Core Game and Expansions Question...

By Soulbearer73, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Hello Everyone,

I got the core game and it is easy enough to learn to play, I think the hardest learning curve is possibly deck building. Like if you mix and match different factions you have to decide if you're going to play with hero or villains. Other than that it's fairly easy to learn.

I have a question concerning expansions. If I wanted to buy expansions, since the game has been out for a bit is there any particular expansions veteran players would suggest over others to start buying?

Thanks

I'm no veteran, but I would advise seriously considering the Order of the Silver Twilight expansion, as it introduces the eighth faction and contains numerous useful cards for that faction in triplicate, making the Silver Twilight perhaps the easiest faction to grow into the game with. After you've picked up some of the newer Asylum Packs, your collection will slowly fill up the gaps in your other factions.

Also, if you're willing to make the investment, the Core Sets have a lot of cards that you really want 2x or 3x of. It's distasteful since this is supposed to be a cheap game to play, but worth it if you aim to play competitively.

I'd actually advise the opposite: So far, Silver Twilight cannot carry its own as a faction. It's only really useful as a secondary faction. Also, it's basically a combo-faction which will be tricky for a beginning player to use effectively.

So, I'd recommend to first get the cards from the Yuggoth contract AP cycle: It has some very powerful cards, and it was the first AP with 3 copies of every card. I'd also recommend to get the 'Secrets of Arkham' Deluxe Expansion which complements each of the original seven factions nicely.

Thanks to both of you for the advice so far. If anyone else wants to keep plugging out ideas and why, that would be great. I am still undecided at this point as I am trying to really get used to the game and the rules well.

I'd go with Order of the Silver Twilight myself. It is not a fully playable faction at this moment if you have the full card pool available to you, but if the Core Set is your first purchase, those decks are really not that different... and that is more or less the point of the set, to introduce them in the equivalent of a Core Set deck.

Going forward I would buy the Rituals of the Order Asylum Pack cycle, and just pick up the individual packs from the older sets as they benefit your specific decks.

If I was looking for a first expansion to get after the core set, I'd say Secrets of Arkham, because it adds more cards to the factions in the core set, making each factions card pool larger.

The newer expansion, Order of the Silver Twilight, is definitely one you'd wanna pick up. From now on, its a good chance that APs are gonna have cards for this faction, and it would take a really long time to collect enough cards to make a deck if you don't get that expansion.

As for APs, I'd agree with whats been suggested. Start with the current ones and work your way back as the APs are reprinted in the new format (three of each card).