Question on Cooperative type Games

By Bomb, in Elder Sign

I love competitive multiplayer games, but have not played anything cooperative in a really long time(if ever).

I understand that this game is a race against the clock, but who wins if you beat the clock? Everyone that played?

I am trying to figure out if a game like this would cater to my gaming group of friends, whom of which I play A Game of Thrones the Boardgame, the LCG, Munchkin(all types of themes), and Munchkin Quest with. Each of these games has one winner as we are all against each other(and in some cases co-winners).

I do greatly enjoy the theme and the spirit of the game as far as the description goes, but am not sure how satisfying it is to beat a game(other than a video game) where you against a board or a deck of cards and not against another human being.

Do any of you have any advice on this?

Thank you in advance and I appreciate any comments!

For me the satisfaction isn't in winning but playing. The only cooperative game I've played is Arkham Horror, mostly with my GF, and it's the only board game we play regularly. Winning is good but dealing with all the stuff that happens and figuring out what to do next is the fun part. YMMV.

It really does depend what your gaming group likes. If they like the competition against each other then co-op games may well not be for them. For my gaming group they prefer the co-op games as it means less stress and friendlier games. Also there's a great sense of satisfaction in working together to beat the board. Particularly if it's been a hard won game. Or even if we lose then we can all commiserate each other and ***** about the game :D

My gaming group also enjoy playing against the Game rather than face to face competition,which considering we're an old bunch of hex & counter war gamers is rather odd sorpresa.gif .I guess we've mellowed over the years.

OD

The key to enjoying a cooperative is in making sure it does not turn into one player just telling everyone else what to do.

If you can get past that, they are great . Let everyone make their mistakes, it's part of the fun. Nothing wrong with making a suggestion but ultimately you have to let everyone make their own choices and live with it as a group.

I don't quite get it when there are people who are down on co-ops. OK sure, we all have our preferences, but I often hear from those who don't like co-ops that they need ONE winner. Really? I have to wonder if these same people have any interest in team sports at all. I'm no sports nut by a long shot, but I do watch games every now and then and I really appreciate good teamwork. And I like some co-ops too. Why just some? Because to me, it's not a co-op just because you're all on the same team and you're trying to win. You need a way to COOPERATE. FFG has made a few co-ops and I think they GET that. happy.gif