Status of Reprint?

By MilkFromACow, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

I really can't believe the FF is so mum on the status of this game/reprint. I just got into the series myself, and finally came across this game. The mechanics and design seem amazingly fun, but of course...it's completely not available anywhere without dropping over 200 dollars for a used copy on EBAY.

So, what is the official word FF? Are you guys really reprinting this, are you reworking it, or did you just give up on it all together because you have Battles of Westoros and the LCG? It would really benefit a lot of people to know what your general plan is and some sort of generic time frame. I can't imagine it not being in your top 3 questions asked at Gen Con this year..."What's up with GoT: Board Game?"

Official response??

as above. and what about international versions. series is on and no reprint. what a waste of potential...

As the reprint is still listed under the 'Upcoming' section, I think that we can definitely expect to see a reprint coming out within the next 6-8 months. As youve said, with the popularity of the series and novels growing, it would be an utter waste for FFG to stop producing the game. As for the other two games that share this IP, I think that those games are geared towards different niche markets within gaming. For example, the card game is obviously focused more on people who enjoy games like Dominion, the LOTR card game, and so on. The BattleLore game is blatantly geared towards the wargaming crowd, albeit BattleLore, which some would say is a poor excuse for a wargame.

Into this mix enters the game in question, AGoT:TBG. This game, in my opinion, has been shaped to fit the fancies of people who enjoy good, classic board games. People who live and breath games like RISK, TI3, Talisman, etc. While a simple enough premise (area control), the game allows players to choose how they accomplish the very simple victory conditions. I think that it is different enough from the other two to absolutely warrant a reprint, which as I said before, has been confirmed.

So do not fret, people of Westeros! War will return to the land, and the roaring lion of House Lannister will once again fly on warbanners atop the broken walls of Winterfell!

I have yet to have this beauty grace the hall of my collection, but let's hope that the banners of the Kraken does not fly over Lannisport so easily this time around.

Season 1 of HBO "Game of thrones" ended and still there is no boardgame?

So huge potential, so much money to take... you don't like money, FFG? Even fanpages of HBO serials are ready to promote boardgame for free! (i posted about reprint). Boardgame fans will buy it as a good game, boardgame+GoT fans will buy it obviously, and many "casual" players, but fans of HBO series will buy it just by graphics from series, obvoiously its a great chance wasted atm.

The most annoying thing is the lack of any info... no pre-order... for a good quality game i can pay a lot, but seriously FFG, please sell us this game! ;)

If the holdup on the reprint is because of licencing with HBO and imaging then I'm a little surprised. I'm actually less likely to buy the game if it has HBO images. I've played the original and like the art it came with.

For those that don't know: The HBO issue probably stems from the large number of characters in the boardgame that have not been shown on HBO. The game takes place more in A Clash of Kings [ as A Game of Thrones only details the Starks and Lannisters. Most of the characters in the other factions (Greyjoys, Baratheons, and Tyrells) are not in A Game of Thrones/Season 1 , so the boardgame would probably be another eight months before it was released if that is the issue.

I would be much happier purchasing this game soon with art I liked, rather than waiting around for a remake with art I don't.

I'm looking for this game too.. Played with some friends and it was so awesome that I was looking to buy it... Until I found out it is nowhere to be found. So this reprint thing, the estimated release is Q3 2011 so give it few months... Probably in time for season 2 of the HBO serie.

Is this it here; store.hbouk.com/detail.php because it has the ffg logo and all, but I can't work out if its the game or not thanks to the different title...

Ebonrook said:

Is this it here; store.hbouk.com/detail.php because it has the ffg logo and all, but I can't work out if its the game or not thanks to the different title...

That is not the same game. It is the Battle of Westeros. HBO USA's site also has that game for sale and calls it Game of Thrones Board Game for some reason??

Anyways, add me to the list of people who want the game and cannot believe it's not available after the massive success of the TV show. Please let us know when we can expect the game to be re-released. I would pre-order it if I could! Thank you.

Count me among those eagerly awaiting the reprint for this title.

Would be nice to hear something official from FFG about this.

Count me among those eagerly awaiting the reprint for this title.

Would be nice to hear something official from FFG about this.

So this *IS* actually getting reprinted, correct?

Hardman said:

So this *IS* actually getting reprinted, correct?

Effectively, no. FFG is publishing a new edition that will be a mixture of the 1st edition and some components from various expansions. In my book, a reprint would only be another order of the same game, maybe with some errata and FAQ addressed in the rules. In this case we are looking at more differences and/or addition than a simple reprint would offer.

I've been trying to find info on whether or not the expansions will get a reprint/second edition treatment as well and this is about as close as I've come to a definitive answer. Any more information on this? Sources?

Woohoo Cthulhu said:

I've been trying to find info on whether or not the expansions will get a reprint/second edition treatment as well and this is about as close as I've come to a definitive answer. Any more information on this? Sources?

Yes, right here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=172&esem=1

You can also tell that they updated the artwork, most likely using some of the artwork used for the LCG and taking some of the visual flair from the HBO series.

I'm looking for this game for a long time!

It is out!

Coolstuffinc has it in stock..

i think this is the only store that has the game in stock so far. I hope that by the end of the next week we will have it!

happy.gif

A Game of Thrones is a strategy board game created by Christian T. Petersen and released by Fantasy Flight Games in 2003. The game is based on the A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series by George R. R. Martin. It was followed in 2004 by the expansion A Clash of Kings, and in 2006 by the expansion A Storm of Swords.

A Game of Thrones allows the players to take on the roles of several of the Great Houses vying for control of the Seven Kingdoms, including House Stark, House Lannister, House Baratheon, House Greyjoy, House Tyrell, and as of the expansion A Clash of Kings, House Martell. Players maneuver armies to secure support in the various regions that comprise the Seven Kingdoms, with the goal of capturing enough support to claim the Iron Throne.

In 2004 A Game of Thrones won the Origins Award for Best Traditional Board Game of 2003.