'Fixed' Counter attack at Orel

By The Hungarian, in Tide of Iron

Just thought I'd pass this on. Replayed the above and had the best FOTB engagement yet. Germans won, just. Was very, very close with action all the way.

Fix as follows: (i) Russians move onto the board instead of deploying at start.

(ii) Germans can deploy on neutral 2cp space.

(iii) Germans have Tank Buster Deck

(iv) Russian round 4 reinforcements come in as (i) at start of round 5

(v) Germans get 1 Panther reinforcement status phase 4

The tank buster deck really makes for a lot of action. Lurking in balkas with sticky bombs and anti tank weapons slows the Russian advance and weakens their flank considerably. No longer a red steam roller.

The Hungarian said:

Just thought I'd pass this on. Replayed the above and had the best FOTB engagement yet. Germans won, just. Was very, very close with action all the way.

Fix as follows: (i) Russians move onto the board instead of deploying at start.

(ii) Germans can deploy on neutral 2cp space.

(iii) Germans have Tank Buster Deck

(iv) Russian round 4 reinforcements come in as (i) at start of round 5

(v) Germans get 1 Panther reinforcement status phase 4

The tank buster deck really makes for a lot of action. Lurking in balkas with sticky bombs and anti tank weapons slows the Russian advance and weakens their flank considerably. No longer a red steam roller.

Sounds interesting, thanks for posting!

Tank-buster deck is a wonderfull deck for this scenario.

Regarding the scenarios, one benefit of the fury of the bear is that this time around we dont know apriory which nation will be strongest. In the earlyer expansions we preaty much know that the US is going to be more powerfull than the germans cuz its an american game for the american public cool.gif

Grand Stone said:

Regarding the scenarios, one benefit of the fury of the bear is that this time around we dont know apriory which nation will be strongest. In the earlyer expansions we preaty much know that the US is going to be more powerfull than the germans cuz its an american game for the american public cool.gif

And yet they are not ;-)

Hefsgaard said:

And yet they are not ;-)

:) :)

Warning, warning, a rant will folow below...

Yes, there might exist one or maybe two scenarios which is unbalanced the other way, and there does exist good balanced scenarios also. But the number of scenarios greatly favoring the US by far outweighs them all. Almost all unbalanced scearios strongly favor the US, and that is not random. Dont tell me otherwise.

It seems almost like the game is designed with the purpose that the germans should be playing the game as a game master , ie that they should let the american player win. Its incredible stupid. And this is what I HATE about this game.

I do not see it that way. We have an equal share of American and German victories in our plays.

I do not feel sbeing set back as the German player or being highly favoured by the game when I play the Americans.

Maybe you had a bad choice of scenarios or simply bad luck so far?

Btw: I am German gran_risa.gif

Maybe I was a bit quick and sharp. Yes there do excist a few good scenarios, and they are great fun to play

Apu said:

Btw: I am German gran_risa.gif

Hi Apu, where do you live? I am in Cologne.

Hey, as least the German infantry figures are about the same height as Americans in TOI, unlike the obvious difference in Memoir 44, where the German hunchbacks with SMGs look like dwarves next to the AMERICAN RIFLEMEN. or HEROIC COMRADES of the USSR.

The luck factor can be mininized by using effectiveness charts and less extreme results using just a single 4, 6,8 or 12 sided die. I personally do not like having to roll so many dice for every engagement., and I get extremely frustrated by a bad roll of 13 dice and no hits at point blank range, so I switched to results table, which minimizes the extremes. while speeding up the die rolling.

Hi:

My TOI experience has thus far being this: If the original battle was really hard for one side, they usually lose. I've always played the Germs & sometimes they win & sometimes they lose. Ditto for them Commies. & Gringos & W*nkers (but I haven't played them).

L