King inferior to Queen?

By player475939, in Kingsburg

I haven´t got the game yet (I´ve already ordered it, but it will take a couple of weeks to come), but from what I have learned from rulebook, it seems to me that the Queen is far better than the King. In terms of resources they are almost the same (OK, the man´s got 1 more, but their type is given), and the 2 soldiers don´t seem to be equal as all those extras you get from the Queen (VP´s, looking at the attackers´ card).

Did anyone make a different experience?

it depends on the situation. most teir 3 and 4 buildings need each type of resource anyways, not to mention 2 soldiers with stables is really worth 4 goods if you think about it. i've had many cases where i'd rather have the king then queen, and vise-versa. like i said before, it all depends on the situation your in. need a bit of everything? go king. need some points and a peek at the enemies? go queen. thats what it comes down to sometimes...

Thanks, can´t wait to get the game and try it.

This discussion has occurred a lot on BGG...

I think the Queen is awesome...but the King has his merits as well...situation dependent, imho.

The queen is the best spot in the game. 3 victory points is no laughing matter.

tibbs2 said:

The queen is the best spot in the game. 3 victory points is no laughing matter.

I agree. One tends to forget that, at the end of the day, the game is about VP's, not buildings or resources (which of course help in that regard). It's true that the King has his advantages at times, but for the most part, I choose the Queen because I have a wider range of benefits than just one of each resource, plus one (or two) soldier(s).

One could say that it is analogous to a game of chess, where the Queen has more flexibility, but the King is a piece with its own strategic importance and can still deal a deadly blow when played properly.

Yes, I agree. The queen is the best spot on the board. We have often had this discussion in my game group, and we all agree, the queen is better than the king. Given the choice, I almost always choose the queen over the king. However, as was said before, that does not mean the king does not have its merits. The king is still a good choice. It just comes down to what your strategy is.

It reminds me of chess a little bit. The Queen is the most mobile of the pieces and most ppl would consider the most powerful of all the pieces on the board.

Agreed with everyone, queen's best, king has its point.

And, well, I even agree with Alexca too :D

queen is better, i have seen players sigh as they reaslie that they have rolled 16 with their dice, and their '2' token will just jump over her to the king.

Our group has come to the same conclusion, and as such no one ever went for the king. What we did is also made it so that the king gave a +2 marker which has really evened the playing field in our games.