Monsters in 2nd Ed Descent

By slaphead6, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

So now we have Descent 2nd Edition annouced and a few details made available. So far there is nothing about the new monsters. Looking at the box I would imagine there will be a dragon of some kind in there somewhere.

I was wondering what monsters people might be in the new version. My initial thoughts are to look in the direction of the creatures included in Runewars. Anyone got any other ideas as to where the monsters are coming from. Alternatively, what new monsters would you like to see. I'm guessing that most of this is probably already decided, so this is a purely speculative thread. So go on add your ideas/thoughts about monsters and let's see who, if anyone, is right when details are released.

I really wish that instead of going the 1st edition way of "a bit of everything" FFG creates a strong theme for the 2nd edition core box with monsters that fit together. At least for us the "these spiders and the beastmen and the hellhounds all live in the same dungeon side by side" approach wasn't cool. I'd rather see something along the line of:

- One boss monster (evil sorcerer, undead king, someone or something that has a lot of followers and underlings)

- Lieutenant monsters (Ringwraith type very tough special monsters that fit thematically as servants of the boss monster)

- Group leader monsters (bigger, badder and more clever versions of basic monster type, fits thematically to the boss)

- Big ones (special big monsters that fit with the boss)

- Basic monsters (three different versions melee/ranged/magic)

For an example if the boss monster is an undead Lich King

- Wraiths (lieutenant)

- Skeleton captains (group leaders)

- Undead dragon and/or undead trolls/giants (big ones)

- Skeleton warriors, archers and sorcerers (basic troops)

This way the game will be thematically A LOT stronger than if the monsters don't fit together at all. The strenght of Mansions of Madness lies in strong theme and from the fact that all the monsters met fit the theme. Of course there will be people who would think this is boring and dislike the chosen theme and pass the game because of this. Still, I think if the game itself is quality product, then strong theme will take it to a new level. It is also easy to add a new theme to the game with expansions.

I guess in Skeleton Warriors and Goblins (typically fantasy).

I'm pretty sure that at least the goblins will be included, after a look at the cover image of the box...