Great People, Event timing etc

By MiB1975, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Hi all,

after our first game yesterday (2 Players), some questions came up that I couldn't answer using the rulebook or FAQ. Maybe you can help.

- Is there any way to "retreat" from a combat? (e.g. can you prevent the loss of multiple units somehow if attacked by a superior force)? My answer would be no, but I wanted to make sure.

- Is there a way to voluntarly remove a building or (more importantly) a Great person from the board, or does it always have to be replaced by a new building. (e.g. can I remove a Great person, place it on my Civ card and put it into another position in your next turn?)

- Is there a limit to the number of Great Persons per city?

- If you acquire a technology during the movement phase (e.g. by winning a battle against an enemy non-capital city, or by the Russian special ability), when does it take effect? Let's say you steal Flight with your first Army figure move, do all your other pieces move with Speed 6 on this turn already.

- What exactly does the "Cancel an action" ability in the city managment phase mean? Can you cancel only city actions, or also actions from cards such as Democracy? And if so, are the resources lost, or is the action just delayed? If you cancel the Build action of a city using Engineering to split their production, is that ability forfeited for the turn? My answer would be that you can only cancel city actions and that special abilities are not wasted. That would also answer the resoure question (as there is nothing lost)

- The FAQ explains that a settler can funnel resources from an enemy building/wonder to one of your towns. Can you also "transport" resources from on of your towns to another of your towns (e.g. to increase production in a newly founded city)?

Thanks a lot for your input!

MiB1975 said:

Hi all,

after our first game yesterday (2 Players), some questions came up that I couldn't answer using the rulebook or FAQ. Maybe you can help.

- Is there any way to "retreat" from a combat? (e.g. can you prevent the loss of multiple units somehow if attacked by a superior force)? My answer would be no, but I wanted to make sure.

- Is there a way to voluntarly remove a building or (more importantly) a Great person from the board, or does it always have to be replaced by a new building. (e.g. can I remove a Great person, place it on my Civ card and put it into another position in your next turn?)

- If you acquire a technology during the movement phase (e.g. by winning a battle against an enemy non-capital city, or by the Russian special ability), when does it take effect? Let's say you steal Flight with your first Army figure move, do all your other pieces move with Speed 6 on this turn already.

- What exactly does the "Cancel an action" ability in the city managment phase mean? Can you cancel only city actions, or also actions from cards such as Democracy? And if so, are the resources lost, or is the action just delayed? If you cancel the Build action of a city using Engineering to split their production, is that ability forfeited for the turn? My answer would be that you can only cancel city actions and that special abilities are not wasted. That would also answer the resoure question (as there is nothing lost)

- The FAQ explains that a settler can funnel resources from an enemy building/wonder to one of your towns. Can you also "transport" resources from on of your towns to another of your towns (e.g. to increase production in a newly founded city)?

-No, just keep playing your guys on new fronts and hope your opponent doesn't kill them.

-No for building, yes for Great People.

-No.

-My guess would be immediately.

-Cancel a city action, so a build action, a harvest action or a devout to the arts action.

-No. A city's outskirts can belong to only that city.

cmdrsils said:

MiB1975 said:

Hi all,

-No, just keep playing your guys on new fronts and hope your opponent doesn't kill them.

-No.

-Cancel a city action, so a build action, a harvest action or a devout to the arts action.

I actually sent in a rules question about the Scout asking if it may funnel resources from one of your own cities to another of your cities and the answer was yes. So you CAN let a scout figure send, for example, construction points that your Capital doesn't need (maybe they Capital is devoting to the arts or have more construction than they need anyway) to a newly settled city to help boost the new city's initial growth. Needless to say, though, the Capital cannot also use the same resources.

Thanks for your answers. What do you base your answers on? Your own judgement? A part of the rules that I did not find? Previous discussion in the forum?

Fnoffen said:

cmdrsils said:

MiB1975 said:

Hi all,

-No.

I actually sent in a rules question about the Scout asking if it may funnel resources from one of your own cities to another of your cities and the answer was yes. So you CAN let a scout figure send, for example, construction points that your Capital doesn't need (maybe they Capital is devoting to the arts or have more construction than they need anyway) to a newly settled city to help boost the new city's initial growth. Needless to say, though, the Capital cannot also use the same resources.

this is a right answer and i think it was answered by Kevin on BGG.

"I actually sent in a rules question about the Scout asking if it may funnel resources from one of your own cities to another of your cities and the answer was yes. So you CAN let a scout figure send, for example, construction points that your Capital doesn't need (maybe they Capital is devoting to the arts or have more construction than they need anyway) to a newly settled city to help boost the new city's initial growth. Needless to say, though, the Capital cannot also use the same resources."

Fnoffen -

Can you link the primary source of the errata regarding Scouts being able to sit in one of your cities and send back resources? This directly contradicts pg. 20 "Friendly and Enemy Cities: A player may move their figures through their own city centers, but they may not end any figure's movement in their city center. [...]"

Also, even IF a scout could sit in one of your cities, pg. 13 "Building New Cities: [...] Note: The city center never generates anything. Its map [sic] icons are effectively erased as long as the city marker remains. Only squares in a city's outskirts provide icons and resources. "

Disregard my last post. It seems you're talking about having a scout in a city's outskirts and not on the city itself - to which, I do not disagree.

No no. You are correct. It is a fact, in my oppinion at least, that failure to communicate in a correct manner can spark many a forum feud and I am not ashamed to admit when I have neglected to produce a correct phrasing. To explain my lack of accuracy: When not on the forums, I tend to clump closely related occurances together thus, in this case, simplifying the naming of the two occurances "city center" and "city outskirts" with the collective term "city".