Looks like the first of many- and that's good

By SuperKalelJorson7, in Mansions of Madness Print on Demand Expansions

Season of the Witch looks good and since MoM on demand has it's own website, more are in the works. It's great that Launius had a hand in the design. Dreams in the Witch House is one of Lovecraft's best. I wonder if any of his others are being developed into scenarios. For that matter, there are some great Call of Cthulhu scenarios that could be adapted. The Shunned House, the Haunting, etc.

Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard but doesn't $15 seem like a lot for one scenario? At $70 for the base game plus $15 a pop for small expansions this might be one game that I have to pass up. I REALLY want it though.

arkhamresident said:

Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard but doesn't $15 seem like a lot for one scenario? At $70 for the base game plus $15 a pop for small expansions this might be one game that I have to pass up. I REALLY want it though.

Yeah that does seem like quite a steep price, especially since there's no way you can get any kind of discount, like from an online retailer or something. The base game would only be like $55 or so from someplace discounted, but you'll be paying the full $15 a piece for these print on demand expansions. Still, I suppose it is definitely better than nothing, but that does seem pretty pricy.

*Edit* I just checked the store and it gets worse since you can't get free shipping (which again you could from some big online retailer), cheapest shipping on the pack is over $5, which means you'll be paying $20 something per expansion.....yikes! sorpresa.gif

I'm a fan of Dreams in the Witch House but honestly I would really like to see something from the Whisperer in the Darkness (besides Mi-Go). Anyways I got my order placed, I'll let ya'll know how it plays out.

I'm glad that FFG is giving MoM is this level of support. An expansion after what, four months? That's pretty cool. Keep 'em coming guys!

K xx

Depending on what country you are from $15 isnt a lot for an expansion. Partly comes down to your disposable income and how strong your countries currency is.

Hopefully it has been worked out to be sustainable, the method of print will ensure that market is never flooded with excess product, but would anyone feel that it could become collectors items in years to come?

I think $15 is a bit too pricey for a single story expansion. My group will play it once, maybe twice, and be done with it. I can see how the new components would be useful in creating your own stories, however, paying about $20 (with shipping) for about two hours of entertainment isn't something I want to look into. I can go see two movies at the matinee for that price. If the expansion came with two or three stories I might reconsider.

Bloodtyrant said:

I think $15 is a bit too pricey for a single story expansion. My group will play it once, maybe twice, and be done with it. I can see how the new components would be useful in creating your own stories, however, paying about $20 (with shipping) for about two hours of entertainment isn't something I want to look into. I can go see two movies at the matinee for that price. If the expansion came with two or three stories I might reconsider.

+1

the price does seem a bit expensive, but not so much that I wouldn't consider buying it. I just have to wait till the Canadian Postal strike is worked out. That, I think, is the most frustrating aspect of PoD. But I'm sure my shipping difficulties will be all sorted out soon and I can order the expansion ^_^

The price may seem high, but you want to consider that most of that is from the cost of production. Making smaller card expansions and boosters aren't as cost effective as releasing a full game. That's usually why (when you break it down only by dividing cost of game by actual components) an expansion doesn't seem to be worth the price. I considered convincing my local store to try and get some for retail so that I didn't have to pay for shipping costs, but I just couldn't wait. I'll still let them know in case anyone else in my area wants to buy it.

I just got my copy of Season of the Witch. I'm going to run it at a local con next weekend.

I did a search online for Walpurgis Eve, and I found it listed as Walpurgis Night on Wikipedia. There is an awesome image from a woodcut depicting the debauchery the witches would indulge in on that night. Dancing and mating with satyrs, and devils doing horrid things. I made a copy of the image and will give it to the players as an example of information they discovered about Walpurgis Eve before going to the Witch House to do the investigation.

On the cost topic. I agree. I think $14.95 is just a bit too steep, especially when you have to put in shipping charges. I'd like to see FFG consider $11.95 or $12.95 for the next print on demand expansion. On the other hand, if the next expansion has more options, a greater number of choices within the scenario, thus greater re-playability, then maybe go with a $14.95 price tag.

I also created some handy player cheat-sheets that list the available actions that a player may perform on their turn. I'd love to see some professional ones become available from FFG.

And, has their been any hints or rumors of new monsters that may become available? I'd love to have a Dark Young or Deep One miniature.

Bloodtyrant said:

While it's somewhat pricey compared to other games and whatnot I look at it this way:

How much "entertainment money" would 4 players spend for a similar level of entertainment. I guess you could watch TV for free or play other games you bought with the money you don't spend on POD but compared to a ballgame or going to see a movie or other activities it's still reasonably priced.

Some online retailers are carring the PODs, with a discount, like Miniature Market. That would mean your FLGS could buy them, too and sell at retail without shipping, if you could convince them to.

All depends on how much you plan to play... pricey expansions for some other games too, but even if some of them only get played 3 or 4 times a year, over a couple of years the $ is ok.