Is it weird to be incredibly excited for this game?

By Umboito, in Gears of War: The Board Game

Because I am. Something about it just seems like it is going to be great, and I can tell you I am not the biggest fan of the game series. The idea that it is everyone versus the game intrigues me, I think. I can't think of another board game where all the players are working together for a common goal, though I am relatively new to "real" board games so feel free to tell me about others :) !

umboito said:

Because I am. Something about it just seems like it is going to be great, and I can tell you I am not the biggest fan of the game series. The idea that it is everyone versus the game intrigues me, I think. I can't think of another board game where all the players are working together for a common goal, though I am relatively new to "real" board games so feel free to tell me about others :) !

First of all, it's not weird at all to be excited for this game. It looks like it will be amazing, regardless of your feeling towards the video games.

Secondly, as regards the co-op nature of the game, it certainly isn't the only one. I personally find that co-op games in general are very exciting (I'm not that competitive as a rule, so games where my friends and I can cooperate instead of fight each other are always welcome.) They do, however, have one significant drawback - that being that once the players learn how to handle the board game's AI, they usually get a lot easier to beat, and become less entertaining as a result. Short of expansions adding new material, the game can't adapt or learn the way the players can, so it's ability to challenge us is limited.

As far as other games that use the mechanic, the most recent D&D board games (Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon) seem to have the same basic principle and they are available now, if you wanted to check out the idea in more detail. Those two games are very simplistic in terms of game play - I'm hoping Gears will be a bit meatier - but they should give you an idea of what to expect.

Other co-op games (from FFG) include Arkham Horror and Death Angel. I don't know how similar their mechanics will be to Gears (Arkham isn't the same dungeon crawl style and Death Angel is a more abstract card game concept) but they're both co-op and both entertaining games in their own right.

welcome to the Real Board Gamer's life =)

Thanks for the information! I was looking into Arkham Horror as well, it seems to be universally loved :) . Death Angel would be good for my group, too, we are all WH40k fans. Good to know.

Yeah I'm definitely super excited for this game as well. It's nice to have a game that can interest my playing group as well (we all love the GoW video game series). Also, to have a serious board game dedicated to the game is pretty awesome indeed. Arkham Horror was overall pretty fun, but the rule book was a nightmare and we always had to house rule things. I'm hoping for a smoother ride with Gears overall so that way we can enjoy a nice in-depth game without having to constantly check things in the rules.

After the latest news article about the order cards I am also incredibly excited about this game. gran_risa.gif

To sum it up: AUTOBUY. :)

i dont think its weird, or i am weird to. i saw this announced and without reading any further it made my must have wishlist on BGG. cant wait.

Yes, you are weird, but I am weird as well, and it looks like its going to be a good game so I will enjoy being weird and playing it.