Game play experience.

By Knightdrake, in Dust Warfare

Played a game of Warfare from pieces picked up from the demo and forums. We enjoyed how it worked out but did have concern with artillery min. range. Excited to play a full ruleset soon.

Knightdrake said:

Played a game of Warfare from pieces picked up from the demo and forums. We enjoyed how it worked out but did have concern with artillery min. range. Excited to play a full ruleset soon.

Has anyone cobbled together a real test-play editon from what we know of the game so far? And put it inot a word document or something? That could be a cool thing to try.

The one element we didn't use was the command phase. Have not found a clear explanation on it of method and function.

The stat x6 worked out for the most part but artillery was scaled back to 18" min instead of 24".
Hand to hand was resolved with if a member of the unit was within an inch of the target squad. Then "c" weapons can be uses by the entire squad. Abstract but have to work on trial and error at this stage.
Do have to comment on being on the fence with the fast ability with an addition 6" move. A move + move + fast is 18". Command squad reactivates them is a total of 36" move. We may toy around with this as fast is a 3" move to scale it back.
Suppression is the next added element for this weekends game.

Knightdrake said:

The one element we didn't use was the command phase. Have not found a clear explanation on it of method and function.

Yeah, so far from what Ive read of command phase is its sort of a go between round that both sides may be able to move a unit or two (or three) without th eother side getting reactions. Kind of a leadership edge phase. Ive heard you get 1 die per unit, ive heard you get a set number of dice regardless, and so forth. NOt too excited about it. I wouldnt mind it if it was a thing where only certain units gave you bonus dice. Say everyone gets 1 die, those with the command skill give you an extra die, a command squad gives you a bonus die and so forth. Likely to be a game killer for me overall.

Knightdrake said:

The stat x6 worked out for the most part but artillery was scaled back to 18" min instead of 24".

Makes sense, as Artillery is a range of ranges and not a maximum range. If you measure out 4 to 6 squares and then multiply each squad by 6 and say thats the range, then min range of 24 inches is actually after square number 4 and wouldnt count square number 4. So I would reduce the minimum range by 1 square/6 inches.

Knightdrake said:

Hand to hand was resolved with if a member of the unit was within an inch of the target squad. Then "c" weapons can be uses by the entire squad. Abstract but have to work on trial and error at this stage.

Sounds reasonable. Question is, what other weapons can be used while in close combat and wil you get locked in CC in DW?

Knightdrake said:

Do have to comment on being on the fence with the fast ability with an addition 6" move. A move + move + fast is 18". Command squad reactivates them is a total of 36" move. We may toy around with this as fast is a 3" move to scale it back.

I would rule that fast can only be used during a normal activation, not a command activation or re-activation and make it 6" as normal. They could still book it 30" but it costs them all their actions and one of the command unit's actions as well.

That is a good idea with Fast, will use that method in the next game.

Second warfare game with suppression used. Having a 66% chance failure with each marker does play out well. We liked the concept of suppression but not the type roll needed.

I had units that just could shake it and they stacked up for a fallback(from what is remembered from Gencon). Needing targets to shake felt overpowered. It was a good tactic to attack targets in hardcover. Know you aren't going to damage much but can lock down with multiple units hitting them.

Great idea keeping hard units pinned with fire from your units, looking forward to warfare big time.

Would a x4 stat not work better??

At x6 you need a 4.5 foot x 4.5 foot area just to equal the core set Tactics tile area.

Seems to me x4 would be better. Thats how im looking to play it.

In a 4' x 4' Warfare area you would have the equal of a 4x4 tile Tactics area.

Think of a 4' wide 8' deep urban battle.

Or even better, a 8' (tile) wide 4' deep D-Day battle. With landers, tank traps, hard cover for the Axis, etc.

Just my thoughts.

I'm looking at 4' x 4' for urban battles and 4' x 8' for the rest ... glad I've got the game boards available.