Maritime Sneakthief

By Rozy, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Maritime Sneakthief

House Lannister or House Greyjoy only.
Challenges: During a challenge in which there are fewer than 3 total participating characters, put Maritime Sneakthief into play, knelt, participating in the challenge on your side as the attacker. After the challenge resolves, discard Maritime Sneakthief from play and return all other participating characters to ther owners' hands.

Lets say I am attacking with one character and opponent deciedes to defend with 3 characters. Could I use Toll Gate (Challenges: Kneel Toll Gate to choose a non-unique character. Stand that character, and remove it from the challenge.) to remove my character from the challange and then play Maritime Sneakthief form hand or would the challanhe quit when I remove my only attacking character from the challange?

I think I could use it Maritime Sneakthief before I remove my character from the challange, but there would have to be only 3 total participating characters to do it, so if my opponent declares 3 defender, I am screwed.

As long as there are participating characters, the challenge continues. So even if you remove the only attacker, the fact that there are still participating defenders means there is still a challenge.

A challenge only "stops" for character removal if the ONLY participating character is removed.

You can throw in the Sneakthief anytime there are fewer than 3 participating characters so long as you are the attacker. I've seen people throw him in after they have declared attackers and before the opponent declares defenders. Any defenders that are declared after that, even if it brings the total number of participating characters to more than 3, will be subject to the "return to hand" effect. (The number of participating characters is only checked when the Sneakthief is triggered.)

For example: I'm playing Lannister and declare an intrigue attack with Enemy Informer. Then, before you declare defenders, I throw in the Sneakthief. You can either a) declare defenders and have them return to hand, even if you win the challenge or b) let me win the challenge unopposed. Either way, I'm in good shape because the Enemy Informer that goes back to my hand has that cool "after you play Enemy Informer from your hand..." effect.

Thanks, so if I am back to my original question.

Can I attack with one character, then see my opponents defender and if its 3 or lower I can use Toll Gate to remove my attacking char (to avoid returning him to my hand) so there are only 3 opponents chars right now in the challange and then play Maritime Sneakthief, loose the challange, discard him and my oponnent has to return 3 of his characters to his hand?

Rozy said:

Can I attack with one character, then see my opponents defender and if its 3 or lower I can use Toll Gate to remove my attacking char (to avoid returning him to my hand) so there are only 3 opponents chars right now in the challange and then play Maritime Sneakthief, loose the challange, discard him and my oponnent has to return 3 of his characters to his hand?

Sorry, I thought I had given enough information to apply to the specific scenario....

Strictly speaking, no, you can't do that. Maritime Sneakthief can only be played when there are FEWER than 3 total characters participating in the challenge. So if removing your 1 attackers leaves 3 total defenders, there would not be fewer than 3 participating characters and the Sneakthief's play restrictions could not be met.

Now, if your opponent had only declared 2 defenders, then removing your one attacker would work. Since there are still participating characters after your attacker is removed, the challenge does continue and "during a challenge" effects can still be played. And removing your character both brings the total number of participating characters below 3 (meeting the Sneakthief's play restrictions) and stops your original attacker from participating (so it avoids the Sneakthief's effect). Your opponent's 2 defenders end up back in his/her hand.

oh, sorry, I was kind of lost in so much English that I overlooked that there is fewer then 3, not 3 or fewer

so thanks for your patient