Do aliens start face up under the standard rules?

By DoggieMon, in Cosmic Encounter

I tried searching the forums and internet and couldn't find an answer. I recently purchased Cosmic Encounters and find it a superb game. However there is one thing I believe is unclear in the rulebook and not addressed in the FAQs I've seen. The rulebook states that when a player chooses an alien under the standard rules it is placed face down on the table, but later in the rulebook it presents hiding your alien race as an optional rule, revealing it whenever you use its power. So my question is: is this an error on the manual or is the optional rule the actual standard rule for the game. Any help in clarifying this will be greatly appreciated.

Hi!

As far as I'm aware, all aliens are played face up. The "hidden" option is indeed a variant.

DoggieMon said:

The rulebook states that when a player chooses an alien under the standard rules it is placed face down on the table, but later in the rulebook it presents hiding your alien race as an optional rule, revealing it whenever you use its power. So my question is: is this an error on the manual or is the optional rule the actual standard rule for the game. Any help in clarifying this will be greatly appreciated.

The reason you place your alien face down when you choose it is so that other players do not choose their aliens based on which on you chose. Once all players have chosen their aliens, everyone reveals which alien he is.

Thank you all for prompt replies. The manual just stated to put the alien race cards face down and leaves it at that. After re-reading the manual several times I couldn't find the answer and decided to post. Again, thanks.

Your right it doesnot say anywhere in the rules to turn them face up again. Never noticed that before.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Choose Aliens: Shuffle the flare cards and deal two to each
player. The player takes the alien sheets corresponding to
the two flares and looks at them in secret, choosing one of
the two aliens to play during this game. The chosen alien is
placed facedown in front of the player, while the other alien
sheet is returned to the box.

Note: The aliens are rated by recommended player
skill level, shown by the alert lamps in the upper
corners of the alien sheet and the flare cards. If
playing with beginners, the green alert aliens
are most suitable. If playing with moderately

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only played them face up after everyone chose them due to the varient rule. Just took it to mean that normal rules have them turned up after everyone selects powers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hidden Powers
In this variant, players leave their alien sheets facedown after
selecting them at the start of the game. While a player’s alien
sheet remains facedown, its power cannot be used. A player
may turn his or her alien sheet faceup at any time in order to
use it. Once turned faceup, the player’s alien sheet remains
faceup for the rest of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probaly should be a line under step 7 of the set up to turn over the powers for clarity.

after revealing which alien everyone chose, what happens if someone chose a combo that the alien sheets say not to use together? I mean I'm sure we'd be able to amicably resolve it at the table if it came up, but Is there an official rule for that?

NidoKing said:

after revealing which alien everyone chose, what happens if someone chose a combo that the alien sheets say not to use together? I mean I'm sure we'd be able to amicably resolve it at the table if it came up, but Is there an official rule for that?

okay, thanks for the reply