Anima: Beyond Fantasy Vs Anima: Beyond Fantasy Core Exxet

By player1648668, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

I heard that the spanish version of the core rulebook is a revised edition that completely changes major rules of the games. Since, I suppose, that the supplements are released with the new rules, how do they mesh with the old core rulebook from FFG?

They mesh pretty well...besides a web supplement resolved all mayor problems with retrocompatibility. Somewhere along this forum you should find a downloadable english version of such (and previous) web supplements, kindly provided by other users.

Anyway, don't worry too much about it. The game is substantially the same.

It's just that I'm pondering to buy it, but I'm wavering between the FFG version or the spanish revised edition. I can read Spanish but I prefer english.

The spanish version is the revised edition and uses the metric system and that for me is a plus, but I really do prefer English.

Irxson said:

It's just that I'm pondering to buy it, but I'm wavering between the FFG version or the spanish revised edition. I can read Spanish but I prefer english.

The spanish version is the revised edition and uses the metric system and that for me is a plus, but I really do prefer English.

Core Exxet did the following changes:

1. It replaced the combat table with the underlying mathematical formula. This is something that you should be able to work out yourself from the existing Corebook.

2. It provided 4 preset levels of Zeon for each Spell, rather than the open ended formulas in the existing Corebook. Again, nothing substantial was altered, just the expression and you could do this yourself with the Corebook.

3. More Secondary Characteristics (Skills) are given during advancement. This is a relatively simple additive change that you can find detailed in forum posts. Nothing too remarkable.

4. Some Secondary Characteristics got more detail on their use.

5. New art.

Overall, Core Exxet is clearly in a similar league as the previous printing change (from White Anima to Black Anima). It is not a New Edition. If you can read Spanish as well as English, Core Exxet looks to be a better book, but the existing Corebook works just fine and will continue to do so.

Skywalker said:

3. More Secondary Characteristics (Skills) are given during advancement. This is a relatively simple additive change that you can find detailed in forum posts. Nothing too remarkable.

I'm using this rule in my campaign (old rulebook) and it is quite remarkable. I discovered that, when making high level NPCs that should be challengin for the players, they could not afford to be both competitive in Primary skills, and be able to do what they should be capable of with Secondaries. For instance, who reaches lvl 10 and cannot afford to learn all their basic movement skills like ride, climb, swim, etc to at least 20? PCs were having the same problems, but that was the old core rules. With the new Secondary system, all your skills can become at least trustworthy across the board - it is very nice.

For those who want to test it out (in case you can't find it on this forum):

1) Characters get two Natural Bonuses per level: one on a Physical Ability, and one on a Mental Ability

2) Every level, characters choose 5 different Secondary abilities and add a +10 bonus to each.
*if no DP was spent on the ability recieving the bonus, the character is considered 'trained'
and does not suffer the -30 penalty

3) No Secondary Abilitiy may enjoy more than 100 points worth of these bonuses (combined)

Question about the Core Exxet Skill Changes:

The five skills that get the +10 bonus when you level... do you get that at level 1? Can it be combined with a Class based bonus to go even higher, or do you need to pick a different skill? Can it be five different skills each level, or do they stay the same once you've picked them?

Cheers!

1) Also at Level 1

2) It can be combined with other bonus (it's a special bonus, so the maximum is 100)

3) Every new level you choose the skills which apply the bonus (you can choose the skills you have already selected at previous level)

But I can't find the line which says the skills with this bonus are trained.

hey !

i've read what you been asking about the Core Exxet, And i must totaly agree with all the fellow members here. It's not really worth buying the book, because it's almoste the same thing as the original exept som things, like for an exampel: ''NEW art'' and som other things. So if i where you i would rekommend the normal Core manual , because it's almoste the same thing.

But you do as you wish ofcourse ^^ , I acctly have the spanish version , though i can't read spanish very well. But i got the book free from my mate , but i've translated about 10 pages of the book on my own. And what i've red is almoste the same as the old book , ecept som details.

//Squall

Squall said:

hey !

i've read what you been asking about the Core Exxet, And i must totaly agree with all the fellow members here. It's not really worth buying the book, because it's almoste the same thing as the original exept som things, like for an exampel: ''NEW art'' and som other things. So if i where you i would rekommend the normal Core manual , because it's almoste the same thing.

But you do as you wish ofcourse ^^ , I acctly have the spanish version , though i can't read spanish very well. But i got the book free from my mate , but i've translated about 10 pages of the book on my own. And what i've red is almoste the same as the old book , ecept som details.

//Squall

Would someone mind explaining the new mechanics for attribute rolls? I hate roll under and I was trying to explain Anima to some potential players and had to go through the standard eye-rolls as I said, 'low is good for this, but bad for everything else'.

We prefer unified mechanics...what can I say?

It's like a skill check, you roll the dice and add the value of caracteristic, then you compare the result with the result of your opponent or the difficulty level (6+, 10+, 15+, 20+)

Cool thanks. Are those the only difficulties? What do the four levels stand for? Do you roll a die and add? Do attributes over 10 have any added benefit like they used to?