Adding Expansions

By Pimply, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello -

So here is a question my friends and I have really been wanting to get an answer for. First let me give you a quick introduction.

I own all expansions for Descent, and we have played through Journeys (the core game) and have moved on to WOD. Now, what we have done since Journeys, is incorporate all of the heros/monsters/treachery cards etc. into the deck as we have heard that it balances the game out rather nicely. We believe so far that it has truly balanced the game, and have no indications that it has not.

Now that we have moved onto WOD and are about to begin the 4th quest we find ourselves asking if we should include the heros/monsters/treachery cards from Ice and SoB. We have been wanting to do this since the core game but have been very hesitant because we didn't know what that would do for balancing the game.

So I would like to ask my fellow experienced gamers what you have done. Do you recommend just adding the expansions in as you complete the prior one, or do you see any issues with just throwing them in now. We do understand that there will be some things that may cause issues especially with some hero abilities such as feat cards etc.. That is why I wanted to find out what you have done to balance this, and what you would suggest for us to do here.

Perhaps we are getting a bit too anxious and want to play with the "new stuff" or perhaps we are just looking to determine if we can further balance the game. I would think that the creators made the expansions to be added in as they were created, but due to all of the "balancing" issues many folks express, we were wondering if it would just be beneficial to just add them all now.

If you could provide me with as much detail as possilbe that would be much appreciated, such as: Would you add all of the expanions, Would you add just one additional expansion or would you not include any expansions at all?

I believe these are all of the questions we had about this, I will mention this to my friends, and if I missed something i will udpate this thread.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing back from you all!

I don't think SoB has anything to add to vanilla games. You could mix in the dungeon cards from SoB with a game of RtL, but that's about it.

Tomb, go ahead and mix it in just like you have the others. Especially if the heroes would like a little boost.

I would agree that SoB doesn't have anything to do with the original quests. As for ToI, there are heroes, such as Arvel Worldwalker, that have abilities that don't play with the original series due to Feats or the Tread Ice ability. But you can just pull those heroes if you pick them and they don't apply.

i think he is talking more about the skill cards for SoB