how many rounds in a minute?

By player461745, in Grimm RPG

I have looked and looked for how many rounds there are in a minute but just can't find it. I began wondering while reading the pages on the levels of Imaginings (how long they last).

I am also wondering how many minutes are in a scene. I only ask this question to make certain I have a proper feel for how time works. My assumption is that scenes are any number of minutes based on the situation and the narrator's discretion. I am however convinced that there must be a specific number of rounds in a minute.

Also level 4+ imaginings must last only for one scene, which is possibly less than how long a level 3 imagining could last (probably would with a 5/6 chance of such). The level 4+ imaginings are however so powerful that they strictly effect only the scene? (of course everything comes down to the narrator's choice.

I think your general assumptions are mostly correct.

With regards to rounds, I have never calculated time into my rounds (and vice versa) and I think it's best that way since you already have so many other things to juggle while managing a game. If my player created an imagining for 5 minutes, I usually only assess time passing while in narrative, in other words, out of combat. It's best to use your discretion; you'll find it rather easy to feel how much time has passed while your characters play and perform time-consuming actions. When you feel enough time has passed , be confident with your decision and your players will believe and trust you.

But if we were to look at, we can safely assume a single round only lasts mere seconds. Don't forget each party acts together performing their individual turns and it would be very rare to have an encounter that has more than three parties, so it doesn't matter how many characters are involved taking turns. Thus the general amount of time that passes during combat is really insignificant.

About level 4 Imaginings, yes it might seem silly they last only one scene compared to level 3 (1d6 scenes), but as you said they can be concieved as very powerful and should only last awhile. But be careful, because we are only referring to environmental changes - level 3 item Imaginings last for 1d6 scenes as well, but level 4 item Imaginings last an entire story! That can be a very long time depending on how long your campaign is.

I'll be happy to get some feedback.

Thank you much for your reply.

I am new to Role playing games (having played D&D once as a hero). I have chosen to try my hand at Grimm being attracted to the streamlined ability system of Grimm. My background is in boardgames so I am used to more "rigid" story-telling and mechanics. I can see that a malleable time system empowers the narrator to design the narrative. Not to mention that the whole system is malleable overall. I am looking forward to finding and making use of this freedom as a narrator.

If one were to set a round to a specific length, 3 seconds seemed right to me. Actually I wondered if I had read that in the rulebook and just could not find it again (I was looking for that before I posted here).

and, Yep, that was what I was thinking concerning the imaginings, although I had forgotten the difference between environmental and item imaginings. It is good to here my understanding confirmed. Thanks.

A staple I tend to run with rpg's is that a round is 6 seconds. This allows for a reasonable amount of movement and action to take place without to much time where people could do several things which should be in seperate rounds. As for a scene W.O.D. describes their version of scenes in a very cool way. A scene is like when you're watching a movie or tv show and it changes from one local to another. Ie one scene might be the players entering a castle and slowly walking across the entrance when they encounter and fight the cards. After the fight the scene cuts to them resting and cleaning up or perhaps just moving further in, etc.