Improvements pile

By RAVENTROLL, in Blood Bowl: Team Manager

Hello all,

Just finished reading the rules and was wondering about the improvements pile. I don't have a copy of the game and the topic of upgrading seems vague. When you add an upgrade, does it become a seperate deck or do you just place it in front of you face up to use accordingly. Also, the 'roster' is mentioned but not specified. Is the roster your 'player' draw and discard pile?

Thanks in advance and have a good day!

Serge G

Raventroll said:

Hello all,

Just finished reading the rules and was wondering about the improvements pile. I don't have a copy of the game and the topic of upgrading seems vague. When you add an upgrade, does it become a seperate deck or do you just place it in front of you face up to use accordingly. Also, the 'roster' is mentioned but not specified. Is the roster your 'player' draw and discard pile?

Thanks in advance and have a good day!

Serge G

When you pick up an upgrade it just sits in front of you and you can use it accordingly. Most upgrades either get tapped or discarded. A few are just permanent that only activate at specific times

Your roster is all your players hand+draw+discarded. The only players that wouldn't count as being in your roster are those in your improvement pile, because they haven't been added in yet.

So if you pick up a freebooter for example you may discard any player in your roster then you shuffle your whole roster again. Regular Star players then go on top of your draw pile in so they are immediately available at the start of the next match. If you draw a freebooter and a regular star player do the freebooter shuffle first then stack your star player. It's all in the rules, but it's important to pay attention to the order of events.

Your improvement pile is essentially just the few cards you won that round in the highlights. Basically, they want everyone to draw all of their payouts and then go around the table with each player presenting all of the new cards they now have. The improvement pile is just a fancy name for those payouts that you're about to put in your deck or lay out in front of you.

With, say the team improvements, how do you tell if they are 1-off powers? The card doesn't say so, and I can't find it in the rules. For instance, there is a skaven power that gives them 2 fans for each highlight they lose. Does that work all the time, or once? It is pretty powerful if it is used all the time.

If the card says something like gain 2 fan factor for every highlight they lose. Then you do gain 2 fan factor for every highlight you lose. And yes those cards are pretty powerful. But keep in mind that often winning the highlight will provide you more fan factor or other important bonuses then the 2 you'd get with this card.

Cards that have more limited use say exhaust which means you 'tap' them after using them and can't use them again until they refresh or the card says discard in which case it goes back to the bottom of it's perspective pile. Also be careful as some cards say gain: 'XX' fan factor for 'some qualifier' at end of game. That does mean at the end of the whole game not just the current match or season.

Thanks! We were playing it right. However, the Skaven team in our last game just ran away with it with that team improvment card. I won't say its broken, but it is far more valuable than any of the cards I had in my pile (dwarf). My other friend think it is woefully broken.

The trick with this game, much like Blood Bowl is that you need to play to the strengths of your team. Basher teams need to bash and work on getting cards that help them to bash, reward them for bashing etc. I've played probably a dozen games now of various mixes and the only team that hasn't one yet is the Dwarfs. But before you worry about balance. Part of that is because Dwarfs through random luck haven't shown up as much and also because not every game has been with the same players so there has been a vast level of player experience in the different games.

I would have to say that the teams that have one the most are Humans, Elves and Orc's. But they area also the teams that have been showing up the most through random draw or selection depending on how we decide at the start of the game.

One final note is that with a few blowout victories when teaching new people the game all the scores have usually been very close. probably averaging a 4 point spread between the winner and the loser and most of the time that's come down to a last season/end of game upset.

So with that in mind the team/staff cards are pretty important and there is definitely a strategy that can be played built around collecting those types of cards. The more I play this game the more I'm seeing different strategize coming up.

I agree, what i see is that the teams with more bonus fans (gained through cards of different types) at the end of the game wins, not so much the race of the team. That Skaven card is very useful, especially since almost all your skaven cheat so you will lose a lot of matches, kind of equals out.

Its also important to note you don't get star players one for one. You have to choose one from the matchup reward and place the rest on the bottom. If you win them from multiple match ups it's diffrent.