Curses, now I have to buy it.

By Mjoellnir, in Black Crusade

New preview. Black Crusade will get Necrons and Dark Eldar as enemies.... I'm jealous....

Black Crusade is going to be awesome. So awesome, in fact, that it's the first game I've ever preordered.

gran_risa.gif gui%C3%B1o.gif

Glad people are looking forward to it! lengua.gif

I plan on picking it up myself. I have never really been into Sci Fi RPG type games before, and this will be my first foray into that whole. It looks just to intriguing to pass up.

Warhammer 40k isn't so much "sci-fi" as "medieval science fantasy".

Warhammer Fantasy in Space? gui%C3%B1o.gif

XiMao626 said:

Warhammer Fantasy in Space? gui%C3%B1o.gif

I throw in my support for this one. Remove Chaos though and you get a pretty ok sci-fi setting. Now of course in Black Crusade that would be a bit difficult...

I had a course on science fiction last year and unfortunately the definition of science fiction is incredibly elastic. It even includes space fantasy like Star Wars. gran_risa.gif

AWESOME~!!! Great Evil Vs. Evil action!!

Mjoellnir said:

I had a course on science fiction last year and unfortunately the definition of science fiction is incredibly elastic. It even includes space fantasy like Star Wars. gran_risa.gif

That depends on who you ask. From what I understand, a lot of SpecFic and Hard SF writers tend to view Science Fantasy as not real Sci-Fi.

XiMao626 said:

Mjoellnir said:

That depends on who you ask. From what I understand, a lot of SpecFic and Hard SF writers tend to view Science Fantasy as not real Sci-Fi.

Well alot of other authors discredit sci fi as being rubbish.

Its really a case of middle author trying to be better than someone else even further down the rung.

(Sci fi authors of all kinds can look down upon romantic paperback writers.......etc.)

Necrons, Eldar and Dark Kin. Looks like all missing aliens from Mark of Xenos are here instead in that supposed alien manual that had half of pages covered by chaos minions. I envy you future BC players. You will get all cool stuff and non chaos fans like me will have to wait for 2 edition of wh40k rpg [that I hope will bring ,,one rulebook to rule them all'' and supplements for all wh40k aspects]. Untill that time I am done with FFG and will probably sell my DW/DH books.

You can on the other hand simply rip the rules from BC and transplant them onto DW. (DH is a bad idea i think, since the cahracters are already weak enough as is).

Ill be actually using the DW errata for my RT games. The weapons look alot deadlier, which is fine for the type of game i want to have. (And im no fan of the astartes/normal human distinction since there is no basis in GW fluff and its too easy to circumvent with the right characters/at high levels)

Shadow Walker said:

Necrons, Eldar and Dark Kin. Looks like all missing aliens from Mark of Xenos are here instead in that supposed alien manual that had half of pages covered by chaos minions. I envy you future BC players. You will get all cool stuff and non chaos fans like me will have to wait for 2 edition of wh40k rpg [that I hope will bring ,,one rulebook to rule them all'' and supplements for all wh40k aspects]. Untill that time I am done with FFG and will probably sell my DW/DH books.

Voronesh said:

You can on the other hand simply rip the rules from BC and transplant them onto DW. (DH is a bad idea i think, since the cahracters are already weak enough as is).

They should still work for ascended characters though. That's why I'm probably going to buy the download version. So I have more Xenos to fight in all systems and really big toy box for making chaotic villains.

XiMao626 said:

Mjoellnir said:

Yeah, and "hard" Sci-Fi authors tend to be outright dismissive of anything that's not COMPLETELY BASED IN CURRENTLY-KNOWN SCIENTIFIC FACT!

That's part of the reason I tend not to like hard Sci-Fi, actually... Their hatred and dismissal of settings that make use of technology that isn't currently known, even when it's internally consistent, is kind of off-putting.

Then there's the other marker of hard vs. soft sci-fi, whether or not everything's fully explained. Hard Sci-Fi authors have a reputation for having a near-obsessive love of detail and minutiae, and dismiss sci-fi stories where whole chapters aren't given over to explaining the tech as not being "real" sci-fi, even if the author knows the details for his or her own setting and chooses not to share them because they are irrelevant to the story .

Shadow Walker said:

Considering that all 40kRPG products are fairly compatible, and that BC seems to propose changes vast enough to be considered an actual "second edition", I think you chose a very poor moment to quit.

Virtually no "hard" sci-fi is actually hard. Nothing with FTL can be considered hard. Larry Niven is considered "hard" and is full of gibberish. Banks, Baxter are full of gibberish.

Morangias said:

Shadow Walker said:

Considering that all 40kRPG products are fairly compatible, and that BC seems to propose changes vast enough to be considered an actual "second edition", I think you chose a very poor moment to quit.

Considering this post and the whiny thread they made about Mark of the Xenos, I don't think any moment would be a poor moment for them to quit.

Good riddance, if this is all it takes.

P.S. You're never going to see 'one book to rule them all' , cause you're not going to get it without screwing someone over in the deal ("What do you mean I have to buy Dark Heresy to play Deathwatch!?"). And if anyone saying how great an idea it'd be ever actually played played the World of Darkness (old or new) they'd know it isn't.

Blood Pact said:

P.S. You're never going to see 'one book to rule them all' , cause you're not going to get it without screwing someone over in the deal ("What do you mean I have to buy Dark Heresy to play Deathwatch!?"). And if anyone saying how great an idea it'd be ever actually played played the World of Darkness (old or new) they'd know it isn't.

I think it's a matter of tastes more than anything else, with both formats having their pros and cons. Being the guy who buys all 40k RPG core books anyway, I'd probably benefit from having all general rules in one book and having "splatbooks" focus more on world description and "splat"-specific rules. On the other hand, this format would make the kind of changes that BC introduces to the gameline rather difficult, so I'm not going to complain either.