So, you wanna play a Nurgler?

By Lord Ork, in Black Crusade

Gillam Harrow said:

SlimeTheGreat said:

Yeah, Mutants are typically the purview of Tzeench,

I think it's quite clear that all Chaos provoke mutations. In BC we will see mutations specific to each Chaos god.

You seem awfully certain there - just wondering why you think that there will be god specific mutations? Typically, in the past, it's appeared as though many of the Chaos Gods give from the same big mutation bucket (tentacles, claws, wings, other animal parts, psychic powers, etc).

MILLANDSON said:

You seem awfully certain there - just wondering why you think that there will be god specific mutations? Typically, in the past, it's appeared as though many of the Chaos Gods give from the same big mutation bucket (tentacles, claws, wings, other animal parts, psychic powers, etc).

I belive it was said in a podcast, might also be somewhere on the site.

Anyway, the way I remember it was that: Lets say you get a mutation "Extra Limb". Depending on which god you are aligned to, the limb will have bonus effects.

Khorne: Tearing, extra damage. An extra arm covered in blades and spikes.

Slaanesh: Fexible. A whip like arm, usable up to 3m.

Eeeh... those where the two gods I remember seeing/hearing mentioned.

Thinking about it, I do belive it was a podcast, I'll see if I can find it again.

Found it, at worlds end radio.

www.worldsendradio.com/wp-content/uploads/WorldsEnd_Ep56.mp3

You can right-click and download it if you want, or just left click and listen to it. I dont remember exactly when they start talking about BC, but its somewhere in there.

Ahhhh, that's what he meant! lengua.gif

In which case, fair enough. I thought he meant completely different mutations, rather than the same mutations, but with some of them having different overall effects based on what God you follow.

That was just me misunderstanding what he meant by his statement, rather than not having heard the podcast or whatnot.

I read this in the article Corruption, Infamy and Apotheosis http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2217

The gifts of the Chaos Gods take the form of mutations, and many of these have a two tier effect. Such mutations have a primary effect, which applies to every character that gains it, and a secondary effect, which is applicable to characters dedicated to a particular Chaos God. For example, a classic Chaos mutation is the Additional Limb, the primary effect of which is to grant the Heretic the Multiples Arms Trait. If the Heretic is dedicated to Khorne, the new limb bristles with bony spines, granting attacks made with it the Tearing quality. If he is dedicated to Slaanesh, the limb is so lithe and dextrous in its movements that its attacks are carried out at +10 to the character’s Weapon Skill. If the Heretic is dedicated to Nurgle, the limb oozes necrotic slime, which grants its attacks the Toxic (1) quality. A character dedicated to Tzeentch is gifted with a limb that darts and writhes in such an unpredictable manner that he can use it to Disarm opponents as a Free Action.

It seems that there is not specific mutations to gods as I said, but the same mutation will have different forms depending of the god. Neither mind, in many cases the same mutation would be so different in appearance, that it would be considered as distinct mutations in the setting, although being the same in the rules. I think.

It was just a confusion over semantics lengua.gif They are effectively the same thing, though, granted.

MILLANDSON said:

Did we think Mr Lord Ork was perhaps misbehaving?

Edit: Removed confused part.

I still find the remaining part confusing.

Lord Ork said:

I still find the remaining part confusing.

Trust me. This is much less confusing.
Had my idiot hat on again.

I'll almost certainly be playing a follower of Nurgle as my first character, a renegade Magos Biologis whose field of study is the creation, effects and spread patterns of viruses. Currently fleeing the Mechanicus after introducing a number of particularly virulent strains, that he derived from captured cultists, into a servitor workforce to see how they developed 'in the wild', so to speak. Of course he fully intended to kill the viruses off with pathogens once his experiment was complete, but the Forgeworld apparently objected to a small but significant percentage of their workforce being turned into plague zombies and he was forced to leave before he could gather all the date he wanted. Ah well, there's always another population center to begin again in! ;)

MILLANDSON said:

An amazing source of reference for anything chaotic is the second edition Realm of Chaos book for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. It features hundreds of pages of god specific, undivided and beastmen mutations and wierdo things. Ive used the tables quite a bit in the various 40k RPG lines and they add great variety and random factor too (lots of d100 mutation or gift tables).

I would consider it, flavor wise I would either play Nurgle, Tzeentch or undivided. I want to see what kind of rules they put along with being marked by Nurgle first.

When I first heard medicae was a Nurgle skill, I immediately thought "I'm gonna be a Doctor! He's going to be a Nurgle Cultist!"

The most basic person to fall to Nurgle is a medical professional trying to cure an incurable plague for Nurgle heals as many plagues as he creates.

Another person likely to join Nurgle is a person dieing of a random plague, he offers immunity to many illnesses.

Imagine a young hulk dweller, their ship rotting around them, rust and fungus all they see. They are "rescued" and sent to an Asepta orphanage and find their way climbing the ranks of the sisterhood. As time passes the cleanliness and sterility of the order houses begin to weigh on their soul. slowly and subtly they begin to dream of rust and decay, of beautiful fungal growths and glow moss, soon they find themselves in the welcoming arms of Nurgle they flee into the night to chase their dreams of finding their old home and their childhood, following Nurgle the whole way.

Nurgle offers many things to many people.