Compatibility with older Descent?

By GoblynKing, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I know that the description page mentions that the older minis (monster/hero) and cards (monster/hero) will be convertible to the 2nd Edition, but what about the tiles? From the example pic on the description page, the puzzle mechanism appears to still be in place, but is it compatible with the older puzzle fit tiles?

If so, this would REALLY keep me from trading in/selling my older Descent game. As it stands right now, 1st Edition takes up way too much space on my shelf for me to hold on to it...especially since I've actually cracked it open so little of late. Speaking of box size, I'm super happy to see that they're moving to a smaller box format. This makes me wonder what's actually included in the core set....LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN!!!

PS

I also hope they've addressed the play time issue. I would really love for this new edition to be a great game to break out when my Warhammer FRP gaming group can't all make it to a session...but only if it doesn't take an hour to set up and 5-6 hours to play.

All in all, I'm super stoked!!!

GoblynKing said:

I also hope they've addressed the play time issue. I would really love for this new edition to be a great game to break out when my Warhammer FRP gaming group can't all make it to a session...but only if it doesn't take an hour to set up and 5-6 hours to play.

It should be quicker, based on the description. One of the selling points is more "streamlined" play and faster setup. This will be one of the few games I'll actually pre-order down at the FLGS.

I've got nothing but tears... I just bought Descent 2 weeks ago... I haven't even punched out the tiles yet.

80 bucks for a half-box seems a bit steep.

Chernobyl said:

Fantasy Flight's games tend toward the expensive. I would imagine this is at least going to be one of the thick half-boxen à la Mansions of Madness.

Judasgoat said:

I've got nothing but tears... I just bought Descent 2 weeks ago... I haven't even punched out the tiles yet.

You've still got time. Descent 2.0 is still being printed, so I say crack that big wide box open and play the hell out of it until this comes out. happy.gif

I've loved the Descent series since the beginning. It's still easily one of my top games. My job provides a lot of down/game time, and every time we tried to get a game of my 1st edition, we just didn't get the chance due to how much time it takes (especially when I was teaching everyone the rules as well), and because it's not a great game if you get interupted a lot. I'm super excited about the fact that this new edition looks like it'll play faster and that interuptions shouldn't as much of a factor. Plus the fact that they are making the game most customizable/personalized will be AWESOME! I can't wait.

From looking at the tiny picture on the announcement, it looks to me like the new tiles may not fit together with old. On the positive side, the connection does look to me a bit like the ones on the Ravenloft/Ashardalon games, so those might be compatible.

Ooh -- And while looking at the tiny picture, I notice that there's at least one outdoor tile. Cool!

Lindsey said:

it looks to me like the new tiles may not fit together with old.

I'd rather say it looks like they will fit. As the old miniatures shall be compatible with the new tiles, they will have the same size.

The tiles have now imprinted numbers (like the tiles of "Tomb of Ice"). Good idea, that's one little improvement that will speed up the buildup of the game board.

PWBrian said:

Judasgoat said:

You've still got time. Descent 2.0 is still being printed, so I say crack that big wide box open and play the hell out of it until this comes out. happy.gif

Plus, all of the heroes and monsters will be usable in second edition. And it looks like they are unique from what is in the base set, giving you a sort of expansion right off the bat.

GoblynKing said:

I know that the description page mentions that the older minis (monster/hero) and cards (monster/hero) will be convertible to the 2nd Edition, but what about the tiles? From the example pic on the description page, the puzzle mechanism appears to still be in place, but is it compatible with the older puzzle fit tiles?

Like someone else said, the fact that the conversion kit provides compatability for old 1e figures suggests that these tiles will use the same scale grid, and that in turn suggests that the puzzle locks are about the same size. On the off chance that they don't fit together, you always use the old "put a dead-end peice from 1e on the 1e tile, a dead end from 2e on the 2e tile and put them together end-to-end with a door in between." There's at least one dead-end tile in the picture on the D2e news post, so this method is still available to you if all else fails. I'd be surpised if they didn't fit together anyway, though. FFG obviously has backwards compatability in mind with the conversion kit.

GoblynKing said:

Speaking of box size, I'm super happy to see that they're moving to a smaller box format. This makes me wonder what's actually included in the core set....LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN!!!

I can't complain about that either. Although the news of 8 new heroes and over 90 all new monsters does kind of make me wonder how it will all fit! =)

GoblynKing said:

Well, in addition to the "streamlined rules" they also mention lots of convenient "stopping places" breaking up the quests. I'm guessing the mechanic for that will be something along the lines of Road to Legend's "save game" mechanic. (Although the fact that it has "stopping places" suggests to me that the overall average quest length is not that much different from 1e.) So yeah, you should be able to play and stop and resume later within reasonable time frames even if you don't get all the way through a quest in one sitting.

Well I really just hope that they have taken a que off another game they make dust tactics and dust miniatures same fig line for two rule sets. Please dont make my first edition worthless I have bought a second box set for more tiles and monsters and epic dungeon stylings. Please oh PLEASE make the two compatible

It looks to me that we will be able to use the tiles from 1st ed. What will be unusable will be the tokes (maybe, you coulds house rule something for a quest or two). the cards and the old characters sheets and the dice look diff aswell so we will need the new dice( wonder if the steath die is out of the picture). I own everything but the sea board and the LT. minis. and some of the promo figs. hoping to get promos soon. Love this game, I've had it for 8-9 years now. Happy with the amount of play I got out of it and looking forward for the 2nd. I remember posting/ asking a year or to back if a 2nd ed. was coming out. Some one at an old gencon posted back that he had ask the question to Kevin and Kevin said no not likely. I guess if enough people start asking FFG will take the hint. Yeah!

from some of the pic it looks like some of the skill/ talents card will need soem kind of payment to use. mosty fatigue. which is a good thing I think. looking forward to and the new goodies as they come out. gran_risa.gif

PWBrian said:

Chernobyl said:

Fantasy Flight's games tend toward the expensive. I would imagine this is at least going to be one of the thick half-boxen à la Mansions of Madness.

Blame it on the price of oil and gas........

PBnJ said:

It looks to me that we will be able to use the tiles from 1st ed. What will be unusable will be the tokes (maybe, you coulds house rule something for a quest or two). the cards and the old characters sheets and the dice look diff aswell so we will need the new dice( wonder if the steath die is out of the picture).

It seems like you could buy the Second Edition (if you want) and play it as a separate, but highly similar game. Then later, when you're ready, pick up the conversion kit and incorporate all the heroes and monsters from First Edition. It doesn't look as though cards and tokens would be carried over, but I doubt they would need to be.

It also seems like anyone who buys the Second Edition looking to pick up the First later could do so. It's like there are enough changes to keep them separate.

causeitwasfunny said:

PBnJ said:

It looks to me that we will be able to use the tiles from 1st ed. What will be unusable will be the tokes (maybe, you coulds house rule something for a quest or two). the cards and the old characters sheets and the dice look diff aswell so we will need the new dice( wonder if the steath die is out of the picture).

It seems like you could buy the Second Edition (if you want) and play it as a separate, but highly similar game. Then later, when you're ready, pick up the conversion kit and incorporate all the heroes and monsters from First Edition. It doesn't look as though cards and tokens would be carried over, but I doubt they would need to be.

It also seems like anyone who buys the Second Edition looking to pick up the First later could do so. It's like there are enough changes to keep them separate.

I was thinking more like the villiages and LT's from RtL or the invul. potion as a goal item just basic stuff like that. Oh I plan I buy ing the coversion kit too. Funny all the games I was playing on buy just got push back the save up for this bad boy which looks like it will be out before Christmas...here's hoping.

PBnJ said:

Funny all the games I was playing on buy just got push back the save up for this bad boy which looks like it will be out before Christmas...here's hoping.

You and me both.

causeitwasfunny said:

PBnJ said:

Funny all the games I was playing on buy just got push back the save up for this bad boy which looks like it will be out before Christmas...here's hoping.

You and me both.

I wish I could make that kind of decision. I'm just planning to try to get some overtime at work or give a lot of blood or something. happy.gif

Descent 2nd ed. is indeed great, great news. Been waiting for this ever since we played the 1st edition for couple of times and everyone thought it was heavy and wayyyyy too long to be fun. The 2nd edition sound exactly what I was hoping for, especially the story based campaign play.

Now FFG has included the conversion kit for us oldschool Descent players, which is great. But what is the conversion kit all about really? How I understand it, it is just 2nd edition stat cards for all the old heroes and monsters. One of the downers with the 1st ed. was that in the same dungeon you encountered skeletons, orcs, flying mushrooms, pizza boys and giant robots. No theme or rhyme or reason. The only limiting factor was the spawn cards and the number of expansions. With the 2nd ed. it would be great to have quests with more theme and less total randomness in what monsters the heroes will (and can) encounter.

Also I'm wondering why people are so keen on knowing if the old tiles work with the new ones? If all the adventures and the campaign are in the core set, what do you need the extra tiles for? Fan quests are of course one answer, but otherwise what do you need those extra tiles for? If FFG will put out the revised versions of all the old adventures in the conversion kit, then I understand. Otherwise not really.

I understand that some veterans who have used the same character from the day one are thrilled to get the rules for that hero for the new version. For us casual Descent players I think the conversion kit will just be FFG's way of saying "sorry about the new version, here's how you can use at least something from there". But if FFG really puts some effort in the conversion kit and includes full 2nd ed. rules and how to play the new edition with the old tiles and minis, then it is a great product. I just don't think it is gonna happen...

Can't wait to hear some first reviews of the 2nd ed. and can't wait to get to test it myself. And maybe even converting some old stuff over.

2nd edition core set is a new game with all new characters, new monsters and new maptiles plus overworked rules. dice, cards and propbably tokens are incompatible to 1st edition. old players are forced to buy the new edition and all new-developed expansions. well thats a way to make money.

1st edition can be thrown in garbage completely.

however,you can use old maptiles and monsters for homemade scenarios.- and only for that.

for those who want to keep with 1st edition and use 2nd edition material they need to convert 2nd edition heroes and monsters into 1st edition. maptiles can be used, but they cant use dice and cards and probably tokens from 2nd edition.

for those who want to keep with 2nd edition and use 1st edition material the conversion-kit enables the old characters and monsters to be played, maptiles can be used, but they cant use dice and cards and probably tokens from 1st edition.

i wonder if ffg puts new monsters in the new expansions too, the old monsters will become highrated collector-items.

for d&d- like gamers the new material is welcome, it will be converted anyway.

Mordjinn said:

Also I'm wondering why people are so keen on knowing if the old tiles work with the new ones? If all the adventures and the campaign are in the core set, what do you need the extra tiles for? Fan quests are of course one answer, but otherwise what do you need those extra tiles for? If FFG will put out the revised versions of all the old adventures in the conversion kit, then I understand. Otherwise not really.

I don't think FFG's conversion kit will include anything about converting quests, but I'm reasonably certain the fan community will want to do it themselves (I know I'll probably take a crack at it sooner or later if no one else does.) Aside from that, it's just fan-made quests that will (hopefully) be able to use both sets of tiles together.

Maybe a little bit of people looking for ways to recycle as much of 1e components as they can to avoid feeling that money was wasted - whether or not they ever make such fan quests, they might feel better just knowing they could .

Also, I don't know about anyone else around here, but I've definitely used Descent components when playing D&D as well. If 2e tiles are still compatible with 1e tiles, it means our resources for such "poaching" operations are only expanded. Although even if they don't fit together, I can still do the "abutting dead-ends" trick, so really, it's win-win for me. =)

But yeah, there's no official need for the compatibility of tiles, just fanboy stuff.

My copy of descent is still factory sealed, I'm can't open it until my birthday in December, and now I'm wondering if I should trade it in for a different game and just buy the 2e when it comes out.

It would be nice to know if the tiles are compatible with 2e as that may convince me to keep hold of it.

Me, I would keep it - at the very least you have a good game to play and if you also get 2e then you'll have, probably, two good games to play, w/ the added advanted of using parts (new critters/new heroes) from one game in the other.

...and if the second one falls short, well then your resale value went up - but if it's good - then it's a win/win...

well it looks like the green dice are out of the picture. which will made the colorblind pop. happy to see.

wonder what the 9th color is as 8 of the dice are on the description page.

watch! it will be a green one partido_risa.gif