The Game and what to expect?

By Soulbearer73, in A Game of Thrones LCG

Hello AGoT's players,

I have some friends and we've played Warhammer Invasion and The Lord of the Rings LCG. I was talking to them about the 2 I have yet to play and one of those being AGoT and how it appears that out of the two AGoT is one of the best of the 4 LCG that FFG has released. I was planning on maybe picking it up next.

One friend said that she did not want to play AGoT because the cards etc would have spoilers that would ruin the HBO show for them if they played it. I was wondering if this would be the case? For instance you might find out that a certain character is a traitor or someone dies by the art and or comments on the card. I know HBO may take liberties and change some things for the sake of story telling etc.

I personally have no interest in following the show until the first season is complete and on Netflix or something. I also could care less if it has a spoiler or not. Anyway if someone could answer that question for me it would be appreciated.

There's not many real spoilers in the game, but there are some. They can come in the form of cards as a whole, traits, art (possibly, can't think of an example right now) and flavor text on the cards. Some are pretty straight forward, others require some connecting of dots. If you are not familiar with the books at all, then there'll already be some spoilers in the Core Set. But A Game of Thrones LCG is a fun game indeed. If your friend feels really strongly about possible spoilers, then you have two possibilities: Not play the game or find a way to pick out the spoiler-ish cards and only play with the spoiler-free cards. Like I said, it's really a handful of cards that contain proper spoilers. If you know somebody who's a fan of the books, they should be able to pick them out for you, or perhaps you can find someone on the forums here to provide you with a list.

Ok thanks for the advice, knowing them this will probably be a game that I will play with my kids who understand how to play other LCGs etc. I may just play it and then let decided if they want to take the plunge for the fun factor and not worry about possible spoilers lol. Thanks for answering I appreciate it.

IraShaine1972 said:

Given that the books and the show will take years to complete and you like it now but want to avoid spoilers either dont get involved or just go out and read the books or the fairly thourough overview on wikipedia of the story because you will definetly get spoilers. The stories are that well read at this point and likely to get more so in coming months. It will be like not wanting to know if the one rings gets destroyed or not. Seriously.

***ED: SPOILER ALERT***

Dont get to attached to Ned. Because he doesnt stay to attached to something that ryhmes with ned.

***ED: SPOILER ALERT***

I already knew that, but I think that for anyone asking about spoilers, to put one (and yes I know you were trying to be clever and hide it with a bad joke, but it's so obvious what you mean that I don't see the point in pretending) in the thread like that is just rude and down right cruel. Especially one of that big a deal.

Saturnine said:

art (possibly, can't think of an example right now)

Amusingly enough, 'Make an Example' is an example...

In the core set there isn't many spoilers and those that are you'd need to have good observational skills to spot. The picture on the Stannis Baratheon card for example could be a spoiler but you probably wouldnt notice mid game.

/rant

I have no sympathy for those who only watch HBO to discover the mysteries of Westeros. It is my firm opinion, that TV viewers lose rights to avoid spoilers when the books have been out for over a decade. Moreover not merely out and published but celebrated as the greatest fantasy since Tolkien.

Read More, Watch less.

/rant

That being said, none of the cards really give away the plot.