Encounters Involving Lieutenants - rtl

By thejoker, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

hello

i have a question about Encounters when some Lieutenants are besieging Tamalir

i understand that the party have to attack one Lieutenants at a time, and if all the heroes die during the encounter the week end immediately.

What does happen if the party of the heroes flee from the encounter? they can encounter the second Lieutenants in the same week or they have to wait the next week?

an another one:

if the party wants to attack a Lieutenant that is besieging tamalir, they have to be in Tamalir or they can even if they are 1 trail away? (ie if they are at Greyhaven)

thank you everyone

thejoker said:

What does happen if the party of the heroes flee from the encounter? they can encounter the second Lieutenants in the same week or they have to wait the next week?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the week ends if the heroes flee an encounter. It won't stop the LT from seiging, at any rate.

thejoker said:

an another one:

if the party wants to attack a Lieutenant that is besieging tamalir, they have to be in Tamalir or they can even if they are 1 trail away? (ie if they are at Greyhaven)

Yes, they can move from one trail away and then attack an LT on the space where they stop (they can do this from two spaces away if they have the Staff of the Wild.) Attacking LTs happens when the heroes take a Move action. Technically, if they're already on Tamalir, what they do is declare a Move action for the week and then just don't move anywhere.

sounds like a great game , i'm tempted .

Steve-O said:

thejoker said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the week ends if the heroes flee an encounter. It won't stop the LT from seiging, at any rate.

No, the week does not end if the heroes flee from an encounter.
Yes, they can encounter a second Lt immediately if they wish.

ok thank you so much!

and now another question...

i read in this forum that the overlord can use some treachery points to buy spawn cards during an encounter with a lieutenant

i read that spawning monster are placed off the board and can move onto the bord on the OL'next turn (just like reinforcments in all respect)

the question is: how much threat does it cost?

ie. the OL wants to spawn 2 ferrox and play the card "Drinkers of blood" that costs 5 threat

so i have to sum the threat cost written in the table at pg.16 of the rolebook? (in this case 4 foreach ferrox)

5+4+4 = 13???

or i have to pay only 5 for the two ferrox?

sorry for my bad english :)

thejoker said:

ok thank you so much!

and now another question...

i read in this forum that the overlord can use some treachery points to buy spawn cards during an encounter with a lieutenant

i read that spawning monster are placed off the board and can move onto the bord on the OL'next turn (just like reinforcments in all respect)

the question is: how much threat does it cost?

ie. the OL wants to spawn 2 ferrox and play the card "Drinkers of blood" that costs 5 threat

so i have to sum the threat cost written in the table at pg.16 of the rolebook? (in this case 4 foreach ferrox)

5+4+4 = 13???

or i have to pay only 5 for the two ferrox?

sorry for my bad english :)

You pay the card cost and get the figures on the card (5 threat in your example).
The 'table' costs are for not-card reinforcements, if you are allowed them.

I had a related question regarding lieutenant encounters happening during the Move phase: Do they take the place of the normal encounter one could otherwise have moving along the trail to the lieutenant's location? Or do you roll for a normal encounter when you move along the trail to the lieutenant's location, and then fight the lieutenant immediately afterward?

You roll for a normal encounter as usual. If and when the heros arrive at the Lt.´s location, they may attack him.

Thanks.

One more lieutenant-encounter question: It says that the heroes "may" attack a lieutenant when they reach the place where he is, and that a lieutenant may attack heroes. Does this apply even if heroes are in a city? And what if the lieutenant arrives first?

Example: If a lieutenant is at Riverwatch, do the heroes have the ability to enter Riverwatch and restock, then fight the lieutenant next turn? Or do you need to fight the lieutenant to make it into the city?

Likewise, if the heroes are already in Riverwatch when the lieutenant arrives, does the lieutenant have the ability to attack the party immediately?

Gramarye said:

Thanks.

One more lieutenant-encounter question: It says that the heroes "may" attack a lieutenant when they reach the place where he is, and that a lieutenant may attack heroes. Does this apply even if heroes are in a city? And what if the lieutenant arrives first?

Example: If a lieutenant is at Riverwatch, do the heroes have the ability to enter Riverwatch and restock, then fight the lieutenant next turn? Or do you need to fight the lieutenant to make it into the city?

Likewise, if the heroes are already in Riverwatch when the lieutenant arrives, does the lieutenant have the ability to attack the party immediately?

Yes it applies. Cities are not relevant to encounters.

The heroes can attack a Lt any turn that they took a move-week action (even if they did not actually move). They can Visit (restock is the in-dungeon town turn) at the end of any week they did a move action and ended in a town - but only after any Lt encounters they initiate.

Lts can attack a party already in a town - thematically the 'heroes' cannot refuse to engage the Lt or they will lose the support of the populace.

Corbon said:

Steve-O said:

thejoker said:

No, the week does not end if the heroes flee from an encounter.
Yes, they can encounter a second Lt immediately if they wish.

They can encounter the second Lt, can they re~encounter the first? ie; can they just keep attacking the Lt over and over fleeing each time it looks like things are going south for them sending one off to flee so they can come back full and try again? Does this mean they can keep attacking the Lt right up until they decide to finally do a restock option, or is it just limited to "additional" Lts with each being encounterable once per week?

It is limited to additional Lt.s. One particular Lt. can be encountered only once per week.