Epic Win

By Xenu's Paradox, in Star Wars: The Card Game

MarthWMaster said:

whereas Lucas at least recognizes that Darth Vader is among his most compelling characters, and well, Jabba's just a boss.

I think that is because Vader has a lot more dimension than most of the other protagonists in starwars. He is more machine than man, Why? He has a chip on his shoulder yet saves his son in the end. Why? etc.

Vader is not the most 3 diminesional character around, but as you noted, he is rather compelling.

Contrast this with the whiney, snot nosed and incestuous brat that is Luke Sky walker, and you can easily see why the dark side likely has a larger following. People like Han Solo who shares much of the same mysteries as Vader, not Skywalker.

At least Rowling attempted to make her protagonist Potter more compelling, but ultimately he is just as emo as Skywalker.

Frankly, with as much 'good' as Lucas has done for the franchise with his last three films, he may as well just stop being so draconian and let others run within the set background without constraining creativity to exclude a possible antagonist victory.

Being bad was one of the reasons why KotOR II was so good.

I agree, that Luke in the PT is a rather .. "flat" character. But the latest releases of novels (not regarding their general quality) picture him as a rather developed character with wits and humor at about 60 years. It seems like the EU developed Luke, not Lucas.

I woud've been a fan of both, this coop game or any pvp card game. I play rebells anyway ;)

Pericles said:

I question whether we will ever get a Darkside version of this game. Lucas is funny about that sort of thing; he has always been a strong proponent that good must overcome evil, and that everybody should be supporting the guy wearing the white hat. To put the player in the shoes of the "bad guys" and reward him/her for doing "evil" goes against a lot of his rhetoric. It is possible that, in the end, the money will persuade him to turn a blind eye and allow production of a darkside version, but I wouldn't count on it.

gui%C3%B1o.gif

Hellfury said:

the whiney, snot nosed and incestuous brat that is Luke Sky walker

3 cheers for that! gran_risa.gif

jhaelen said:

Well, Lucasgames didn't have any problem releasing 'Tie Fighter' after the 'X-Wing' computer game. It also happened to be a better _and_ more successful game. I wonder if there's a lesson to be learned? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Very true. Personally, I would welcome a DS version of the LCG, if, for not other reason, to play with some of the great characters from that side (such as Vader).

However, look at the Tie Fighter video game. It puts you in the cockpit of an Imperial ship, but are you strafing Rebels or blowing-up hidden bases? No. I took the following from Wikipedia (as I have never played the game myself):

"Instead of constantly fighting against the Rebels, many missions deal with the elimination of pirates and other criminals, as well as civil wars, traitorous Imperials, and otherwise maintaining order in the galaxy." -cited above

So, even when you are in a prime position to wreak havoc across the galaxy, Lucas shackles you with a moral imperative. I'm not saying it's good or bad; I'm just pointing out that it makes the creation of a game where your goal is to subjugate and destroy somewhat "problematic".

My caveat here is the following: Lucas has never left a dollar unclaimed. If this LCG is successful, and there is sufficient demand for a DS version, there is every possibility that he will deliver. I'm getting ahead of myself, though. Let's just see how this game does before we start planning future core sets. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Toqtamish said:

Rumb13stiltzkin said:

Personally, the cooperative dynamic is so refreshing!

Everyone is willing to play a game much more often!

The Dark Side is seductive, sure, but when you're watching the movies, everyone cheers for the good guys.

What movies are you watching ? I cheer for the Empire.

Same here. I didn't pick my name because I liked Luke 'farmboy' or Spice Smuggling Han...