm system, so send me an email to [email protected]

Good work, Thorondor. You really are one of the good guys.

Chick

Bunch of good guys on this site!