CoC compared to other LCG's?

By Soulbearer73, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

I am looking for someone who can compare their experience with CoC to other LCGs and how they rank this game on learning curve, playability and fun factor.

I personally have and play Warhammer Invasion LCG and Lord of the Rings LCG and I am caught between which one to get next. I keep reading good things on A Game of Thrones, but CoC looks so cool. Anyway if anyone can help that would be great!

I actually don't know how to answer your question, but didn't want you to feel ignored.

I've not played Game of Thrones, but have played the other 3. Lord of the Rings is very different in virtually every respect, so I don't know how to compare it to Warhammer Invasion or Call of Cthulhu.

Comparing Warhammer with Cthulhu, I find Cthulhu to be more fun for me - I like the theme much better and I think the meta-game is more open at this point in time. I'm far from an expert at Warhammer, but in my limited experience it seems to be a much more "agro" favored game that Cthluhu. I feel like Call of Cthulhu requires more careful thought about each play (and when not to play).

My totally subjective opinion would say that CoC and aGoT are equally good, though they play a bif different. WH:I is the one LCG I like the least from the competitive ones.

It's hard to compare CoC & aGoT but I'll try it. Keep in mind, that's really just my point of view.

CoC:

Healthy cardpool, great deckbuilding options (you can mix all factions), very good resourcing system, currently a good balance between the factions, a game takes about 10-30 minutes, really interesting setting, a good bit of tactical options, mature community.

aGoT:

Healthy cardpool, good deckbuilding (though mostly mono faction decks), good faction balance, a game takes about 20-60 minutes, great multiplayer, more tactical & strategic than CoC though it plays a bit slower, also a great community.

Ok thanks, I may try CoC next because its more in line with the types of games my daughters like to play. They like Clue, Clue Museum and Dungeons and Dragons Clue, and we just bought the Harry Potter Clue for her birthday. But I wanted a game of similar type but more mature in nature and more re-playability whereas Clue over and over again gets boring. I feel like C.o.C. will have a lot more to do and will have more of a story than us roleplaying our characters which is how we play the clue games LOL.

We like Warhammer because it reminds us of Magic the Gathering but more involved with a different type of added strategy with the idea of protecting your home base rather than yourself.

We love Lord of the Rings because of its co-working type of structure and of course I mean hey it's Lord of the Rings LOL.

So it looks like between AGoT and CoC I will buy CoC and let my daughters begin to explore and more mature and complex type of game in the line of Clue type stuff. Let me know though if I totally miss the point of CoC. I know it's story based but that's about it.

Also my daughters are 12 and 13, so I assume they could pick this up fine.

Well, I wouldn't put it in the same category as Clue, personally. The "story" part is not as direct as you seem to think. Basically each player puts together (through resource allocation) a team of characters. Then you can send the characters to one or more of the "stories" to try to gain success tokens at those stories. If a story is won (5 success tokens), then the winner can choose to do what the story says.

So although it is about investigating stories, it is not about story-telling.

But it is still a great game, and does give a more complex and engaging experience than Clue or its variants.

All three games you mentioned are excellent in their own way.

Ive played the three LCGs you've mentioned, and I think CoC is the hardest to see the stratagy. Its more subtle then the other games. I've heard newer players somethings say "oh, all you do is add up character stats to see who wins?" but theres more to the game then just that, and you don't see that until you've played it a few times and seen a variety of the cards.

Each game is good in it's own way. Call of Cthulhu is my favourite, and I do think it is the best of them all.

Warhammer: Invasion is perhaps easier to learn but I don't think the game is as much fun.

Game of Thrones is ok but I find it falls short because, in my experience, if you are winning you will get jumped by everyone else and if you're losing you are just playing kingmaker.

With CoC it may take time to get your head around the rules and deck building to start with but the playability is better and it gives a more enjoyable game than either W:I or GoT.

A Game of Thrones is by far the more rich experience, and requires more strategy and long range planning. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 16. It is easy to get frustrated with it, particularly if you aren't good with social wheeling and dealing necessary for melee (pulti-player).

Call of Cthulhu is probably the best because it is second best in everything. What I mean is that it requires more planning than Warhammer, but less than AGoT. It is not as aggressive as Warhammer, but more so than AGoT. It gives an immersive experience without having to take forever. ETc. etc.

If I had to recommend one of them for you and your daughters it would be CoC.

I would recommend Thrones if you're a big fan of the novels. If not, either one is a good buy. I really love both games.