Hastur/Cthulhu deck

By Bearpaw, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

I really like the Hastur faction, and I've combined it here with Cthulhu. The idea is to drive most of my opponent's characters insane, removing terror icons with Messenger from Beyond and Scotophobia. Victoria's Loft can keep them insane, while The Sirens of Hell and Wandering Inmate can remove them from play.

This deck is weak in the combat struggle, but I think it should be able to remove my opponent's combat characters in the terror struggle. Nightstalker and Sleep of Reason add terror struggles in an attempt to drive more characters insane. Opponent's willpower characters should be the first target for cards like Deep One Assault and Deep One Rising.

This is my first attempt at building a deck of my own, and I think this is a decent deck. But then again I haven't played this game a whole lot, so I could be wrong. I'm toying with the idea of switching out the Cthulhu faction for Shub-Niggurath, but I'd like some feedback on this one first. It only has 12 Cthulhu faction cards, so might it be a good idea to switch in some more, to make resourcing for Deep One Assault easier?

32 Characters

3x Deep One Rising
3x Silver Twilight Temptress
3x Bearer of the Yellow Sign
3x Demon Lover
1x •Hastur, Lord of Carcosa
3x Messenger from Beyond
3x Nightstalker
3x Thing from the Stars
2x •Victoria Glasser, The Society Hostess
3x Wandering Inmate
2x •Descendant of Eibon, Master of the Black Arts
3x Seeker of Mysteries

9 Events

3x Deep One Assault
3x Scotophobia
3x The Sirens of Hell

9 Support

3x Sleep of Reason
3x Victoria's Loft
3x Tcho-Tcho Talisman

Total 50

Note: Crossposted on boardgamegeek.com.

i like the synergy your deck has. seems like it would be a lot of fun to play with. im new so i not much help on deck suggestion but overall it seems to look pretty good.

I'd honestly love to use this deck, but I fear that it's hard to get the other cards of the core set, I might consider buying 2 more who knows.

Great deck definitely use it as reference, are most of these cards out of core and SoA?

Kerrigan said:

I really like the Hastur faction, and I've combined it here with Cthulhu. The idea is to drive most of my opponent's characters insane, removing terror icons with Messenger from Beyond and Scotophobia. Victoria's Loft can keep them insane, while The Sirens of Hell and Wandering Inmate can remove them from play.

This deck is weak in the combat struggle, but I think it should be able to remove my opponent's combat characters in the terror struggle. Nightstalker and Sleep of Reason add terror struggles in an attempt to drive more characters insane. Opponent's willpower characters should be the first target for cards like Deep One Assault and Deep One Rising.

This is my first attempt at building a deck of my own, and I think this is a decent deck. But then again I haven't played this game a whole lot, so I could be wrong. I'm toying with the idea of switching out the Cthulhu faction for Shub-Niggurath, but I'd like some feedback on this one first. It only has 12 Cthulhu faction cards, so might it be a good idea to switch in some more, to make resourcing for Deep One Assault easier?

32 Characters

3x Deep One Rising
3x Silver Twilight Temptress
3x Bearer of the Yellow Sign
3x Demon Lover
1x •Hastur, Lord of Carcosa
3x Messenger from Beyond
3x Nightstalker
3x Thing from the Stars
2x •Victoria Glasser, The Society Hostess
3x Wandering Inmate
2x •Descendant of Eibon, Master of the Black Arts
3x Seeker of Mysteries

9 Events

3x Deep One Assault
3x Scotophobia
3x The Sirens of Hell

9 Support

3x Sleep of Reason
3x Victoria's Loft
3x Tcho-Tcho Talisman

Total 50

Note: Crossposted on boardgamegeek.com.

A good thing to remember is that all characters with a terror icon are immune to terror effects. You have a total of 7 cards that remove terror icons (only 3 are reusable in Messenger, 3 are one-time in Scotophobia, and 1 is Hastur which you only have at x1 and will be late game.) You definitely have no problem with terror, but as you said, you have low combat, and since most monsters, and even some investigator factions have decent combat, your characters will be dying left and right with little impact. Another problem is your cthulhu card count, which will prove problematic with resource matching for your cheap cards early on, and for Deep One Assault (which is Loyal so all resources used to pay X must be cthulhu). To make room, I'd suggest taking out Tcho-Tcho Talisman (you have enough terror), Thing from the Stars (bad character with crappy icon spread), and Bearer of the yellow sign (also not a great character which is expensive for an effect that may not trigger often). I'm also not that impressed with Sirens of Hell (it's a 2 or 3 for 1).

Do you have any more thoughts after playing with it a little while?

This is my own Cthulhu/Hastur attempt:
Character
Bloated Leng Spider (IotF) x3
Demon Lover (Core) x3
Hastur (Core) x2
Innsmouth Troublemaker (Core) x3
Keeper of the Golden Path (Core) x3
Ocean Crawlers (Core) x3
Old Man of the Woods (TOotST) x3
Somnambulant Dreamer (TWC) x3
Victoria Glasser (Core) x3
Horrific Shoggoth (IotF) x3
Support
Sword of Y'ha-tallo (Core) x3
Scalpel (TGS) x3
Sleep of Reason (Core) x1
Event
Devoured by Shadow (AoA) x3
Primal Fear (SoA) x2
Scotophobia (Core) x3
Power Drain (Core) x3
Deep One Assault (Core) x3
I don't have time to type up a description right now, so I'll get back to that. But I seem to recall that the Keeper of the Golden Path was replaced with a more combat oriented character. :)