Toughness! More questions!

By Adamaro, in Battles of Westeros

I have a few question regarding Toughness and ranged attacks.

1. There are some cards where a unit takes a hit in order to attack as one rank higher unit. Can toughness negate this effect while unit still gets the bonus?

2. Damage when unit gets black (retreat) flags rolled against it and can not retreat. Can toughness prevent this damage?

3. Do cover (in house) bonus and toughness stack?

4. Ranged attacks and directional retreat - if unit is hit with a ranged attack (black flag) that causes unit to retreat - must the unit retreat away from a direction from which attack came since this is not melee attack?

tnx :)

1. I'm not sure but I'd rule no because no one is inflicting damage on you.

2. My thought is yes it does but only if there were no hits in the roll that gave you the retreat, otherwise it's already blocked it's one attack.

3. Yes definetly. The example in the rulebook confirms it.

4. The retreat rules are the same for melee and ranged attacks as it says "attack" and not "melee attack".

Adamaro said:

I have a few question regarding Toughness and ranged attacks.

1. There are some cards where a unit takes a hit in order to attack as one rank higher unit. Can toughness negate this effect while unit still gets the bonus?

2. Damage when unit gets black (retreat) flags rolled against it and can not retreat. Can toughness prevent this damage?

3. Do cover (in house) bonus and toughness stack?

4. Ranged attacks and directional retreat - if unit is hit with a ranged attack (black flag) that causes unit to retreat - must the unit retreat away from a direction from which attack came since this is not melee attack?

tnx :)

1. No. It is clarified in the rules that commanders cannot take hits to trigger tactics on order cards. And I believe that the designer also clarified that toughness cannot be used to trigger tactics for free, because, technically, your unit didn't take the hit. That might be a clarification that the designer needs to add to the next FAQ/Errata, if it's not already there. I don't remember.

2. Toughness prevents the first hit and inability to retreat is counted as hits, so, yes, if it is the first hit, toughness will negate it.

3. Yes

4. Clarified recently by the designer. Will be in the next FAQ/Errata document, hopefully. Ranged attacks trigger "normal" retreats away from the opponents side of the board. Only melee attacks trigger directional retreats.

If you would like official answers, submit these questions to the rules query page. They won't answer rules questions posted on the forum:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp

It would be great if you could do this, as it will increase the chances of these items appearing in the next version of the FAQ/Errata. If you do submit official queries, please post the answers here.

Thanks.

Tnx for replies :) As for official queries ... cant they just read the forum? It is not busyest on the net.

Adamaro said:

Tnx for replies :) As for official queries ... cant they just read the forum? It is not busyest on the net.

They can, but they won't. They claim that it will get too chaotic having all the questions randomly ordered on the forum. Or something like that.

Anyway, I think you can just cut and paste your post above.

No problem about the answers. Hope you're enjoying the game.

Adamaro said:

Could be that it is the same team for ALL or a group of ffg games and some forums have loads of rule questions. To get an impression visit the A game of thrones LCG forum sorpresa.gif

I've been a moderator of a game company's forum before and I know there was some debate there whether to allow the designers of the games to freely interact with the fans. I have little doubt what FFG's policy is: that of very little interaction.

The reason for the debate is the problem of controlling the "voice of the company" or creating a situation of confusion between company policy and something that might be an idle thought or speculation from a game designer.

Every post by a game designer on an FFG forum I've seen so far has been very limited, controlled, and for a specific purpose. And this is across ALL game lines. So it's not a specific designer's preference, it's a company wide policy. The team behind Battles of Westeros likely CANNOT freely interact on this forum without endangering their job.