Game piece painting

By Klaen, in Middle-earth Quest

IMG_5895.jpg

I did a quick trawl through these forums and couldn't find any obvious posts about this, so thought I would kick something off.

I know there have been quite a few complaints about the breakages of game pieces, and having only recently purchased a copy I too suffered the same problem (must have been sitting in the store I purchased it from for quite some time. Regardless they had replacement parts...and consideirng I live in Australia I think that is pretty **** fine customer service/coverage from FFG. I was quite pleased.

Anyway breakages aside, these game pieces (miniatures) are quite well detailed and I thought I might see if anyone else has had a go at painting any of them.

Here is the first piece I have painted - Eometh.

I would like to see other people's work (get some ideas for colour schemes!) I have tried to remain faithful to the scheme set out on the character sheet.

Cheers,

Klaen

Looks great! The minis for this are on my list to get to (eventually) - I don't have a painting table, so I only get my stuff out too infrequently to make too much of a dent in my list!

Post your others when they're done - I'd love to see what you done!

Cheers,

Giles.

IMG_5931.jpg

Eleanor, now finished painting.

Focus for the shot was tricky - couldn't get as close as I wanted, but you get the picture...

Beravor is not far from finished as well!

caradoc said:

Looks great! The minis for this are on my list to get to (eventually) - I don't have a painting table, so I only get my stuff out too infrequently to make too much of a dent in my list!

Post your others when they're done - I'd love to see what you done!

Cheers,

Giles.

Thanks Caradoc, likewise, I have to pack and unpack my painting stuff each night (as I have curious young children), but it has been well worth the effort - having everything in a large plastic container has helped immensely!

Photography skills failing... Beravor and Eleanor's cloak...

IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg

Argalad in all his glory.

As painful as he was to paint, he has become one of my fave finished characters...

Thalin is nearly done, and the forces of Sauron are undercoated. I'll post a group shot of the heroes once I have finished Thalin.

They all look great :)

Can't wait for Thalin! ;)

Finally the heroes are complete! Having had a look at the first post's date/time stamp...it has sadly taken me nearly a month to paint these 5 figures. Ah the joy of being a time poor parent!

IMG_5974.jpg

Anyway I hope you have enjoyed the jounrey as much as I have...however it is not yet over! The Serpent gets his base coat of colour tonight...Stay tuned!

IMG_5970.jpg IMG_5972.jpg

Both piccy's are linked so you can click on them for high-res glory!

Klaen said:

Finally the heroes are complete! Having had a look at the first post's date/time stamp...it has sadly taken me nearly a month to paint these 5 figures. Ah the joy of being a time poor parent!

LOL! If only I could get 5 figures out per month. I'm 99% done with my Doom figures and that took me just under two years. I've just now moved into my Descent figures and if I could get one class of creature done per month, I'd be a happy camper.

Always nice to know there are people more time poor than myself around!

Foolishly I have made the mistake of scheduling my first 4-player game next Friday and thus now only have a week to at least finish painting The Mouth of Sauron, The Black Serpent and Gothmog... ugh!

IMG_5983.jpg

Mouth of Sauron and the Black Serpent...

IMG_5984.jpg

Having fnially had a chance to play the game - I can say it was fantastic having the painted pieces on the gorgeously illustrated game board and with all of the fantastic colours of tokens.

Playing Sauron - the learning curve was certainly steep, and deliberatly not having read many of the cards, to add a 'first game' element of suprise I certainly was on the back foot. The finale was determined that the players win, although having had a second read of the rules with a bit of sleep (we finished the game @ 2am after 6 hours of solid play), I believe we resolved the ending incorrectly... but no big deal, it was awesome fun.

It seriously does my head in as to how well balanced this game is in regards to mechanics.

Well back to painting - While clack undercoated ring-wraith's sufficed I found Gothorog in nothing but black undercoat, when all of the other miniatures were painted, to be somewhat lacking!

Klaen out.

wow... i just want to say great job with the painting. I just got the game and i am considering painting the minis but i am more likely to make them look worse than better. (i lack any sort of skill with a paintbrush)... anyway id love to see more pics of the evil characters.

IMG_6027.jpg IMG_6028.jpg IMG_6030.jpg

Your wish is my command

here we have Gothmog and the Ring Wraiths

Now to get cracking on the Witch King!

Great job!!!! how do you do the bases?

The bases are pretty easy - slightly watered down PVA glue onto the base, then dip the base into sand. Tap off excess and allow to dry, the once dry apply a top layer of watered down PVA glue (runnier than the base application) let that set the sand in place.

Once dry you can base coat it and then ink and dry brush it.

I have varied all of the colours of the bases, generally trying to contrast the bases with the colour scheme of the miniatures.

Good combo's are Browns, and then highlight with a brown-yellow mix.

Grey's, black inks and then grey-white mix for dry brushing.

The flock (grass) you can buy from hobby stores - there is a particular UK based hooby games company which sells a great range of paints and flock etc... Which I have used on these miniatures.

I've probably said it before, but painted the miniatures really add that certain something to the colour and vividness of the game.

Happy painting, and please post here if you want some colour advice or hints and tips regarding techniques.

Wow, those do look great! I'm very curious of your painting techniques. I've just bought some paints to try to mangle my Space Hulk figures, and would love to move on to my Fantasy Flight games, but I'm still very very new. So, do you start out with a primer coat, and if so, what color? Sprayed or hand-painted? I assume you did a base coat then touched up the figures. If you took pictures of the whole process, I'd love to see them!

I'm at the point where I can get the base coat looking okay, but the fine details, washes, etc. don't work out just yet. What did you use to paint the tree on Eleanor's cloak? Do you set the figure on anything, or just hold it by the base?

Thanks!

Whoa! Question assault! (bring it on).

First and foremost I have been painting miniatures on and off for nearly 20 years now, so my biggest piece of advice is to paint, paint, paint. It's the only thing for a steady hand and learning those on-the-job techniques and tricks.

Painting boardgames with large volumes of pieces is a great way to experiment and develop your skills as you can try different things and see comparative results.

Use good quality acrylic paints. Not wanting to mention a gaming competitors name on thsi website, I will PM you some details for painting guides and the best paints.

I free-hand my miniatures, but otehr people I know swear by those manipulative arms and clamp stands. I guess start with free hand and consider a stand if you are having hassles.

I spray undercoat my miniatures - either white for models I want to like bright and vibrant, or black for those I want to paint quickly and want to look grungey (black is much more forgiving on your technique so I suggest black undercoat/primer for beginners).

I used to basecoat - ink - drybrush and then fine detail my miniatures. I now basecoat (as in base colours) - ink and then highlight my miniatures.

Highlighting is a more modern technique where you build colours into highlighted details (like the tops of folds or creases in clothing and cloaks) using slightly thinned paints and building to lighter colours.

I used (very) slightly thinned white acrylic paint on Eleanor's cloak.

Finally for all my high-use minatures I coat them with a matt finish spray.

Happy painting, and I'll PM you some more info shortly.

Cheers

IMG_6048.jpg

Finished.

The Witch King and the Minions of Sauron! All wrapped up.

Phew... only took 2 months lol

IMG_6054.jpg

As I expected, they're looking great :)