Anyone have a full GenCon Dust Warfare Review/recap?

By Peacekeeper_b, in Dust Warfare

Major Mishap said:

Don't see why you would need to add uneccessary complication in designing an army, if the points values are fair and balanced then it won't be a problem.

Because what I propossed isnt complicated or unneccessary and the points values are not fair or balanced. So, it is a problem! LOL.

You already have such rules in the game as it is. One of each hero (rather obvious, but believe me, Ive seen and know people who would argue that), one of each Armor Type Command Squads.

From what I gather, DW rules reminds me greatly of an old award winning PS3 game called Valkyria Chronicles. Both uses UGO-IGO, there is a reaction/interrupt element when either player or AI passes through LOS and weapon range of an opposing force, and command abilities. Both are set in a 1940ish setting dealing with a global war with future-tech that shouldn't be available in that time period.

Hmm... maybe I should play the game again to enhance my tactic skills :P

On another note: I started playing or was greatly influenced by a 40k video game before I started 40k. Perhaps FFG or Parente can tie-up with a game dev studio to create a dust video game. Heck they can tweak the valkyria system since its similar. Maybe even novels to support the fluff, just hopefully nothing like the comic book where they killed Rosie and Joe was some kinda of a slacker con.

D.Azriel said:

From what I gather, DW rules reminds me greatly of an old award winning PS3 game called Valkyria Chronicles. Both uses UGO-IGO, there is a reaction/interrupt element when either player or AI passes through LOS and weapon range of an opposing force, and command abilities. Both are set in a 1940ish setting dealing with a global war with future-tech that shouldn't be available in that time period.

On another note: I started playing or was greatly influenced by a 40k video game before I started 40k. Perhaps FFG or Parente can tie-up with a game dev studio to create a dust video game. Heck they can tweak the valkyria system since its similar. Maybe even novels to support the fluff, just hopefully nothing like the comic book where they killed Rosie and Joe was some kinda of a slacker con.

Sorry, had to do it. You lose 55 points for mentioning the Dust Comic. Ahh $#!+ now I did it!

Peacekeeper_b said:

D.Azriel said:

Sorry, had to do it. You lose 55 points for mentioning the Dust Comic. Ahh $#!+ now I did it!

:P

So it seems DW is DT real terrain rules? Or did I miss something, all the stats are the same all the dice are the same. There is no added depth, just the terrain is more varied?

If so I am disappointed. However it will give us a good excuse to try Tomorrow's War.

ijewett said:

So it seems DW is DT real terrain rules? Or did I miss something, all the stats are the same all the dice are the same. There is no added depth, just the terrain is more varied?

If so I am disappointed. However it will give us a good excuse to try Tomorrow's War.

The rules and game flow are quite a bit different. I have a feeling the special abilities will also be somewhat different, even though they'll have the same words on the cards.

I'm not disappointed at all. If it didn't use the unit cards, I probably wouldn't be interested - I don't feel like looking up tonnes of charts and stats in the rulebook. I want a tabletop game that plays with similar speed and intensity as Dust Tactics, and it sounds like Dust Warfare will fit the bill.

felkor said:

ijewett said:

The rules and game flow are quite a bit different. I have a feeling the special abilities will also be somewhat different, even though they'll have the same words on the cards.

I'm not disappointed at all. If it didn't use the unit cards, I probably wouldn't be interested - I don't feel like looking up tonnes of charts and stats in the rulebook. I want a tabletop game that plays with similar speed and intensity as Dust Tactics, and it sounds like Dust Warfare will fit the bill.

The game play has a LOT more depth. it is not just DT with real terrain. I can't say much due to the NDA, but the game is so well done.

I Agree with Gobbo. You'll be surprised on the differences of the 2 games.

arkangl said:

I Agree with Gobbo. You'll be surprised on the differences of the 2 games.

Good differences in my opinion. There is some real meat in this version that makes the game really fun. Can't wait to get a few more games in.