Custom Scenarios

By JetRaptors, in Fan Creations

I may have missed it somewhere, but I found a surprising lack of custom scenarios for the original game content. There were quite a few I saw in the Arkham Horror league and such, but even those were few and far between. So I figured why the hell not make a new thread for it. I just hope I didn't completely overlook an existing thread...

Also to kick things off, here's one I came up with

The-Dunwich-Horror-Front-Face.png

JetRaptors said:

I may have missed it somewhere, but I found a surprising lack of custom scenarios for the original game content. There were quite a few I saw in the Arkham Horror league and such, but even those were few and far between. So I figured why the hell not make a new thread for it. I just hope I didn't completely overlook an existing thread...

I think this looks like an interesting scenario. You should consider using a "large format" for your scenario. It is really close to the short story. Have you play-test it yet ?

If you like this kind of games (i.e. story oriented), I would recommend you to have a look at the Arkham investigations which bring them at their best.

Typically AH scenarios tend to leave the game more open than this kind of story oriented ones. But that is no excuse to not have some linear story oriented ones. Anyway, I'd be happy to test it (after you did :-).

There is also Mansions of Madness, that is also linear and story oriented and you may enjoyed :-).

My taste goes for stories too. But I think we still need to work out non-linear stories. That is why I am working on merging AH, MoM and Arkham Investigations.

amikezor said:

My taste goes for stories too. But I think we still need to work out non-linear stories. That is why I am working on merging AH, MoM and Arkham Investigations.

Arf... can't wait to see what's coming ::nodding seriously::

Avi_dreader said:

My scenarios are posted on a separate site, although Julia's making visual representations of them that she's keeping in a thread.

Julia needs to come back to this, but it's quite desperate for the lacking of time. And now this week seems to be even worse than the previous one :-//

Julia said:

Avi_dreader said:

My scenarios are posted on a separate site, although Julia's making visual representations of them that she's keeping in a thread.

Julia needs to come back to this, but it's quite desperate for the lacking of time. And now this week seems to be even worse than the previous one :-//

Hee hee hee... No worries. No rush.

JetRaptors said:

Also to kick things off, here's one I came up with

The-Dunwich-Horror-Front-Face.png

Innsmouth Rescue, a one-player scenario that plays out (somewhat) like the beginning of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. You need to rescue your colleague imprisoned in Innsmouth, then get enough evidence for the Feds to raid Innsmouth before Cthulhu awakens.

InnsmouthRescue.jpg

I guess you could also add Star Spawn to the list of monsters since they sort of look like the creatures encountered in DCotE.

jeremyj621 said:

Innsmouth Rescue, a one-player scenario that plays out (somewhat) like the beginning of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. You need to rescue your colleague imprisoned in Innsmouth, then get enough evidence for the Feds to raid Innsmouth before Cthulhu awakens.

InnsmouthRescue.jpg

I guess you could also add Star Spawn to the list of monsters since they sort of look like the creatures encountered in DCotE.

Interesting concept... I would add that investigators start with zero clue tokens, or state that clue tokens investigators start with can not be added to the feds raid arkham track.

Also, you need to state that doom tokens are added even when gates do not appear (that was your intent, right?)

yes neat idea. It begs for play test. Did you ?

Avi_dreader said:

jeremyj621 said:

InnsmouthRescue.jpg

Interesting concept... I would add that investigators start with zero clue tokens, or state that clue tokens investigators start with can not be added to the feds raid arkham track.

Also, you need to state that doom tokens are added even when gates do not appear (that was your intent, right?)

Yeah, clue tokens still appear since the other aspects of Mythos Cards still apply even though gates aren't used. I like your suggestion about investigators starting with no clue tokens. That adds a little more difficulty to the game.

amikezor said:

yes neat idea. It begs for play test. Did you ?

I tried two different approaches when I play tested: 1) Head straight to Innsmouth to free the second investigator before collecting clue tokens, and 2) Have the first investigator spend the first few turns collecting clue tokens before rescuing the second investigator.

The second approach is the easiest way, but both approaches still have the potential of having Cthulhu awaken or having the investigators devoured being defeated by monsters or through encounters. I had two previous drafts of this scenario before settling on the final draft which I posted here due to play testing.

Two new scenarios created by yours truly:

VisitorsfromtheStars.jpg

UnstableGround.jpg

Too much text. Too tired. Will read tomorrow ;'D
ZZZZ...

these are not trylu scenarios but heralds that boost monsters, right ? Actually those monsters already have heralds. I can suggest 2 readings. yours are different sure but you may want to know these ones too.

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy72/amikezor/Arkham/ColourOutOfSpace-Herald.jpg

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt307/avi_dreader/TheGreatDarkWorm.jpg

by the way, Avi, after several games with your herald, I found that we do not see much the cthonians/lloigors on the board. maybe add one with some trigger (terror ?).

amikezor said:

these are not trylu scenarios but heralds that boost monsters, right ? Actually those monsters already have heralds. I can suggest 2 readings. yours are different sure but you may want to know these ones too.

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy72/amikezor/Arkham/ColourOutOfSpace-Herald.jpg

by the way, Avi, after several games with your herald, I found that we do not see much the cthonians/lloigors on the board. maybe add one with some trigger (terror ?).

Yeah, I know. The herald doesn't get the Cthonians & Lloigors into play much. Hence scenario nine... It's not really intended to turn the game into a Cthonian/Lloigor fest.

I think I might want to see if there's enough text on the card to add that whenever a City of the Great Race comes into play put a Cthonian or Lloigor on it, in addition to its regular monster. And a terror trigger's a good idea too. Perhaps I'll add both.

Also, feel free to incorporate as much of scenario nine as you'd like to your games against that herald. Just the cultist rules would spice it up a great deal. But you can include all of them. The scenarios were intended to be decontextualized from the league and played on their own with whichever investigators you like.

http://arkhamleague.blogspot.com/2011/03/scenario-nine.html

VisitorsfromtheStars.jpg

I think Drained of Colour is going to activate too frequently. Even if it doesn't break the terror track (and it may if you get unlucky draws). I don't know. Maybe it'll work. At 33% chances, it's okay, the problem is those odds will fluxuate... And if it only bumps up to 50% it's still going to be way too brutal. Maybe. Maybe not. You might want to play test it a bit. I guess the one thing I don't like about it, is it sort of makes your victories dependent on luck of the mythos draw (or not having unluck).

More importantly, the Brood Token mechanism is going to severely mess up your teams. Not sure how badly, but it may be problematic.

It's difficult for me to calculate the results of these things in my head because they're such drastic departures from the game's normal mechanisms. Which may be a good thing. But you should definitely play around with this to make sure it's as you want it to be.

UnstableGround.jpg

The awakening rules are waaay too weak (because that extra doom token will be knocked off in the first attack anyway, it's just not going to significantly effect the outcome of the battle). Either don't include them at all, or make it three extra doom tokens per Dhole and Cthonian (minimum two, but I'd say three since it's unlikely that there'll be more than one of them on the board).

Consider making Dhole a stalker? And having the drawing of the Dhole or Cthonian done at random?

I think the Cthonians are going to wreak *way* too much havoc on the terror level though. This one I'm fairly confident about. Imagine the terror going up by two every third turn... Yeah... Not going to work. And that's not even accounting for statistical fluxuations. You need to redesign that part so it raises the terror slightly more slowly (make it so that it's When a Cthonian moves on a roll of 3-6 or 4-6, otherwise you're going to have major problems, I think).

amikezor said:

In a way, these scenarios act like heralds. However, since they can only be used with specific Ancient Ones, and other heralds/guardians can be used with them (except for Visitors from the Stars...Ghroth must be used as the herald for that scenario), they are technically scenarios, not heralds. The heralds in the links you provided are interesting, in some ways accomplishing the same things as the scenarios I created but with several differences as well. It's interesting how Ancient One and monster special abilities can be applied by different players.

Avi_dreader said:

VisitorsfromtheStars.jpg

I think Drained of Colour is going to activate too frequently. Even if it doesn't break the terror track (and it may if you get unlucky draws). I don't know. Maybe it'll work. At 33% chances, it's okay, the problem is those odds will fluxuate... And if it only bumps up to 50% it's still going to be way too brutal. Maybe. Maybe not. You might want to play test it a bit. I guess the one thing I don't like about it, is it sort of makes your victories dependent on luck of the mythos draw (or not having unluck).

More importantly, the Brood Token mechanism is going to severely mess up your teams. Not sure how badly, but it may be problematic.

It's difficult for me to calculate the results of these things in my head because they're such drastic departures from the game's normal mechanisms. Which may be a good thing. But you should definitely play around with this to make sure it's as you want it to be.

UnstableGround.jpg

The awakening rules are waaay too weak (because that extra doom token will be knocked off in the first attack anyway, it's just not going to significantly effect the outcome of the battle). Either don't include them at all, or make it three extra doom tokens per Dhole and Cthonian (minimum two, but I'd say three since it's unlikely that there'll be more than one of them on the board).

Consider making Dhole a stalker? And having the drawing of the Dhole or Cthonian done at random?

I think the Cthonians are going to wreak *way* too much havoc on the terror level though. This one I'm fairly confident about. Imagine the terror going up by two every third turn... Yeah... Not going to work. And that's not even accounting for statistical fluxuations. You need to redesign that part so it raises the terror slightly more slowly (make it so that it's When a Cthonian moves on a roll of 3-6 or 4-6, otherwise you're going to have major problems, I think).

When I playtested Visitors from the Stars, I did notice that the Drained of Colour ability activates frequently and two investigators were devoured (out of four players) before Cthugha awakened. It's a challenging scenario...that's the way I wanted it to be. The best strategy? Focus on getting the Colours Out of Space off the board before closing any open gates (since they're only placed when a new gate opens). It's doable, but difficult.

As for Unstable Ground, it's actually more difficult to keep the Cthonians and Dhole off the board than you think since they are placed when a new gate opens, or when there is a monster surge. If both Cthonians and the Dhole are on the board when Shudde M'ell awakens, three extra doom tokens are placed on his sheet and clue tokens cannot be spent until they are removed. Shudde M'ell is one of the weaker Ancient Ones and is easily defeated (and still is with this scenario), but I wanted to make the final battle with him last at least a little longer than normal. I do agree with your suggestion about the Terror Level, though. Perhaps it should only increase on a roll of 4-6 when a cthonian moves. The only reason I used 2-6 is because they do their damage on a roll of 2-6 when Shudde M'ell is the AO; so they do their damage on a roll of 2-6, and the Terror Level goes up by 1 on a roll of 4-6...that might work better (a higher roll means a stronger earthquake).

Visitors from the Stars, revised:

I made the scenario a little less lethal than my original version. It should still be challenging though.

Visitors-from-the-Stars-Front-Face.png

Sightseeing-Front-Face.jpg

As its name implies, Sightseeing allows players to focus more on becoming familiar with encounters at the various locations rather than having to worry about closing gates or dealing with monsters. Ideal for beginning players or anyone who just wants to enjoy the encounters without the pressures of the other game aspects. Once monsters or gates appear on the Arkham board as the result of a Mythos card's special effects, players can deal with them or just let them be and let the game run as normal from that point on.

jeremyj621 said:

Sightseeing-Front-Face.jpg

As its name implies, Sightseeing allows players to focus more on becoming familiar with encounters at the various locations rather than having to worry about closing gates or dealing with monsters. Ideal for beginning players or anyone who just wants to enjoy the encounters without the pressures of the other game aspects. Once monsters or gates appear on the Arkham board as the result of a Mythos card's special effects, players can deal with them or just let them be and let the game run as normal from that point on.

The-Dunwich-Horror-Front-Face.jpg

The reason I came up with a Dunwich Horror scenario is that under the normal ruies, it's EXTREMELY EASY to keep the Dunwich Horror from appearing on the board, even when using the Herald. I wanted a scenario that makes it more likely that the Dunwich Horror will appear and impact the game and that plays out somewhat like the Lovecraft story. Since FFG didn't include Wilbur Whateley in the game (and the Setup mentions him), here he is:

Wilbur-Whateley.jpg

The image is by John L. Cherevka (I have seen the same image on various web sites credited to different artists, but the original image has John's signature on it...even the ones posted by those other artists! If I were John, I'd be cracking down on those guys taking credit for work that isn't theirs). Wilbur can be used outside this scenario as well, but you must be playing with the Dunwich board to use him.

Won't Sentinel Hill *always* be closer for Wilbur?