Gods

By vastrix, in Black Crusade

So there are Chaos Gods. A few meager surviving Eldar Gods. Two Ork Gods (who may only exist within the psychic Waaugh energy of the Hordes). The C'Tan are Dark Gods after a fashion. What about humanity? Do they only have Chaos Gods? Trillions of people through the ages and a multitude of religions. Have none of them spawned Gods?

There's only One true god of the men: the god emperor and the god machine.

There are plenty of gods for humanity to worship, the Warp is just full of them! :) Seriously the Warp is the emotional mirror of the human race so I would ask what gods else than those the Chaos would humanity need?

The emperor of mankind wiped out all vestiges of world religions when he united humanity into the imperium of mankind.

During the Great Crusade preceding the Horus Heresy his legions of space marines went forward reconquering the galaxy and the imperium followed with iterators that espoused the Imperial Truth . Basically, logic, reason and science over religion. Which is why it's so ironic that the "god-emperor" of mankind is worshiped by the imperium as their primary faith.

To the imperium at large, the Omnissiah is just another facet of the god-emperor, but in reality it is the Void Dragon, one of the C'tan that the emperor defeated on Earth and then imprisoned on Mars within the Noctis Labyrinth. The presence of the Void Dragon on Mars is what led the humans there to advance technologically and form the Mechanicum.

So, humanity has 2 gods really (and a host of saints) The God-Emperor of Mankind and the Omnissiah of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

It should be noted that the vast majority of the Adeptus Mechanicus believes that the Emperor is the Omnissiah, and know absolutely nothing about the Void Dragon.

Considering how often the four primary Chaos Gods take worship under another name (Kharnesh, Nergal, etc., etc.), I would assume that the 'power' of their worship still goes to the Emperor.

And apparently (though the fluff has flip-flopped around on this so much..) the only thing keeping the Emperor from becoming a proper god is that his body is still being sustained by the Golden Throne.

Yeah, when he finally kicks it he will asend to godhoodness which may or may not be a good thing considering the LAST time something hit Critical faith mass (Slaansh I am looking at you.) PLus he might be a little annoyed at all the crap that has been carried out in his name.

Lord Steel said:

Plus he might be a little annoyed at all the crap that has been carried out in his name.

He knows, that's the real irony. I don't remember where it says that, but he globally knows.

Found it!

Here .

Second spoiler :)

I'm designing a game in which I reintroduce the God of the Hebrews into 40k.

I was wondering more about the pantheons of the Greek, the Norse, India, the Japanese, and all the other ones that the comic books like to throw at us (especially Marvel Comics with the Chaos War and all the hubbub about Thor with the movie coming out)

The Ecclesiarchy spreads the Imperial Creed to re-discovered human colonies by "ursurping" native religions and claiming that it really was the God-Emperor the local populace revered all along, so if any other gods existed, they may have simply seen their followers stolen by the Big E. ;)

There must be a ton of deities worshipped by humans all over the galaxy (I remember there was a " Cult of Artemis " mentioned by GW; it was suppressed and deemed heretical by the Imperial Church - see here for the real world deity Artemis), but I have never heard of any of them spawning a "true" god, as in "someone who gained special powers due to collective worship". Perhaps the number of faithful simply did not reach a critical mass yet; I don't know how many Eldar it took to create Slaanesh.