Dice pool?

By Batei, in Gears of War: The Board Game

After reading the latest announcement that included the +2 card where you add extra red dice to the opponents attack dice made me think of WFRP 3rd edition. Does anyone know if this game is going to have a dice pool mechanic like WFRP? That is one of the things I actually like about 3rd edition.

GrumpyBatman said:

After reading the latest announcement that included the +2 card where you add extra red dice to the opponents attack dice made me think of WFRP 3rd edition. Does anyone know if this game is going to have a dice pool mechanic like WFRP? That is one of the things I actually like about 3rd edition.

How does the dice pool in WFRP work?

Bleached Lizard said:

I'm not sure, but apparently in Gears, having more dice is a BAD thing, which strikes me as a bit curious. Now I'm intrigued to see how it all fits together.

I have to say I'm impressed with the variety of options each order card provides. The card-as-health thing still feels a bit odd, but I'm definitely looking forward to the game.

I believe this game only has two kinds of dice, attack and defense dice, so I doubt it will work like whfrp's dice pools. Although a board game that used dice pools similar to whfrp could be really cool. That was one of the things I really like about whfrp 3rd edition too.

Bleached Lizard said:

GrumpyBatman said:

I do not want to pretend I understand how the dice pool works in WFRP, so take what I say with a grain of salt. The dice pool basically represents many different facets of a situation that could present a chance occurence or dictate an outcome based on manipulated chance. Yes, that is kind of wordy and would make a politician blush. gran_risa.gif More dice and less dice are not necessarily bad or good. More good dice are good, more bad dice are bad. If you character has beneficial abilities, more good dice can be added to your pool when you roll to check success on something. And, the GM might throw in some dice with only bad possibilities on the faces if there are circumstances that might cause you to fail... like jumping over a pool of crocodiles with a frayed rope. I wish I could explain it better, you really should give WFRP 3rd a try to see how the dice pool works. It is a pretty neat system.