Question of Scale

By farseer, in X-Wing

Magnus Grendel said:

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship.

partido_risa.gif

I'm personally of the mindset that they should refrain from capital ships. I feel like the WotC Starship Battles has already done that. And I am excited for a dogfighting game. To my knowledge, there really hasn't been anything like it in Star Wars merchandising to date.

But since all expansions are to be non-random, I don't have to buy capital ships if they do come out with them, right?

Somebody mentioned the Millenium Falcon , and I just have to say how cool that ship would be in this game! It'd have 360 degree firing arc, except for the concussion missiles. So sweet!

Chimaera's "Capital ships as mats" idea is intriguing. I think it could work with this game because the material Fantasy Flight Games has released so far indicates that they're big on scenarios, and captial ship mats would add a wealth of possible scenarios from destroying various components to . . . destroying other components. . . . Okay, so maybe not a wealth of scenarios, but it still sounds cool to me.

Woops that was Chimaera's "Capital ships as mats" idea. He was just quoting IG-58 so I flubbed up there. My bad.

[EDIT] Hey, I found the edit button so I just fixed it, but I don't know how to delete posts. Oh well happy.gif

Parakitor said:

But since all expansions are to be non-random, I don't have to buy capital ships if they do come out with them, right?

That's why I love FFG's non-random packaging. The game is no more or less than the parts you actually want.

Suuure is a shame IJT lives way up in Canada, instead of down in Minnesota, since Dog and I are getting together Monday to work on our Scale-film & play Settlers of Catan....

pocoyo_joe said:

Bring on the Star Destroyers!!!

I, for one, would actually prefer that they keep the scale constant - as they have in Wing of War - and concentrate on rounding out the fighters for the game.

Eventually I'd be happy to see Millenium Falcon sized minis, but frigates and Star Destroyers seem beyond the scope of what I would like to see from the game.

schoon said:

I, for one, would actually prefer that they keep the scale constant - as they have in Wing of War - and concentrate on rounding out the fighters for the game.

Eventually I'd be happy to see Millenium Falcon sized minis, but frigates and Star Destroyers seem beyond the scope of what I would like to see from the game.

Totally with you on that. From the apparent size, ships the size of the MoFo or Slave-I are perfectly feasable; but I agree I don't want to see some stupidly off-scale Lancer frigate try to put in an appearance! PLENTY to work with at true Fighter Scale.

IG-58 said:

Suuure is a shame IJT lives way up in Canada, instead of down in Minnesota, since Dog and I are getting together Monday to work on our Scale-film & play Settlers of Catan....

Dammit! I'm off Monday! enfadado.gif

Can't wait to see the video...

pocoyo_joe said:

Anyone remember Star Warriors by West End Games?

Back in 87 (or was it 88?), WEG release a starfighter combat game that could be used on its own or in conjunction with the then SW RPG. It was counters on a hex grid map rather than minis (although that didn't stop me trying to use Micro Machines SW ships with the rules in the early 90s).

Now each starfighter was one counter that fit on one hex off the map grid, the same for the Falcon and Slave 1 too, however Star Destroyers covered about 7 or 8 hexes on the map grid (bigger but not so huge to ruin the game).

of course the space represented by one grid hex was much bigger than the area a single TIE or X-Wing took up, but each hex represented the distance a ship could cover relative to other ships of different speeds, it;s only the ISD that actually was as big as the hexes it took up.

Something like Star Warriors only with minis would be excellent.

I still own and play this game actually. first board game I ever owned..I bought it from the gift shop after startours at disneyland as a kid and was a boardgame fan ever since :P . hope this one is at least as good

IG-58 said:

schoon said:

Totally with you on that. From the apparent size, ships the size of the MoFo or Slave-I are perfectly feasable; but I agree I don't want to see some stupidly off-scale Lancer frigate try to put in an appearance! PLENTY to work with at true Fighter Scale.

I think if there is a place for the Star Destroyers in the game it should just be a gaming mat with a built in scenario to accompany it, even that would have to take its liberties with scale.

Yeti1775 said:

Could do two scales.

One at the Capital Ship level, and one at the Dogfight level.

This would please all involved.

At the Capital Ship level fighters would be represented on a Squadron level, think something like the Demonswarm mini.

That would let you have the massive fleet battles, but also let you focus on individual players in their fighters if you want.

Just re-reading the thread, and was struck by what a brilliant idea this is. With the exchangeable inserts on the bases it would be so simple to switch a starfighter into a squadron: just include base inserts that have stats appropriate to the new large-scale game. I'm digging that idea. Well voiced, Yeti.

One could only hope that if successful they will increase the range to include other fighters and smaller ships.

I hope they do a fleet action scale game too like the wizards game, only with well balanced rules happy.gif

MarthWMaster said:

I hope capital ships will make an appearance. Not the local bulk cruisers, mind you. I'm talking about the big Corellian ships, now.

I see what you did there.

I would think that incorporating capital ships would force a big change in the mechanics of the game itself. Keeping the fighter/frigate sized ships in one game and capital/fighter squadron level ships in a separate game might be the better idea. (although the downside is having to rebuy ships)

I would love to see the capitol ships like the Star Destroyers show up like the Wings of War Zeppelin's. Where they are as much terrain as anything else. It would be cool to do a game with all the Rebel fighters and Tie fighters doing battle around one.

Just weighing in for any FFG developers lurking in here. True Scale or nothing. That is all.

Yeah, I think I'd like all the miniatures to scale. Parakitor and I were talking and it seems from the images like the X-wing is too small. I wonder how it will really be. And I wonder if the Slave I and Millennium Falcon will be to scale with the other craft, or if they will just be to scale with respect to each other but not to other craft.

They say in one of the articles that all the ships will be to scale (saying doesn't mean doing , of course). But if all the ships are in scale, then compared to the X-wing, the Millennium Falcon oughta be about the size of a compact disc. That'd be weird! I guess we'll see how they go (and if they intend to do transports at all)...

I. J. Thompson said:

...compared to the X-wing, the Millennium Falcon oughta be about the size of a compact disc.

Woah, I suggest you go back and watch Return of the Jedi again, specifically the scene with the establishing shot of the hangar bay in Home One (right before Han says, "Take her. I mean it, take her." Scene 17 on the Special Edition DVD) The Millennium Falcon actually is about twice as wide as an X-wing, if that. There's an X-wing at the very bottom of the shot, behind the Falcon , and it looks only marginally smaller than the hunk of junk.

Budgernaut said:

Yeah, I think I'd like all the miniatures to scale. Parakitor and I were talking and it seems from the images like the X-wing is too small. I wonder how it will really be. And I wonder if the Slave I and Millennium Falcon will be to scale with the other craft, or if they will just be to scale with respect to each other but not to other craft.

Well, as you say, the X-Wing looks a bit too small compared to the TIE Fighter, and of course TIE Fighters are to X-Wings as Slave One is to the Millennium Falcon .

Parakitor said:

I. J. Thompson said:

...compared to the X-wing, the Millennium Falcon oughta be about the size of a compact disc.

Woah, I suggest you go back and watch Return of the Jedi again, specifically the scene with the establishing shot of the hangar bay in Home One (right before Han says, "Take her. I mean it, take her." Scene 17 on the Special Edition DVD) The Millennium Falcon actually is about twice as wide as an X-wing, if that. There's an X-wing at the very bottom of the shot, behind the Falcon , and it looks only marginally smaller than the hunk of junk.

Yes but the scale in the film is all off. The exterior dimensions are different from the interior dimensions which are different from the matte paintings. Scale is all up in the air since the source material wasn't even consistent. What I heard from documentaries is that all they cared about when making the film is that things looked right. They weren't as concerned with consistencies from shot to shot.

EDIT: From that perspective, all this game needs to do is make it look right. I'm not gonna be measuring my figures to the nanometer to make sure they're right. It just needs to feel right when I look at it. Wizards of the Coast's Starship Battles game definitely didn't do that, but I think FFG will make sure the Millennium Falcon and the Slave I don't look too small compared to the other fighters.

I just noticed, the ships in the game box look to be the right size proportional to one another. The other images are probably taken from an earlier draft of the game.

MarthWMaster said:

I just noticed, the ships in the game box look to be the right size proportional to one another. The other images are probably taken from an earlier draft of the game.

Really? I read that TIE fighters are about 8 m tall but X-wings are 12.5 m long. That means the X-wing should be 1.562 times as long as the TIEs are tall, meaning an extra 1/2 the height of the TIE. Maybe my source is incorrect.

Budgernaut said:

Yes but the scale in the film is all off... all they cared about when making the film is that things looked right. They weren't as concerned with consistencies from shot to shot.

Grr, Budgernaut, I was hoping you wouldn't bring that up, though I was well aware of the fact gui%C3%B1o.gif . Because now, basically, all our concern about scale is thrown out the window because if we think it's "wrong" we're simply directed to another reference where the scale in the game is "right." Curse Obi-Wan and his "certain point of view"!