A welcome return

By JerusalemJones, in Wiz-War

Wiz-War is one of those games that, ever since we opened our game store 8 years ago, I have wanted to stock. I think this is a fun game, and I'm very thankful to FFG for picking up the game and "recreating" it for a new generation of gamers. Looks like it is getting the full FFG treatment as well, minis and all. My only wish is that it was cheaper, along the lines of their Silverline games, but I suppose that once we see all the features, bells and whistles it will be worth it.

It's nice to see old games re-made. It shows that interest in the past can still be interest in the future. It's always great to see old classics re-made. I think FFG will do a decent job. Granted, I don't have any experience with the original game, but if it's being remade it must've been big enough to be picked up again.

I think this game is one of the more perfect fits for FFG.

It's all about light fun. Add FFG's magic formula of high production quality and a metric butt ton of plastic (or half a metric butt ton of plastic) and you have a pretty good wiz war edition.

What edition is it now? 8th if I recall Tom Jolly's blog correctly?

FFG should do more games like this. Now if they would only grab Nexus Ops from Avalon Hill, they would be on a steady roll of reprinting really good games.

It looks like a great game.

I have a friend that played the original and cant stop talking about this. It just needs to come out sooner.

Hellfury said:

FFG should do more games like this. Now if they would only grab Nexus Ops from Avalon Hill , they would be on a steady roll of reprinting really good games.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2693

Now THAT's just EERIE!!!

Doc Belmont said:

Hellfury said:

FFG should do more games like this. Now if they would only grab Nexus Ops from Avalon Hill , they would be on a steady roll of reprinting really good games.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2693

Now THAT's just EERIE!!!

Heh. Yeah, it is. Kind a funny too since just around the time I made that post, I was playing quarriors with kevin Wislon at FFG EC remarking about how much of a great fit Nexus would be for FFG to publish,. We talked a bit about how it would certainly be, yet he never revealed any clue it might be on the horizon.

I got a chance to play Wizwar a few days ago at FFG EC with kevin too,. he broke it out since the game was released a few days too early in Denmark the cat was already out of the bag so he gave a demo.

Brief session report can be found here:

www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8346794#8346794

(Fair warning, some of the language is PG-13, but not too over the top. It was done in the spirit of the game)

I am very grateful to FF for bringing back old classics that I've never played before. Cosmic Encounter never ceases to amaze me each time I play. Wiz-War seems to share, to some degree, Cosmic's replay value. By switching schools of magic, using variable game boards, and having fast changing hands, the chance for having fun, new combinations goes way up!