Do you have also the feeling that most of the game revolves around Gandalf?

By Shelfwear, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

My understanding per the LOTR card game errata 10/28/11 is that you cannot use stand and fight on gandalf since he is a neutral ally.

My understanding per the LOTR card game errata 10/28/11 is that you cannot use stand and fight on gandalf since he is a neutral ally.

You are correct - the errata breaks this combo.

As well as stopping people from slowing the game down to eliminate threat with the 10 VPs/turn.

Gandalf is good, but I'm noticing that as more cards are coming out, he's less needed to pull off a win.

I haven't played all scenarios yet, but imo Gandalf is useless in Rhosgobel. Just to decrease you threat level in the end of game for better score.

LEGA said:

I haven't played all scenarios yet, but imo Gandalf is useless in Rhosgobel. Just to decrease you threat level in the end of game for better score.

Drawing cards if you use Lore (of Imladris) and don't have Beravor or killing flying Enemies when you have no Ranged people in play. I think I used Gandy for all three of his options when I played through Rhosgobel.

Dam said:

LEGA said:

Drawing cards if you use Lore (of Imladris) and don't have Beravor or killing flying Enemies when you have no Ranged people in play. I think I used Gandy for all three of his options when I played through Rhosgobel.

If you play solo. I always play 2 players games. Most always we have Legolas (for flying enemies) and Beravor (for cards and healing) in Rhosgobel.

But yes, it depends on your deck. If you want to have good challenge and you don't take Ranged and Eagles allies to you deck, Gandalf will be really usefull)))

LEGA said:

If you play solo. I always play 2 players games. Most always we have Legolas (for flying enemies) and Beravor (for cards and healing) in Rhosgobel.

But yes, it depends on your deck. If you want to have good challenge and you don't take Ranged and Eagles allies to you deck, Gandalf will be really usefull)))

I play 2-deck games mostly. But I have four decks, each gets paired with another deck once per quest, for a total of six plays per quest. Lore/Leadership has Denethor, Gloin, Glorfindel for no draw, no ranged among heroes, Leadership/Tactics has Aragorn, Legolas, Theodred, no draw, but ranged isn't an issue (one or two eagles I think), Tactics/Spirit at the time had Eowyn, Gimli, Thalin for no draw, no ranged (had eagles) and Spirit/Lore had Beravor, Dunhere, Eleanor for draw, but no ranged. Any of the first three when paired with each other, drawing was a problem, ditto for threat management and even killing, Wilyador was forced to defend quite often and undefended attacks weren't uncommon.

I think that Gandalf must be limit once per deck.

Look who don't put Gandalf 3 times in his deck ? One time in 4 player Games he is present all the game at every turn...

So far my playing experience leads me to this:

Gandalf's importance in the game is well calibrated to Gandalf's importance in the books.

And just to be clear, I think that's fantastic.

Lilian said:

Look who don't put Gandalf 3 times in his deck ? One time in 4 player Games he is present all the game at every turn...

Me!

I have up to two copies of Gandy Dandy in my decks. In non-leadership decks he is imo most times too expensive and I don't like having my hand full of grey-haired old men. Though in most games he doesn't even show up, he's quite useful when he "precisely means to appear"

Dam said:

LEGA said:

I play 2-deck games mostly. But I have four decks, each gets paired with another deck once per quest, for a total of six plays per quest. Lore/Leadership has Denethor, Gloin, Glorfindel for no draw, no ranged among heroes, Leadership/Tactics has Aragorn, Legolas, Theodred, no draw, but ranged isn't an issue (one or two eagles I think), Tactics/Spirit at the time had Eowyn, Gimli, Thalin for no draw, no ranged (had eagles) and Spirit/Lore had Beravor, Dunhere, Eleanor for draw, but no ranged. Any of the first three when paired with each other, drawing was a problem, ditto for threat management and even killing, Wilyador was forced to defend quite often and undefended attacks weren't uncommon.

Last night I played Rhosgobel with Beravor, Eowyn, Eleanor and Legolas, Theodred, Aragorn (2 players game) and 3 Lore of Imladris were in last 7-10 cards of my deck. I used Beravor and had to use Gandalf to draw more 3 cards to catch at least one, because there were 18 damage tokens on Wylador and only one Athelas. But I got Gleowyne and then only he draw me one Lore of Imladris. So Gandalf really helped me yesterday in drawing cards. And also second player used Gandalf in game to defeat Hummerhorn. We had only Legolas (with Unexpected Courage and Axe) in game as Ranged and it was enough to defeat 3 Flocks and 1-2 Bats.

Lilian said:

I think that Gandalf must be limit once per deck.

lengua.gif