Missing Midnight

By andrew35, in Runebound

After having perused your new website (incredible is all I can say), I noticed there's no mention of the Runebound Midnight expansion. Thankfully I have a copy, but I was just curious why it's no longer listed. Is it out of print (permanently)?

I noticed that midnight has been missing from the list on the old site as well, and for sometime now. I asked in the old forum if it was not going to be produced again didn't really get a answer, but it looks like Midnight is no longer going to be in the Runebound range. I have the add on and here in the UK it is still available to buy.

gui%C3%B1o.gif

Midnight was not a scuccess from what I understand. It changed the mechanics of Runebound too much to be popular. It doesn't tie-in well with anything else in the range at all.

Midnight was an interesting experiment, but in the end it was too "radical" a change from the standard Runebound formula.

I never bought midnight but from what I understand players basically have to fight each other? They seem to be trying to bring that mechanic back with some of the cards in the later challenge expansion.

Actually, it is more of a semi-cooperative game. All the heroes cooperate to beat one other player who plays the evil night lord (or some such name).

I am actually soloing all of the expansions, and am on game 3 of Midnight (I'm trying to beat each night king before moving onto Avatars of K).

It does have some issues (too many red patrols!) but I'll be damned if it isn't great. Certainly glad I have it.

I'm glad to own it as well. If you like Runebound and you get a chance to get it then I'd say go for it. It really is innovative for an expansion...it has a complete different feel to it than the other expansions. Still, it hurts my brain a little to play as there the game rules are so radically different.

Slev said:

Midnight was not a scuccess from what I understand. It changed the mechanics of Runebound too much to be popular. It doesn't tie-in well with anything else in the range at all.

Still, if it's out of print, it can't have been a total wreck, as that means FFG sold every copy printed, at least to distributors.

I'm glad I have it, as I love the Midnight RPG world.

Its a shame that it isn't supported anymore...It looked cool

I am urging the guy in my group who owns all the other boxed expansions to get it, but so far no luck.. :(

Well I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who noticed it was missing. Either or I was hoping they would at least have mentioned it on the website and had the rules and FAQ posted for it. That would be nice.

I have to say I don't think you're missing much if you don't have Midnight.

It seems like they tried to graft another game entirely onto the Runebound format and it didn't come off that well.

The heroes are also on the main a little underpowered compared to those in the main game and other expansions and probably not very useful outside the Midnight expansion itself.

Still, if you're a completist it's worth tracking down, but I would say so far Midnight and the character decks are the weak links of the Ruenbound line.

I was looking for it too, as I have the boxed expansion but noticed that it was not on the website any more and neither is the rpg line.

My guess is that with D20 going 4th ed and the more lucrative boardgame and new rpg lines that midnight lost out.

And that along with the demise of the rpg goes all the baggage. including the runebound expansion pity as I had a real soft spot for the world were sauron er I mean midnight had won.

Well I shall hope for a resurrection but I think they removed those kind of spells from the setting right from the start?