Hoorah for 2nd Edition!

By Warrior of Myth, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Descent has been the mainstay of my board gaming for near 4 years now. 2 full gaming groups have played descent, including all of the stand alone quests and both campaigns, in my "Descent Facility" every other week since I bought the base set. And it IS truly a Descent facility. I have painted the ENTIRE set of heroes and monsters (including the new DungeonQuest ones) and they sit on display just in reach of the Overlord seat. I have a huge desk with hutch just dedicated to all of the cards, tiles, and tokens, with each having their own seperate drawers in numerous organizers. And the beer fridge sits fully stocked just next to the gaming table. A table which happens to have an aged and stained top of oak boards and wooden legs with inscribed runes. I wont mention the descent replica potions and shields that adorn the walls. I suppose I ought to post pics of my geek-out area....but in any case: I really like Descent. So when I saw this announcement, needless to say I was a bit excited. My only concern at first was that all my stuff was now void. But that was quickly negated when I read about the conversion set.

In all the time my friends and I have spent playing Descent, the only issue we've had with the game was the lack of clarity and inconsistance regarding pieces of the mechanics. I don't mean the complexity, I quite enjoy that about descent. The in depth strategy and length of play (well not always the length of play) were somthing that kept us coming back. We just didn't like the INability to easily adjudicate many situations with out house rulling.

And now it looks like that part of Descent is going to be vastly improved/recreated. Of course we can't know if it will be done well unitl it is in our hands. However, there is a serious set of material in the first edition and the effort of any second edition writing process is geared toward making a better game (not just creating an entirely new game). I have high hopes!!

This is gonna rock!!

Also, I look forward to Antistone getting a hold of this...

You should totally post the pics. I would check them out.

I thought it was a pretty great announcement. I'm also glad that there is generally positive comments on this board so far. I was talking with my gaming buddy the other day about Descent and how much we like Road to Legend and the game in general, but it was getting so hard to set aside 5+ hours with a group of 5 regularly to make it worthwhile.

Sounds like the 2nd edition will play faster, maybe not Space Hulk fast, but something reasonable. The new art is great, and the fact that all of the heroes and monsters are new, and with double-sided map tiles the new edition seems like not such a bad deal. Add in a conversion kit that will add in all of your older stuff makes it a great deal.

I'm definitely glad I know about this game coming out before I bought the original version. I can only hope they will be releasing a ton of expansions like they did with the first one.

sepayne7l said:

Sounds like the 2nd edition will play faster, maybe not Space Hulk fast, but something reasonable.

I don't know about playing faster, but it certainly sounds like it will have consideration for convenient stopping points, so you can play as long as you want and come back later if you aren't done.

Will Fuqua said:

I'm definitely glad I know about this game coming out before I bought the original version. I can only hope they will be releasing a ton of expansions like they did with the first one.

I certainly wouldn't mind a few expansions for 2e, although having seen how the expansion-frenzy usually works out, I'm coming around to the opinion that the BEST games are the ones that remain fun without them. If they have something significant to add to the game (like the two TI3 expansions) that's great, but expansions just for their own sake usually just end up clogging the game up with various and sundry rules questions.

I for one would love to see pictures of OP's Descent lair. It sounds awesome.

The announcement of Descent 2 was right on time for me and my gaming group and we're (or at least I am) really excited about it. I actually preordered already and can't wait to get it.

Would love to get some more info about the game though, now were left drooling and guessing for too long...