Actually a very accessible game: how to get an intermediate crowd confident in 30mins and 8 steps.

By Omnisiah, in Android

Hi Folks!

As I have the privelege of living in the great down-under, I've only just managed to get my hands on Android very recently. I've been DYING to get it, having read the rules many many times and being a huge fan of Kevin's previous work. We've now played several games.

This game has been a huge success at our end. I have several diverse gaming groups that I entertain with our rather expansive collection of games, so I deliberately acquire a range of game types to suit the gathering. Based on the rules and the other reviews, Android was firmly in the Hardcore/Pro gamer bin and I expected to play it only occasionally as a result. So far, this isn't the case at all. It is too much for the very casual crowd - those who want a card game over in 30mins - but it's actually fine for even intermediate level play. The hardest part is the rules briefing, but we seem to have that down. This is what I'd like to share with you today, because this little formula has contributed in no small part to its run-away success:

THIRTY-MINUTE FRESHMAN BRIEFING FOR NEW, INTERMEDIATE PLAYERS TO ANDROID:

Step One: Explain to everyone that they need to focus for the next 30mins or so as you explain it. Feel free to ask questions. Say that you will explain the FOUR COMPONENTS of the game - think of it like FOUR SEPARATE RULES BRIEFINGS . Then we'll all play one round to see how the four systems interact. Once everyone understands one mechanic, move onto the next, not worrying about the previous mechanic again until it's time to play a test round.

You're going to give very concise, cut-down simple explanation of each mechanic - aiming for 3-5 minutes per mechanic . You're going to fill in the fiddly bits after a single test turn at the end.

Step Two - FIVE MINUTES : Explain the 'Character Tackle Box' - all the mechanisms for the character system. This is a great intro as it is narrative focused and people get it. Explain the plot system like a pick-a-path. Actually unfold a plot in full in front of all the players. The hardest bit is explaining the Twilight cards: I find it's easier if you make it all 'Light energy' which you spend for good stuff . You recharge 'light energy' by playing other peeps cards . The whole 'Dark shift to play light, light shift to play dark' is actually very confusing for most. Don't explain the colour match with plot mechanic, leave that for step seven.

Also a good point to explain movement and the board + the time mechanic. Explain the beanstalk. Don't worry about restricted locations, warrants, dropship passes - leave that for step seven.

Step Three - FIVE MINUTES : Explain the 'Murder and Evidence' system - more complex, but again, people get it. Also where you explain that you are both a 'game master' and a 'character' - creating evidence rather than discovering it. Show a complete resolution of scoring for one witness , really quickly. Don't go into the reassigning leads step . Tell them that they ARE reassigned, but leave it until you play your first round. You DO need to exlain the Alibi, Surprise Witness and Purgury tokens - but leave these until LAST.

Step Four - FIVE MINUTES: Explain the 'Jigsaw conspiracy' . This is easy as hell: join the dots and play connect-five . Briefly explain the 'Digging deeper' mechanic, although frankly I think this entire mechanic shoud go out the window, as it's pretty pointless, costly and needlessly confusing.

Step Five - FIVE MINUTES : Explain the 'Favours = Currency' idea. Again, pretty easy. Don't go into examples of what you can buy, tell them that we'll see some examples once you play the first round.

Step Six - TEN MINUTES : Now, immediately play a complete round . As people go to perform one of the four key things, you can then explain any more specific ideas to them - colour matching to the plot card, discarding to reduce/increase shift costs, etc. The first time someone follows up a lead, you can quickly explain the reassigning leads system. This is the perfect time to explain the 'colours' and 'Quality' of locations system (I always explain that this is very easily confused with the favour colours and that the 'names' for location type are really only fluff. We could have just called them 'Red Triangle' rather than 'Residential Seedy', but 'narrative' and 'immersion' dictate otherwise ;)

Step Seven : reset the board and take a moment to explain any of the remaining little things: reporter, snitch, hits, warrants, jinteki/Haas tokens, restricted locations, dropship passes.

Step Eight: Ask for any final questions, then reassign hunches and reset the board. Play on!

This has worked very well so far in making what is undoubtedly the most complex game I own very accessible to most players. The key is to think of it like four separate mini-games until you start playing . Make sure the players get this idea as you start the briefing. Think of it like quarantining each concept in your head, ready to use when you get a turn. Once you are actually doing a little of each, it suddenly becomes clear how they interact. We had players scratching their heads at the end of Step Five, only to literally exclaim 'Aaaaaah! I get it now!' the moment they started moving around the board. The four systems are actually really easy to manage and really easy to manipulate once you are actually doing it - it's just very VERY hard to visualise beforehand.

Using this system, we played an extremely rewarding and very closely-matched game with a full complement of four first-timers (plus myself) over the course of four hours in an evening.

WHAT I RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT DO IS JUST DIVE IN!

I'm a big fan of the five minute synopsis and then 'learn by playing' technique, particularly for the non-hardcore crowd, but this game just DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT! If you try to do that, the first turn will just wind up being an explanation of everything we just covered, but with no structure and no real comprehension. Beg the indulgence of your audience, but you really must insist on a complete briefing and a thorough check of understanding before you begin play.

So there you go, that's my take on teaching your brand new super-shiny game to those who HAVEN'T been re-reading the manual for a month beforehand :) You may prefer another method, or you may play only with a hardcore crowd, in which case it probably doesn't need to be so cut down. But if you are gaming with a group who is going to find Android a bit of a challenge, I can recommend the above as the quickest way i've found to get into the action with a minimum of stress and confusion.

More posts in a sec on my thoughts on the game and the chars :)

Cheers,

Om

I should note, something which I didn't include in the above:

This assumes that YOU know what you are doing :) If you don't you should play a round or two out by yourself, or play a quick 2-player variant to get familiar.

unforetunatly, some games just need someone as the resident rules guru. This is one of them.

Thanks for sharing that, I'm hoping to get my gaming group to try this soon, but I have been hesitant because of the complexity. This seems like a well thought out plan though that should make it easier to get it all working.

Explaining games is an art in itself. it's good to see you taking it seriously. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys happy.gif Hope it helped you in some way.

Most of my friends enjoy picking it up as they go along. After a basic rundown, they're chomping at the bit to get started, even though they know they probably won't win.

But, a very good strategy. I will definitely use it with the more inquisitive ones.