House rule: Show the '4' card before the game starts

By destructor2, in Death Angel

Whenever I'm starting a game with someone who has not played before, they always ask: "Why am I on this Space Hulk? What's my purpose?" Instead of feebly answering: "To kill some aliens." I wait until the location cards are dealt, then I show them the '4' card, saying: "This is your mission. You have to fight your way to this room, and do [whatever the final mission on the 4 card is].

It doesn't really change the game balance, but it does give the game more focus for the player- they feel like they are 'going' somewhere to do something specific. It gives the game structure and meaning. I recommend it as a harmless house rule.

Thoughts?

That seems pretty harmless and I think it would be a great thing for newcomers to focus on. The only issue I see is you lose all suspense of what you are going to be deal with on the hulk. Which is half of the fun with the game.

Good houserule, I like it for new players or any group. Playing solo I prefer the suspense, but it does make sense to give the group an objective.

Agreed. But only for new players; some rooms are much harder than others to finally beat so keeping that a secret with experienced players adds to the tension for me.