Smaller Game? Smaller box?

By JinseiNGC224, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

So I was looking to literally buy Descent Journeys in the Dark (1e) today. I've been comparing/contrasting 1e and 2e by way of their main pages here as this is the source of 2e info, and youtube reviews of 1e.

I love big box games. Is this game getting a downsize? Granted, it still has an $80 price tag, but is it drastically different in depth? Is it made to be a simpler game? Or can we expect the same amount of quality pieces and tiles that we got the first time?

When I compared lists, the 2e seems to have less, at least at first. But looking at the pictures of the main box it looks smaller as well..or is it just more square instead of rectangular?

I bet the rules are better, in one way or another, as they get to reflect on feedback and errata of 1e. But I just hope they keep it as massive as before...unless "massive" is considered a thing of the past :) (not in my book!)

As far as actual rules and gameplay goes, honestly no one really knows....it's just too soon to tell and we'll need more info from FFG before we know anything.

As far as components, yes I can guarantee you this game does not have as many as 1E and the box is not as big, despite it's $80 price tag. That's inflation for you sad.gif . Also I've been hearing that the price of plastic spiked quite a bit a few years ago, making miniature heavy games like this more expensive. This is not a great big "coffin size" box like 1E came in, but an ordinary square box, albeit a deep one. For games with boxes similar to this look at Battles of Westeros or Mansions of Madness, I would imagine that the component amount would be similar to those two.

It's sad since I'm a fan of big box games too, but I think they are a thing of the past. Inflation has just gone to high. The last big box game FFG did was Runewars and it carted a heafty $100 MSRP and numerous people were disappointed by the amount of component content in the game compared to previous big box games (myself included). Doesn't stop it from being a fantastic game that is worth every penny though happy.gif .

I can't really comment on too much, but if boxed properly you can get all the components of Descent 1e into a box the size of Battlelore. It takes some tetris style planning but you can do it. SO hopefully it's just more compact design, and I for one ( a person who owns the games but doesn't play them at the house ) am glad for a smaller box to tote around. It would be nice if they would make something like how Amazing Wonder made for Memoir 44' with the carrying case.

I think Runebound 2e had a decent amount of bits for the box size, and if D2e is indeed the same size as MoM, it's technically bigger than that (deeper.) How exactly it compares to D1e, i can't say, but it sound slike D2e still has a decent number of bits to calls it's own. 8 heroes and how many monsters again? 90-something?

I just remembered Doom The Board Game. It was just a single box and the amount it had inside was staggering. Once I punched everything out and reformed all the bases (as it seems I have to do with every plastic mini ever) I could barely fit everything back in. I have hope that this will be just as good as the 1e. Maybe they scale will be a bit smaller or something. Who knows, but I can't wait to get my grubby paws on it.

Gudamangipo said:

I have hope that this will be just as good as the 1e. Maybe they scale will be a bit smaller or something. Who knows, but I can't wait to get my grubby paws on it.

I expect the scale will be exactly the same, since the conversion kit will allow you to bring the existing heroes and monsters into 2e games. (That wouldn't work so well if the squares were a different size.)

You make an excellent point about Doom, though. That box was packed with goodies. If D2e uses the (still slightly larger) MoM box and is equally packed, there will be plenty of shiny kit in there. =)

Guys just relax... this is 1st box... i expect the same HUGE amount of stuff in next expansions.... so FFG just made first box a little smaller... we will get all those additional stuff & minis in expansions to come... cheers!!!! cool.gif