A quick question

By Mattr0polis, in Warrior Knights

Hello,

I own this game but I have never found the time to play it. I'm curious, about how long does it take to play? I don't really trust the estimated time listed on BGG and other places as they are always short.

This game intrigued me because it seemed like a medieval themed Twilight Imperium (with the politics/voting, etc) that maybe could be played in less than 14 hours (the amount of time our last game of Twilight Imperium took us).

Also, is this game pretty fun? Right now my new favorite board game is Battlestar Galactica, which I don't think anything will be as fun as that (imo), but I am always still curious to try out new games to see.

Thx.

Like all games, it depends on the players and their AP, but I would say around 3 hours for 4 players, but it's a game that can take longer if your add more influence to spice things up (and I recomend adding more influence, and in that case it goes to 4h or more depending on the rules your playing with). As for fun, well I like the game but it's not the kind of game we laugh about it when we remember the plays, not like others, it's more entertaining than fun.

How about a first game? Does it flow after the first turn or two, or should one expect it to be significantly longer?

Like all games I know, it becomes faster as you know the rules, and as the number of actions you can performe is always the same (it doesn't add up during the game, you just gain city and bigger armies but the turns doesn't become larger), I don't see any reason to the turns becoming longer except for the slow players who like to think over every single possibility.

Wow, so we FINALLY played this last night and wow was it cool! It's pretty much exactly what I thought it would be, which is an improved in every way Twilight Imperium game. It's like Twilight only play moves much faster, you have more control over your actions, it doesn't take 14 hours to play and it doesn't take multiple hours before you can even reach other players to battle. Not that I hate Twilight Imperium, I actually really like that game, but Warrior Knights seems to be a lot of the same game mechanics and resource management, only much improved on almost every aspect. Very cool.