The Mummy - My First custom pieces

By Wordmaker, in Fan Creations

On request from some friends, I made the following pieces for use in a Mummy-themed game of Arkham Horror we're planning:

Rick-OConnell-Front-Side-1.png

Evey-Carnahan-Front-Side.png

Jonathan-Carnahan-Front-Side.png

Ardeth-Bey-Front-Side.png

Ardeths-Sword-Front-Side.png

Beni-Gabor-Front-Side.png

Imhotep-Front-Side.png

The-Hom-Dai-Front-Side.png

Imhotep-Front-Side2.png Imhotep-Back-Side.png

Any comments or advice will be appreciated. The idea is for a tough challenge which will likely culminate in an epic battle at the end.

Hmm, the forum chopped off the far side of the Herald card. Here's the text for it:

Imhotep's Return

Once Imhotep's Doom Track reaches 5, the statistics on his Monster card are amended as follows:

Toughness: +1
Combat Modifier: -1
Damage: +1

Power Over Sands and Plague</h1>
On each Mythos Phase, roll a die and consult the following chart:

1 - Flies and Locusts: Movement in Arkham is reduced by 1. Investigators must make a Fight or Will check to travel from one Street Location to another.
2 - The Waters Run As Blood: Investigators must make a Luck check or lose 1 Stamina.
3 - Curse of Darkness: The Terror Level increases by 1.
4 - Hail of Fire: Investigators must make a Speed check or lose 2 Stamina.
5 - Sandstorms: When attempting the enter a Gate location, an Investigator must roll a Sneak or Fight check or remain in the Streets.
6 - Imhotep's Fury: Roll twice, ignoring any roll of 6, and apply both effects.

Looks good and I like the pictures. Maybe just tweak the wording here and there but overall congratulation.

It would be nice if you made most of the investigators with there own special abilities vs reusing Pete, Mark, Rita and Walker.

Who are Imhotep's worshipers? I'm guessing Cultist.

PS: Maybe have your Herald effect Exhibit items in a negative and/or positive way.

For example postive way investigator's gain a horror rating bonus similar to if they had a cross.

Negative way the get additional negative modifier on the pertinent skill checks made on the Herald card.

Yep, his Worshippers are Cultists. I should specify that on the card.

I think I'll take your advice and go think up some original special abilities for the new Investigators. I'll have to think up some ideas.

Couple of issues, mostly just of semantics, plus a few ideas for you. If you like anything I suggest, feel free to use it, if you don't like it, just ignore it.

Investigators

Rick: He is a resourceful kind of guy. I think he would be better off with 1 less in sneak (he doesn't seem the sneaky kind to me, he'd rather smack something in the face than hide from it). This then would give him 2 focus, which is more like his resourceful self. And how about this for his abilities, don't know about the names, just came up with them on the spot, but the abilities themselves sound a lot like Rick:

Quick Draw

Movement: Once per turn Rick may use 3 hands worth of weapons for a single combat check.

Confident Recovery

Movement: Once per turn Rick may restore 1 point of Sanity when he defeats a monster with 2 or more toughness.

This would mean with his random starting equipment he could potentially be quite the killer from early on, but it still doesn't seem too overpowered (to me at least). With the second part of the ability, I would take away his set Bravery skill, and give him another random skill instead. Once again, this plays upon his resourceful nature, and stops him from being able to reroll a horror check and (partially) recover from it soon after.

Evey: As much as it is kind of the easy way out, I think she would be the perfect recipient for either of the example character's abilities in Strange Eons. Both Egyptology and Voracious Reader would fit her really well.

Jonathan: He strikes me as the kind of guy who could do with one more point in his Luck and one less on Lore; he seems to know so little but always flukes his way through whatever situation he is in, which gives me an idea for an ability:

Blind Luck

Upkeep: Jonathan may choose to swap his Luck value with either his Fight or Sneak for the rest of the turn, but he must also swap his Lore value with the appropriate paired skill.

Ardeth: First of all, I think his khopesh should be more like +3, as it is a heavier and somewhat more brutal weapon than a cavalry saber, and is more graceful than an axe. I think his skills are fine though. Maybe you could create a Medjai Warrior Ally that adds +2 to Combat Checks, and have that as a set item instead of the Bravery skill.

Medjai Brother

Place 3 Stamina tokens on the Medjai Warrior. When Ardeth loses Stamina, the Medjai Warrior may instead lose that amount. If the Medjai Warrior ever has zero Stamina, he is immediately discarded.

Duty of Care

Ardeth may pay $2 at St. Mary's Hospital to heal the Medjai Warrior. This may be done at the same time Ardeth receives healing. You may also use any healing items on the Medjai Warrior.

Essentially this gives Ardeth +2 Maximum Stamina for the game (or +3, once, if the Warrior is allowed to fall to zero), but this is a very situational ability, as it is extremely great while the Medjai Warrior is around, but once he is gone, Ardeth has no ability.

Beni: Do you mean Combat Check or Fight Check in his ability? And does his turn ending also mean any combat he is in ends? And does his turn ending also mean he doesn't have an encounter that turn? If so, that is one extremely powerful Clue. I think Beni would be more likely to have an ability like this:

Coward

Beni may spend one clue token on an Evade check to automatically gain one success.

Worthless Wretch

Mythos: Any monsters Beni has evaded this turn may move as if he were not in the same location. Beni is never considered to be in an adjacent location for purposes of Stalker movement.

Imhotep (Herald/Monster)

Imhotep's monster token would probably be better off as a Spawn instead of endless. Spawn automatically means he does not count towards the monster limit and cannot be claimed as a trophy, so you then don't need to state it on the monster token.

Also, for the sake of clarity, I think maybe you could swap the "Imhotep's Return" text from the Herald card to the monster token, and have the Herald card instead say something like "When Imhotep is defeated place his monster token on this sheet. The next time a monster should be drawn from the cup, draw Imhotep instead." Not that it changes anything, but the alternative stats for Imhotep will then be on the monster token, which will make it easier to reference when needed.

As I said these are just some suggestions, if you like any of them, use them. If you don't like something, that's cool too.

Good call on Rick and Jonathan. I'll have a think about Evey, though.

Ardeth always struck me as working in a more solo capacity rather than having someone back him up. At most as regards an Ally, I'd give him his bird from The Mummy Returns. I agree that his sword should have a higher bonus.

Nice suggestions for Beni and the wording on the Monster and Herald cards.

Yeah, forgot about that bird. But then again its been a long long time since I've seen the first two, and most of what Ardeth does and is has escaped me, I just remembered there being so many of the Medjai with him at one point.

He does lead a fair few in both movies (I refuse to acknowledge Tomb of the Dragon Emperor! lengua.gif ), but he's more of a solo badass.

I was thinking of something along the lines of being able to discard 5 Toughness' worty of Monster Trophies or a Gate Token when he's reduced to 0 Stamina in order to regain all of his Stamina, instead of having to take an Injury at the hospital.

Having talked to the friend who suggested Beni's original ability, it turns out I got it wrong. What he'd actually intended was:

Any Phase: If Benni is about to take combat damage, he can spend a clue to avoid taking damage and end the combat. The monster token is not removed and Benni loses any remaining movement points.

Yeah, the third one was a touch ordinary.

That makes a little more sense for Beni's ability and one thing I do like about your ability over mine is it gives him an edge over other investigators because he's the only one (item use not factored in) who can avoid one of the CotDP encounters where you get surprised by a monster. Not that that is going to happen all the time though.

As for Ardeth, would you have him be delayed but remain where he is, or move to the hospital/asylum/LiTaS as normal? I think both have merits. Doing the normal thing gets him out of the trouble that had him unconscious in the first place, but on the other hand being delayed and staying where he is (potential ability name there could be Second Wind) seems a "more correct" option in my mind because it does stop him being so safe.

I think I'd have him become Delayed. It's more fitting and means that the player has a choice between either continuing to face down a tough monster (such as a powerful Stationary creature or a Stalker) or accepting an Injury and getting out of danger.

Hello to you all guys!

Great work and congratulations Wordmaker! It looks very good!

I had a idea like that one in my mind but you went first!

Can i ask you to put it in SE format for downloading? One of the image(Imhotep's one) is half cutted.

Thanks and see you.

Dang. Looks like you put a lot of work into this, turned out really great. Congrats :)