Deck mechanics

By SeerMagic, in Horus Heresy

does the decks in the game work like typical card games? drawing 5-7 cards out of a 40+ card deck, with most of the cards being different?

Which decks? You mean the combat card decks? The number of cards you draw for a single battle (you draw new cards for each battle and discard cards that you did not use afterwards) depends on the combat strength of your units which take part in that battle. It can be as low as one or as high as ten or sometimes even more (total combat strength divided by 2, rounded up). Heroes make you draw 2 (at least one unwounded hero present) or 1 (only wounded heroes present) additional hero combat cards (special deck).

The combat card deck has 32 cards, the hero combat card deck 8. Each player has his own two decks. That means that the cards are recycled often as the decks quickly run out of cards and are reshuffled.

As for the card types: Chaos combat card deck: 7 unique cards, 5 with two copies each, 3 with three copies each, 1 with six copies. Imperial combat card deck: 6 unique cards, 5 with two copies each, 2 with three copies each, 1 with four copies each, 1 with six copies.

The order card decks usually don't get depleted in a game, thus no reshuffling. They have many unique cards and some who are included twice in each deck.

thanks for the info. my brother wanted me to find out. he can't stand games that are luck of the card draw.

I forgot to mention: Each player has a number of recyclable order cards in the starting hand so that luck of the draw doesn't rob the players of the most basic order options.