For everyone upset about the price point...

By causeitwasfunny, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hellfury said:

causeitwasfunny said:

Like I said, I really don't see a problem with starting out with only 8 characters.

It's not just about 8 characters. You are missing the point.

My argument is about the entire plastic content. It's cut straight in half for nearly the same price.

As for proclaiming plans for their product. Thats your assumption of my statement. I think if you look at the precedence that FFG themselves have made over the course of YEARS, it doesnt take an employee of theirs to understand much of how they continue to support or not support games.

I just do not see the reprint status looking the same next year for this game. It will likely be all 2nd ed stuff.

They want people to buy new 2ne ed stuff, not spurn 2nd ed and continue to buy 1st ed stuff.

The quality of the miniatures and the components in general is far more important to me than the quantity. As a painter, less miniatures of a finer quality is much more desirable than more of poorer quality.

Actually, many of the heroes in Descent weren't that well differentiated. The skills, etc. were the things that tended to make each character unique and they, of course, are modular.

Many of the monsters in 1st Ed. look good, like the skeletons, spiders and hounds. However the giant with his tight pants looks silly. And what is up with the Manticore's rock star hair?

That being said, the overall quality of the miniatures in the first edition Descent coffin box ranged from good to pretty mediocre. The expansion monsters had an even lower overall quality. The surfer apes are probably the low point, unless you can't handle Gumby hands on the medusa and wraith.

So, I'm a bit worried by the picture of the female elf with the huge shoulder pads on the 2nd Edition cover. If that's the new style, then I'll think twice about buying this game. However, I'm completely impressed by the graphic design of the new edition. FFG's graphic design team has been destroying the competition in the board game design world for the past several years. The dungeon tiles look incredible. I'll have to wait and see the whole game laid out on a table before I comment on the rest of it, although the tokens, etc. that we've seen so far look very pretty by themselves.

Can't wait to see more previews of the components and rules.

I'm interested to see how the conversion kit will work for the game. Getting the old heroes into the new game seems simple enough, but how will the old monsters be incorporated? Will they enter 2e via a spawning mechanism? In that case, will the OL really be permitted to spawn demons and dragons? Or will the conversion kit simply have alternative layouts for the dungeons (assuming 2e will have certain present dungeon layouts that would only incorporate 2e monsters)? In that case how will the conversion kit compensate for the fact that some will be converting only the base, some will be converting base plus one expansion, some may be converting base plus all expansions? Or will the rooms of the various dungeons have more of a "leader" and "minions" mechanism, where they OL can select anything (s)he wants so long as (s)he doesn't exceed a certain point value (assuming that monsters would have such values assigned). I won't be able to tell whether the kit will be worth the price point until I know more about how it will work.

I'll side with KenToad on the fact that I'll also be influenced by the quality of the minatures--I'm also not a big fan of the art for the heroes shown on the box and hope the monster and hero figures are a bit less "cartoony." Not that all of the 1e stuff passes that measurement standard either, though, as KenToad accurately pointed out.