Ludolf card thread, minus the lock.

By Supercollider, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

Nope, only by what I have read on forums since I bought the game.

It's the only point of reference and comparisson we have to go on.

please stop citing me saying its not over powered

why not give it a go for some playtest feedback?
Why not just play test a Ludwig, with no alteration other than to give it 11 dice against allied tanks rather than 7? It achieves the same test variables, and is exactly as pointless an exercise.

You quoted my question about it having no draw-backs, but didn't actually address what was in the quote. To reiterate my point, in question form:
The only disadvantage you have offered (that I can see), is that your unit cannot easily perform a shoot/shoot action, to re-roll its dice, the point of which is to increase the chances of a successful attack.

Your unit has nearly twice as many dice as the closest competition at no additional cost, and you think that's not a problem, so that would mean placing no value on an increased chance of success.

Please reconcile these two positions, and, if possible, offer a drawback to balance you giving your unit nearly twice the dice of its nearest competition at no additional points cost.

And finally: If you dont place any value on an increased chance of success of destroying one enemy tank, do you place any value on doubling the number of enemy tanks your unit can take out? Ludwig, Lothar, and Pounder can all kill one tank per round. Hot dog can kill two tanks per round, but they have to be adjacent to one another, and they have to be point blank to the Hotdog. Your Ludolf can kill two tanks at any range per round. How do you justify that, with no increase in points cost?

Steel Rain can kill 2 mechs a turn and costs less points.

Drawbacks, we covered its loss of manurvebility due to having to reload, it will also either have to load and not perform sustained fire.

It's disadvantaged because it now has a minimum range, so may not even be able to fire at its most dangerous close up enemy. A pounder is more effective overall against infantry especially against depeleted units. When you get BBQ squads heading you way, which I do often, you need to shoot them quick and close, can't do that with Ludolf.

Against tanks and assuming Ludolf is having to load, It will not fire at 2 tanks, it does not have enough dice to even get close to inflicting 8 wounds. 6 dice from an 88 will cause just 2 hits, the Neb a little less. Ludwigs 7 dice on sustained will cause pretty much the same on average, maybe a little more. So Luwig is in fact a little better than Ludolf when firing at mechs, and note, I have not taken into account my decision to make the Neb 4/1 instead of 5/1. And if combating mechs are close, its worse.

Common example, Ludwig and Ludolf sitting at the back of the board picking of mechs. Ludwig rolls 12 dice including re-rolls getting 4 hits. Ludolf gets 11 (now 10) Ludwig in the most common of situations (for my games anyway) is better than Ludolf.

So, mathamatically and theoretically in gaming situations (which is all you can do at this point) the Ludolf is not way overpowered for its cost. As I said, before, playtesting will tell. My criteria for determining whether a unit is broken is to design an army, if I (or friends) want to take multiples of a unit instead of a variety, then it is broken - I honestly don't think I would take more than 1 of these to a fight and Ludwig would still be my first choice due to the amount of dice it can reliably throw every turn.

Major Mishap said:

Common example, Ludwig and Ludolf sitting at the back of the board picking of mechs. Ludwig rolls 12 dice including re-rolls getting 4 hits. Ludolf gets 11 (now 10) Ludwig in the most common of situations (for my games anyway) is better than Ludolf.

Interesting how you give the Ludwig rerolls to get 12 dice but don't give these rerolls to the Ludolf in order to keep the example fair. If you had done that the Ludolf would have 22 dice (now 20) so a lot more.
Also yes the Ludolf has to reload one weapon but can still detroy a walker with the other weapon seeing that it has enough dice to do so.
Seeing that the Ludolf can destroy two walkers in a single turn it most likely will be safe to reload the next turn and can still shoot if needed or walk to a better shooting position and reload.

1 I didn't make this model so its not my fault it's OP. It's in no way official.

2 We've given you reasons why we made the dice so much and justified it with other reasoning. With the regular 17pdr being less effective as the 8.8cm. There shouldn't be half it would be like akimbo weapons. How accurate are they

3 Not saying you role good in the first place but statistically you should only hit 2 out of 6 time per dice. So you should only get like 7 hits. Not including the randomness factor of dice.

We are looking at it this way turn 2 you fire all your weapons prob not sustain due to it prob being behind cover. Turn 3 you reload and fire not sustain. Turn 4 reload and maybe fire or hold off to either sustain or artillery strike. and these combinations are pulled off. So at the end of the game if it survives all the way through and has a clear shot every turn you could roll 99 dice, starting on turn 1 in an 8 round game. Chances of that happening are slim. It still can be taken out by anything else super easily, so it makes it super risky. Also the stats sucks for close up so if someone can get close enough to shoot it'll be only using the 8.8cm and the MG and rolling 7 dice.

I don't see what your problem is.

FlorisH said:

Major Mishap said:

Interesting how you give the Ludwig rerolls to get 12 dice but don't give these rerolls to the Ludolf in order to keep the example fair. If you had done that the Ludolf would have 22 dice (now 20) so a lot more.
Also yes the Ludolf has to reload one weapon but can still detroy a walker with the other weapon seeing that it has enough dice to do so.
Seeing that the Ludolf can destroy two walkers in a single turn it most likely will be safe to reload the next turn and can still shoot if needed or walk to a better shooting position and reload.

I've given the example as what happens in a game due to experience with reload mechs, having to reload will generally mean that the Ludolf will not get sustained fire, hence on average a Ludwig will roll more dice over the courese of a game.

And no, it does not have enough dice to take on 2 walkers in a single turn, you stand next to zero chance with a 4 dice attack from its Neb, not really going to happen on siustained either.

I've given what you asked for, reasoning, math and facts. I don't know what else you want, it's not like you have to play with the rules.

Played two games tonight and Ludolf was no better or worse than any other mech, I could never get a sustain shot in either game and on one opening salvo caused 2 hits om a BBQ squad and 1 on a Pounder. There were times that I wished I had a Ludwig instead but on one occaision I did throw my opponant with an indirect shot on his command group( the first ever indirect shot we have done :) ) only caused 1 hit. I am happy with the result and card, Ludolf would be my third choice mech.