Expansion info

By reapersaurus, in Kingsburg

RedMike said:

Having impatiently waited for this game to be re-released for so long, and only having recently acquired it, it has become a firm favorite with my wife, who is a rare game player indeed, and seemed to work well with both of my nieces recently. It has immense replay value, and some great game dynamics, namely the use of the dice to influence the advisors. Having read a little on the upcoming supplement here, it looks as if the game is going to become even better - I was uncertain at first about how such a comprehensively compact and 'complete' seeming game like 'Kingsburg' could ever have more added, but I think the extra options have been well thought through.

I am quite excited by the idea of 'events' adding a dimension to a game turn, and the idea of the Governors having their own character I think was an interesting twist too. In any case, the idea of it being a series of added modules gives players the opportunity to test out which parts are likely to work best for them. This has to have been my best purchase of the year in terms of board games - even over other rather amazing games like Agricola or Pandemic.

You truly know how to melt a game designer's heart.

Thanks for your nice words (could you post this message on bgg, too ;) ? ), I am happy you, your wife and nieces appreciate the game. Hopefully the expansion will not let you down. As you wrote, we designed it in modules so you can test and insert what you like and leave out what you dislike.

Have fun.

Any news on the release date? I'm thinking it will be end of July but maybe that date got moved?

My local store said it was in the warehouse on Wednesday and that they were expecting it by tomorrow (Friday). Here's hoping....

I'll be waiting for your comments... lucky you American players that can play the expansion one month in advance of us poor Italian designers gui%C3%B1o.gif

My group played a three-player game yesterday. The character cards and destiny cards added more flavor to the game. It was a close game (I rarely used the Politician card that I ended up using but it did throw off my opponent's thinking because I'll always have the option of influencing the Politician). Even the person who won by a single victory point had a chance to rarely use the Prince card he had. The only player with a static power, the General, managed to tie with me.

Yes, I agree with RedMike. Kingsburg has great game dynamics and immense replay value. I also was uncertain at first when I heard about the expansion how it could possibly add more dimension to a game that already seemed complete and well-balanced. However, I was delighted to see how much more depth and variety it added to the game. The elements that the expansion adds to the game were well thought out. One thing I've noticed after playing with the expansion, is that I don't fall into the same rut. I don't build the same buildings in pretty much the same order every game. Having a seven row province mat that can be modified with replacement rows makes it so that you don't have the same starting board every game. This can change your building strategy, which I liked. Even before I got the expansion, I never thought the repetitive nature of building the same stuff every game detracted from it. Another thing I like about the expansion is that there is less chance involved when it comes to getting reinforcement troops. You get to decide exactly how many addtional troops you wish to commit that turn.

In my opinion, the base game is still a very complete and well-balanced game, good for those new to gaming. It is more of a gateway game, whereas with the expansion, its definitely more of a gamers game. And one of the really nice things about the expansion is that you can use one or all of the various components of the expansion, in any combination you choose. When I saw the expansion at SpoCon (which happened to be the week it was released), I just had to get it. My uncertainty about the expansion melted away, and I ended up buying it at the con. Definitely worth it!! KUDOS to the designers!!