Playing a Disrupt

By Yipe, in CoC Rules Discussion

My group just started playing the Call of Cthulhu LCG, and after a few games under our belts, I have a quick question about disrupts. Specifically, when can a disrupt be played or activated? Is it only after a "triggered effect", and are those effects limited to Action, Response, Forced Response, or another Disrupt? Or can a disrupt be played without a triggered effect? Or does resolving a struggle count as a triggered effect?

For an example, I'll use the card Rites of Luveh-Keraph (an attachment):

Disrupt: before a triggered effect resolves, pay 1 to give attached character +2 skill or 4 arcane until the end of the phase.

In this case, you can't simply pay 1 to activate the attachment during the white box Action sequence of a story phase unless something triggers it, correct? And if something does trigger this card, it can be played at any time during the story phase, right?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Yipe

A disrupt will always tell you when you can play it. In the case of the card you cited you must wait until someone (even you if you wish) triggers another effect, then you can trigger Rites of Luveh-Keraph, which pauses the resolution of the previous effect, Rites of Luveh-Keraph resolves, then that original triggered effect finishes its resolution.

If you wait until the other triggered resolves you have missed your opportunity to trigger Rites of Luveh-Keraph, and must wait until it comes around again.