1 set decks?

By Boreas3, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

Probably not going to be playing in tournaments or competitions... mostly just friends who enjoy screwing around. All I have to work with is the Core Set and current chapter packs. Wondering how I should go about keeping each of the decks balanced. With just the 4 starter decks from the Core Set, we've been blind drawing to see who plays which house, and basically dealing out 7 plots to each player (with the exception of 'house only'). Makes for interesting games right now, but with the chapter packs I don't want someone getting an 'I win' deck just cause I was unable to set it up properly.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Let´s start with this statement "the Core Set decks are unbalanced". Of course they have some sort of balance, but they are not near 90% balanced right out of the box. So you can´t do too much harm to the balance of the decks by changing a few cards. ;-)

All the chapter packs offer a relative equal enhancement for the houses, e.g. the war of the five kings chapter pack includes one big army charachter for every house, the ancient enemies chapter pack has a house specific plot for every house etc. You can find a list of the chapter pack contents here: www.tzumainn.com/agot/cards/

If you find any specific house to strong after some deckbuilding, i would just go back to the orginal CS deck and make some other changes or try to find out which specifics card make the deck over the top and drop them from the deck or add some more firepower to the other 3 decks - if that´s possible.

The only things i would avoid wouldn't make a deck too strong, but just wouldn't fit, i.e. A stark summer deck.

Also, with the small size of the core set decks you can add quite a bit to them without having to worry.

Hello

I know that www.tzumainn.com will show me the content of each chapter packs. but is there any way (besides buying one) to find out the quantiites of individual cards inside the chapter packs?

Kheiron said:

I know that www.tzumainn.com will show me the content of each chapter packs. but is there any way (besides buying one) to find out the quantiites of individual cards inside the chapter packs?

new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

I play in a similar environment (4 friends, 1 core set, 1 of each of the CPs), but we chose houses in the beginning, built out decks from there, and have stuck with them since. We *only* play melee and I find that if anyone's deck is feeling overpowered, politicking and spreading hate propaganda against said deck's player is your best weapon. At one point the Lannister player had won four games in a row, all with Jaquen, and the rest of us were screaming overpowered. Since then, the player-hating has been extremely focused against the Lannister player and he hasn't won since.

If you play melee exclusively, I feel that it's really difficult to have an 'overpowered' deck, because if your opponents catch on it will soon become a 3v1 situation.

pchigglez said:

At one point the Lannister player had won four games in a row, all with Jaquen, and the rest of us were screaming overpowered.

Well it may be of worth noting to your group, that Jaqen has in fact been banned from official play as per the most recent FAQs.

Oooh. That even makes the victories that much sweeter. I'm sure our biggest Lannister fan will be disappointed when I break the news to him.

pchigglez said:

Oooh. That even makes the victories that much sweeter. I'm sure our biggest Lannister fan will be disappointed when I break the news to him.

LOL of course.